Profile for Christina Rossetti > Reviews

Christina Rossetti

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding debut, 29 Jan. 2012
"Before I Go To Sleep" is without doubt, one of the most outstanding thrillers I have read in recent years. Enthralling and engaging, Watson takes the reader on the gripping and often shocking journey of Christine, a woman living with amnesia. Every morning Christine wakes up and her husband, Ben, must help her account for twenty years she has lost since her accident. One day, after learning who and where she is, Christine receives a telephone call from neurologist Dr Nash, who instructs her to read the journal she has been keeping - unbeknownst to Ben - for the past several weeks. Piece by piece, Christine rediscovers her life and experiences joy, hardship, success and failure all over again. However, the disparity in her journal narrative leads to some horrifying and jarring plot twists; edging Christine and her reader closer and closer towards an astonishing finale, bringing her face to face with the reality of her accident and encouraging the reader to ask who you would trust if you could not rely on yourself.

"Before I Go To Sleep" is worthy of the five star review as it keeps the reader engaged and motivated to uncover Christine's full story. A very impressive debut; I look forward to SJ Watson's next work.

Pure Acai Berry 500mg 120 Capsules - Freeze Dried Organic Super Food Potent Health Dietary and Weight Loss Supplement
Offered by Troo Nutrition

5.0 out of 5 stars On my second packet!, 9 Feb. 2010
I was curious to see what the Acai Berry hype was and decided to try it myself. After taking the product twice/three times a day over 3-4 weeks I found that I lost a considerable amount of weight when combined with moderate excercise and over Christmas, when I couldn't excercise, I did not put any weight on despite indulging. Personally, I have had no negative side effects but rather found that taking the tablets did make me feel more energised and I did sleep better.I find these tablets to be most effective when combined with a sensible eating plan and when taking regular excercise and I cannot recommend them enough if you are buying these tablets alongside starting a new fitness regime. If you are looking for a "quick fix" then I don't think this will give the results you want, but as a long term sustainable plan the supplements are very effective. Troo Health Care are also a pleasure to use; I ordered my second shipment on the Tuesday and it arrived on Thursday. I believe this product to be very reasonably priced and I will undoubtedly be using their services whenever I need more Acai Berry supplements.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2012 12:39 AM BST

Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years
Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years
by Sue Townsend

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, hilarious and utterly brilliant, 7 Feb. 2010
(SPOILERS)

This is possibly the most hilarious addition ever, although arguably the most devastating as Adrian falls on hard times worse than ever. "Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years" is incredibly well written, introduces us to yet more adorable and despicable characters and finally solves the mystery of Rosie's paternity. I found Adrian more engaging in this book than ever before, and the situations he finds himself the most hilarious yet. The only snag would be the deliberate cliffhanger ending and Daisy's sudden personality change, although I am hoping that this will right itself in the next addition as I'm not a huge Pandora Braithwaite fan. Overall a must read for any fan and yet another brilliant installment to the Mole saga.

Engleby
Engleby
by Sebastian Faulks

5.0 out of 5 stars Profound, heartbreaking and diabolical, 27 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Engleby (Paperback)
This truly is a mezmerising masterpiece. Virtually reviewing this novel will entail spoilers so I will leave off by saying that this novel is disturbingly powerful and hauntingly beautiful, it stays with you a long time and you will never encounter anyone quite like Mike Engleby. "Engleby" is must read for anyone seeking something a little different.

Requiem: Brethren Trilogy Book 3
Requiem: Brethren Trilogy Book 3
by Robyn Young

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 3 May 2009
I have been an avid follower of the "Brethren" trilogy ever since my boyfriend left his copy at my place : I could not put any of these books down! "Requiem" is superb, a truly breath taking conclusion to the story of Will Campbell. I read "Requiem" in two days flat and I loved every minute of it (except maybe the introduction of Christian!)

The reader gets to engage a lot more with Will due to his role as a Father to the wayward, confused Rose, his loyalty to Scotland, his desire to complete the dreams of his predecessors with the Anima Templi and his growing hatred of Kings Edward and Phillipe.

The plot includes the introduction of William Wallace and the re-introduction of Will's family. Many uses of affective fallacy create a vivid, rich environment in which the mind can thrive and truly takes the reader on the journey with Will.

I do not wish to reveal the entire novel but in short, this novel is the perfect conclusion to the saga of Will Campbell - I was in tears by the end. Truly, a masterpiece.

The British Viking
The British Viking
by J. Rapilliard

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad, 3 May 2009
This review is from: The British Viking (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of Bernard Cornwell's "Uhtred" novels and bought "The British Viking" hoping to continue my recently discovered love of viking literature. Unfortunately, "The British Viking" was a huge disappointment : I found the characters bland, plot dreary and sentence structure incredibly simplistic. Whilst undoubtedly the "twist" at the end was interesting I did not feel that the rest of the novel was as good as the "twist" which is why I am awarding this novel a 1/5.

Breaking Dawn: Twilight, Book 4 (Twilight Saga)
Breaking Dawn: Twilight, Book 4 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, badly written and completey illogical., 4 Dec. 2008
This series, although with some obvious faults, had kept me interested until I reached "Breaking Dawn". As a sixteen year old girl, I was expecting again the "does he love me? does he not?" dilemma Bella finds herself in constantly as well as the guilt for her love for Jacob - a common theme in the majority of "teen cult" novels. Instead, I put the book down after an hours attempted reading, in hysterical laughter mingled with scorn.

Bella, was once a character one found interesting - if not infuriating at times - she morphed into every teenage girls nightmare : the "perfect" girl. Whilst in the previous books Bella's negativity was sarcastic it turns into a confused and twisted hybrid of teenage pregnancy with intermingled, random outbursts of "love" before realising how beautiful and wonderful she is when she hunts with Edward. Bella's originality dies the moment she sleeps with Edward - she becomes an incredibly passive and boring character.

Edward, whilst once having an army of girls with "Mrs Edward Cullen" adorned on their msn names now faces the backlash of becoming a stereotypical nagging and withholding wife - he will not sleep with Bella because its just not right etcetcetc. The constant "ohmygod what have I done?" grates on the reader as well as the repulsion of him offering Bella sexually to Jacob. Edward never builds back into the Prince he was and the character changes, leaving the majority of my friends disgruntled and unhappy.

Jacob remains the only character true to form, the only character one can empathise with due to his very real situation of being caught between a girl he loves, her partner he detests and a race against time. But then Meyer had to go and "stir it up" by, after two books of "Jacob is a werewolf- ARGH!" to "Oh he's only a shape-shifter?" Cue a "What the ??" from numerous readers all over the world. This situation heightens when he imprints on their child - Renessmee (or however you spell it) and completely contradicts his adoration of Bella and frankly sickened me. Okay its "cute" but come on, after years of fantasizing of Bella ...

IN conclusion, don't read this book. Let the saga be remembered as being fun, a little daft in times but being generally a crowd pleaser with every teenage girl's dream being realised. Do not insult yourself by buying this book, the characters are warped beyond recognition and the storyline caves in on its on stupidity.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2010 11:29 AM BST

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Dec. 2008
Meyer's idea of a teenage girl falling for the "ideal" teenage boy is faltered by one thing : the standard of writing. I have to say, I was gripped by the twists and turns of the plot and remained completely engrossed as the majority of readers found. However, I felt as though the reader had no one to identify with in the novel as the situation was wholly too "perfect" to be taken seriously. Overall, a fantastic read I would say for 13-15 age range, older readers will passively enjoy it but find that it is more fairy tale than real life.