Profile for J. L. Jones > Reviews

Content by J. L. Jones

J. L. Jones "John L" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Medici Boy
The Medici Boy
Price: 3.36

2.0 out of 5 stars A decent read but not as good as I expected from having read the reviews, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Medici Boy (Kindle Edition)
A decent read but not as good as I expected from having read the reviews. Undoubtedly well-researched, but sometimes you get the impression that he has done so much research he is going to get the facts in front of you no matter how tangential to the plot. And the plot is somewhat one-dimensional. Donatello falls in love with Agnolo, his model (and the narrator's "brother"). Agnolo, a promiscuous young sodomite, comes and goes into Donatello's life. Meanwhile there is a little bit in the background about Cosimo di Medici's rivalry with the Albizzi clan. And that's about it really.

Stop Snoring, Anti Snoring Jaw Strap By My Snoring Solution W/ Free Sleep Package Included. New Comfort Fit Design. #1 Ranked Device on the Market. TRY RISK FREE!
Offered by The Ama"Zone" Health
Price: 89.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Miracles don't happen., 7 Aug 2014
Many users in the US find this product to be extremely helpful. Sadly I didn't. In fact I saw an increase in snoring when I used it. I guess I was hoping for a miracle.

Humax HDR-1000S 1TB Freesat Freetime Receiver (Requires Satellite Dish)
Humax HDR-1000S 1TB Freesat Freetime Receiver (Requires Satellite Dish)
Price: 199.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Box, 13 May 2014
This latest incarnation of the Humax Freesat box does an excellent job. Other reviewers have outlined its many attributes, but to my mind the most useful is the ability to control the box via an iPhone/iPad app. This makes it really easy to handle. e.g. making recordings is a very simple matter of tapping the relevant programme on your iPhone/iPad.
An excellent purchase.

Sennheiser RS 180 Open Digital Wireless Over-Ear Headphone
Sennheiser RS 180 Open Digital Wireless Over-Ear Headphone
Price: 169.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Performance, 13 May 2014
I purchased these headphones in an attempt to hear what is being said in the increasingly mumbled dialogue one gets on TV dramas these days. The result was outstanding. the phones come with a setting which clarifies spoken dialogue and slightly mutes the musical background. Result - crystal clear reception. As I purchased one set for my wife and one set for myself, the only small disadvantage is that we now have to shout to each other in order to communicate. It's worth noting that there is a very slight time delay between the sound that comes through the TV's speakers and that which comes via the headphones. This means that the best headphone reception is when the TV sound is off altogether. If you leave the TV sound on you get a slight echo when listening through the headphones.
But my overall judgement is that these are a very worthwhile investment.

Sennheiser HDR 180 Additional Digital Wireless Over-Ear Headphones (Without Transmitter)
Price: 109.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance, 13 May 2014
But my overall judgement is that these are a very worthwhile investment.

Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash For Canon EOS Cameras
Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash For Canon EOS Cameras
Price: 306.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Does an excellent job., 1 Mar 2014
Works well and does exactly what I wanted it to. I had to order an additional filter adapter for my 72mm macro lens but otherwise no issues.

Panasonic SD2502 Stainless Steel Bread Maker
Panasonic SD2502 Stainless Steel Bread Maker
Offered by Lakeland
Price: 149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Mar 2014
From the first use this bread maker has been magnificent. Produces excellent loaves all the time. I have never had a failure. The one issue I would mention is the fact that the crust usually comes out a little soft. I correct this by giving the loaves a rapid 10 minutes in the oven at 200C at the end of baking, which gives me a very crisp crust. It's important that you follow the instructions to the letter.

A Spy by Nature
A Spy by Nature
Price: 0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Just about OK, 17 May 2013
This review is from: A Spy by Nature (Kindle Edition)
Well, it's not Le Carré, that's for sure. Marginally diverting, with an accurate description of the Civil Service Selection Board (CSSB or sisby as he calls it) procedure. But the plot moves slowly, so slowly in parts that you begin to lose enthusiasm for continuing. His later novels are better.

Bose  SoundLink  Air Digital Music System
Bose SoundLink Air Digital Music System
Price: 249.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Only works on slow WiFi networks, 5 Feb 2013
I had problems connecting this to my WiFi network and after a long telephone conversation with Bose customer support I was finally told that the speaker does not work with 802.11n networks (which is what Virgin Media fibre optic provides). This is staggering information as the 802.11n standard is now well over two years old, while Apple's AirPlay system is less than two years old. What on earth is Bose doing selling a speaker that cannot cope with the most modern WiFi standard? Bose support's only proposed solution was to downgrade the speed of my wireless network to 802.11g. So in order to be able to use the SoundLink Air speaker I have to downgrade the performance of the entire network? Crazy! The speaker was returned.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2013 9:27 AM GMT

TP-Link TL-PA511KIT 500 Mbps Gigabit Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-Link TL-PA511KIT 500 Mbps Gigabit Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
Offered by In2digital
Price: 33.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it will do..., 29 Nov 2012
But as I have a house with four floors I discovered that by the time the computer signals travel all the way around my wiring system the speed drops off quite significantly. At the router, on the ground floor, the speed I get is about 80 Mbps. At the top of my house I am getting around 25 Mbps (ethernet or WiFi). But it works.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3