Profile for N. P. Preston > Reviews

Content by N. P. Preston

N. P. Preston "Natty Patty" (London, UK)

Vegan Cooking for One: Over 150 simple and appetizing meals
Vegan Cooking for One: Over 150 simple and appetizing meals
by Leah Leneman

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the lonely vegan..., 3 Jun. 2010
The reason for me choosing this book was simple, Im vegan, my partner isn't and I wanted to prepare meals without all the confuddling mathematics of divding the ingredient amounts like I had found in other cookbooks.

Recipes in this book are quick and simple and I do stick toi the weekly shopping plan as much as possible, usually omitting the Sunday dinner recipe and I choose what to eat based on my schedule (I work in a bar with long and inconsistent hours) not when the book says so, but because each week the recipes re-use ingredients it does minimise food wastage effectively, which is anotehr problem I have working long and irregular hours like I do.

Another brilliant thing Ive found about this book is, even though my boyfriend is a meat eater we've managed to work it out so that he can add meat (replacing tofu) if and when he fancies, and all we have to do is double up the ingredients. It has transformed the way we shop, spending less money on food and throwing a lot less away with the added benefit of the meals being healthy.

The portions are of a healthy size, it leaves me either feeling very satisfied and full or with some leftovers for tomorrows lunch which is always a winner!

Some of the desserts are downright yummy (Thai banana sweet went down well)

The ingredients are easy to obtain, unlike some vegan recipe books which have left me scouring high and low in many a supermarket and health food shop, and the recipes themselves are extremely easy to prepare.

The only downside I feel about the book is that some of the recipes lack vegetables. I like using beans and have no problem with that but where some recipes are devoid of a healthy serving of vegetables I feel a bit cheated as I like to ensure Ive eaten enough fruit and vehg, nutrition is especially important when youre a vegan. There are ways around it if you are following the book, as you are free to choose your own lunch and breakfasts so I would recommend topping up on fresh fruit and veg on those meals to make up for it.

Overall, I highly recommend this book, its convenient for us due to our working patterns and the fact that one of us eats meat. Saving money and throwing less food in the bin with added bonus of you knowing you've eaten a decent dinner.

American Psycho
American Psycho
by Bret Easton Ellis

4.0 out of 5 stars My first BEE novel, 16 Dec. 2008
This review is from: American Psycho (Paperback)
This is my first book by BEE and only casually picked it up in the bookshop.
Its a well written book, not for the faint hearted as it can be quite graphic indetail and some parts rather disturbing (I cringed heavily when he mentions the animals)
I loved the intricate detail he put into every action and throughout the book I was imagining each detail, I wont go into too much detail as it will spoil the book.
The book is very dark and yet I managed to burst out with laughter in a few parts, Im not quite sure if that makes me crazy...
I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and am looking forward to reading another novel by BEE.
Reader will enjoy this book if they are fans of Palanuhiks works also.

by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 18 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Neverwhere (Paperback)
I loved this book.
I was recommended it by someone and was initially not convinced, and I don't regret changing my mind for a minute.

Ok, me being a bit blonde took me a while to realsie the names of some of the places and people were tube stations... But was overjoyed when it ''clicked' in my head.

It's set it London but, it's not, which is the beauty of it, as this place is this other world full of magic and fantasy. It's one of those books where you can truly appreciate an authors imagination and love for creating the book.

What more can I say about it, I'm the type of person that will sit down and read a book in one single sitting if I can, especially if I enjoy it.
And I deprived myself of sleep to fiish this one.

Rumspringa: To Be or Not to Be Amish
Rumspringa: To Be or Not to Be Amish
by Tom Shachtman

2.0 out of 5 stars I agree..., 18 Nov. 2008
I was expecting this to be a story based on real amish people etc etc. It just generated into some kind of essay, and the stories of the interviewee sometimes seemed irrelevant.

I wouldn't recommend this book to someone who has no understanding of religions and cultures like this as it is informative in the wrong way and critiques the Amish way of life in regards to their traditions and their schooling system.

As it has been said before i'm sure'rumspringa' for many isn't about a time for lewd experiementation with sex, drugs and rock n roll, but this book certainly makes it out to be. So it's a shame that this book can be used as a tool to be judgemental towards the faith if you didn't know otherwise.

I, myself didn't even finish it because I felt like I was reading a University textbook in some parts and the end parts felt like a conclusion to a rather longwinded and one sided essay, I especially stopped reading after he started darawing comparisions between amish and orthodox judaism. and the only parts that interested me were the stories, but it has pushed me to find another book detailing the Amish wasy of life, albeit one that depicts in a less judgemental fashion.