Profile for Ian Paul > Reviews

Content by Ian Paul

Ian Paul

Page: 1 | 2
Art Deco Complete: The Definitive Guide to the Decorative Arts of the 1920s and 1930s
by Alastair Duncan
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 4 May 2014
I collect Art Deco figures and glassware. I found this book an absolute delight and all for 31.00 - less than the price of a meal out for two. I will be using this as a reference together my my other books on this subject and Art Nouveau. oh by the way I note that someone was a little unhappy that Charles R Macintosh is note included - I have to admit that I thought he was more of the Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts period than Art Deco hence him not being mentioned.
I could recommend this book. The only area really missing was architecture - an excuse to buy another book!

British Battleships of World War Two: The Development and Technical History of the Royal Navy's Battleships and Battlecruisers from 1911 to 1946
by Alan Raven

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential to your Naval library, 9 April 2014
Words cannot describe how useful and comprehensive this book is. Excellent text, lavish photographs and line drawings of the highest quality. Every battleship and battle-cruiser is comprehensively described with service history and modifications For a one volume book on the subject only one other book can be compared to it and that is R A Burt's book on the same subject.

I paid just over 100.00 for this, even so I'm glad I posses a copy.

Panzer Colours: Camouflage and Markings of the German Panzer Forces, 1939-45 v. 3
by Bill Murphy

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for my collection, 9 April 2014
I bought Volumes I and II when they were published and found them very useful when making 1/35 tanks. I recently bought this after much deliberation as I didn't want to pay too much for what is essentially a 96 page book.

I'm glad I did.

I build late German tanks in addition to 1/700 warships. This is very useful for me as a reference for colour schemes and photographs of the Tigers and Panthers from 1943.

DRAGON 6208 Sd Kfz 182 Kingtiger Henschel Model Kit 1:35
DRAGON 6208 Sd Kfz 182 Kingtiger Henschel Model Kit 1:35
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online
Price: 57.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Ready for an improvement, 18 Mar 2014
I've never bought a Dragon kit before. General reviews on their products in 1/35 scale tended to be very good, so I bought this to practice on before I build the 1/16 Tamiya version (I normally make 1/700 waterline warships). I was attracted to this rather than the Tamiya version because of the individual tracks in the kit rather than the vinyl ones Tamiya supply. In my naivety I thought they would assemble by being either pinned together or snap together with flexibility - not so. Given this I wish now I had bought the Tamiya version. Apart from that the quality of the moulding is excellent. Please note this is a late version Tiger II released I believe from either December 1944 or January 1945. This being the case the artwork on the box is incorrect. Zimmerit was not used from Autumn 1944 onwards.

Art Nouveau
Art Nouveau
by G Fahr-Becker
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A good general read on the subject, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Art Nouveau (Hardcover)
I really don't know a great deal about this subject and simply wanted a general book about it to lead me into the subject. `For the money this good was excellent. Clear straight forward narrative and superb photographs made this an interesting read. For someone like me who wants a general knowledge of this subject an excellent buy. I paid less than 10.00 - little more than a paperback.

Beethoven: Symphony 9
Beethoven: Symphony 9
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 16.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm., 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Beethoven: Symphony 9 (Audio CD)
I have grown up with the 9th conducted by Erich Klieber. The orchestra was the Vienna Philharmonic in a concert recorded in 1953. This was a release of Decca in the late 1960's. It was and is sublime. Problem is no-one produces this on CD. Only Naxos does it as a download but the actual music files are not recognised by my CD players when I burn it to disc, except my Bose.

I bought this version as I am reliably informed that Otto Klemperer was an excellent conductor and interpreted Beethoven's music as he intended it. I find this hard to believe after listening to this, The third movement is played must faster than Klieber conducts and the choral section in the 4th movement I can only describe as weak. By paying more for a premium recording I expected more, much more. To top it all I thought this was the Berlin Philharmonic orchestra - it's not. The label does not make that clear. I guess I'll have to but Karajan's version.

The Silk Road
The Silk Road
by Frances Wood

4.0 out of 5 stars A good layman's history, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Silk Road (Hardcover)
After reading Peter Hopkirk's books on Central Asia anything else had to set a high standard to equal them. This narrative does does gig a good account historically and culturally from the Han/Roman times to the rise of Communist China.

Mussolini's Navy: A Reference Guide to the Regia Marina 1930-1945
Mussolini's Navy: A Reference Guide to the Regia Marina 1930-1945
by Maurizio Brescia
Price: 36.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 2 July 2013
I bought recently the book simply devioted to the littoria Class battleships and thought that was excellent. For a one volume book on the Italian Navy this is excellent. I am a modelmaker and this will help me enormously. I would recommend this book without qualification to anyone interested in Naval history.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Sparse on the photographs, 2 July 2013
I am a member of the Folio Society, but I did expect much more from this edition. Whilst it was interesting to read the writes' thoughts og the time on the landscapes and towns illustrated, this is about a photographer and his work. I simply expected more of Mr Frith's work to be included. If it's examples of Victorian photography you're after, I'm not sure if this is for you.

Fables (Collector's Library)
Fables (Collector's Library)
by Aesop
Price: 6.44

4.0 out of 5 stars A gift for someone., 2 July 2013
You cannot faulty Aesop. I would have given this five stars if the format was a little larger, but the stories/lessons are timeless.

Page: 1 | 2