Profile for Andrew Pearce > Reviews

Content by Andrew Pearce

Andrew Pearce (Cambridge, UK)

iPhone 6 Screen Protector, Anker Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector (4.7 inch) for Apple iPhone 6 (2014) 9H Hardness and Easy Bubble-Free Installation [Lifetime Warranty]
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent screen protector for the iPhone 6S, 17 Oct. 2015
I got this with a little trepidation - I've had poor experiences with plastic protectors and so haven't used them for my last couple of iPhones, but since discovering glass ones I decided to try again and I haven't been disappointed. The method of application, using stickers as hinges, is simple but effective. It's worth taking a moment to make sure the protector is perfectly aligned - it's exactly the size of the screen so you don't want it misaligned, and the cutout for the front-facing camera needs to be lined up particularly carefully. This is easy to do if you follow the instructions, however.

Once fitted it's been really good - the glass surface feels as good as the phone's own screen to touch and the clarity and brightness of the display is not noticeably unaffected. I haven't noticed any isses with touch sensitivity at all and force touch on my iPhone 6S still works really well through it. After a little over two weeks it's still in good condition - it has a single minor scratch on it so far, but I tend to treat my phone quite roughly so this is par for the course. The only issue I've had is that the protector has perhaps 1mm around the edges where it doesn't look like it's quite adhered - I think this is because of the curved screen. However, this doesn't affect the display at all and the protector doesn't lift - the gap is so small there's no way I could get my nail under it, for example.

Overall I've been very happy with it.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Anker 2nd Gen Astro E4 13000mAh 2-Port (3A Output) Fast Portable Charger  External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets (Black)
Anker 2nd Gen Astro E4 13000mAh 2-Port (3A Output) Fast Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Massive capacity, 20 April 2015
This battery is exactly what I was hoping for - something that's very high capacity, yet still compact, that I can sling in my bag for a long day and not have to worry about any of my devices. So far on a single charge it's recharged my iPhone 5S several times and my iPad Air 2 once on top of that, and it's still got charge left. I've even slung it in a coat pocket, but it was a little heavy for comfort in there.

Pipetto iPad Air 2 Case - Origami Smart Cover - Black (Compatible with iPad Air 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant case at a great price, with only a very minor flaw, 19 Feb. 2015
This is an excellent product at a good price - it provides the same flexibility as the Apple covers, but the folded mode is significantly more stable. I use this case twice daily on a bumpy train and it hasn't once shown any signs of falling over. It's also compact enough to take up less than half the width of an average shared train table. The embedded magnets work very reliably with my iPad Air 2 and the case stays closed when being carried sideways, and they also hold the case in its folded positions very well. The case has perfectly position cutouts and grips the iPad firmly whilst still not protruding over the front surface at all, hence it closes to a slim, compact form.

The reason for 4 rather than 5 stars is the flocked interior of the case has a tendency to shed a little, and also leaves faint smudges on the screen in the pattern of the lining (I do not use a screen protector). This is nothing that a quick wipe with a lint-free cloth won't deal with, but it's a minor annoyance that I wanted to note.

I'm also not sure how long the hinged parts of the case will last, since they flex quite a lot during use and I'm not particularly gentle with it, but they're not show any signs of wear after almost two months of constant use which I find reassuring. Frankly at this price and my level of usage, I'll be more than satisfied if the case lasts at least a full year before needing replacement.

Union 34 Stripe Rucksack Pannier Bag
Union 34 Stripe Rucksack Pannier Bag
Price: £33.99 - £99.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, clever design, poor bottom mounting, 16 May 2014
The design of this bag is clever and there are an awful lot of storage pockets on the inside. I quite happily carry a laptop, a full change of clothes and a waterproof jacket, and that's without using the expansion zip which adds 1-2 more inches of depth.

To convert to a pannier, the shoulder straps detach into two halves, the bottom of which are zipped into a pocket on the back along with the belt straps. The top halves of the straps fold over the bag to the front and tuck into elasticated pockets there to keep them from flapping around. There's also a separate pocket with a waterproof cover for the whole bag in a jaunty bright orange.

The bag is somewhat heavy but not excessively so, and when mounted on the bike I don't even really notice it's there - I certainly don't feel the bike is at all unbalanced. As a backpack it sits a little higher than most, probably because of its rigidity, and I wouldn't want to go for a 10 mile hike with it - but for walking around towns and the like it's fine. The carry handle on top is also nicely sturdy.

The main pannier mounting works pretty well - there are two hooks which are curved such that they grip the rack and require a little force to put it on and lift it off. There's also a separate lever which restricts vertical movement. I'm pretty confident in trusting them to hold, even under fairly heavy loads.

The issue I've had is with the little hook on the base of the bag, which is supposed to be looped around the bottom of the pannier to stop the bag swinging out at the base. I had difficulty finding something to hook it on which was far enough away to keep the elastic taut, and after a couple of days it came loose as I was cycling and tangled in my rear cog. Fortunately my Ridgeback Hybrid chewed it up and spat it out without any apparent damage to the bike, but the hook itself was torn off the bag and totally mangled.

Since that time I've been using the bag with no fixing at the base, and it still seems fairly firmly attached, but I'm a little concerned it might swing out on tight turns so I'll probably try and get a separate bungee to put through the loops on the sides of the bag, as another reviewer mentioned.

Aside from that flaw, the bag is great, but it's a big enough issue to drop it from 5 to 3 stars.

Premium HDMI to Mini HDMI Cable - 1080p - Full HD - Version 1.3 - Audio & Video - Ideal for Mobile Phones,HD Camcorders - 24k Gold Plated

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with Panasonic camcorder (V700), 9 Sept. 2012
In response to the earlier reviewer who had trouble using this cable with his Panasonic camcorder, I can definitively say it works fine between my Panasonic V700 camcorder and my Toshiba HD television. I don't believe my TV supports Viera link so I can't say whether that will work over this cable, but I've never seen why it's such a big deal having to switch inputs on the TV manually anyway.

Everything worked fine out of the box (once correct input on the TV was selected, obviously) and the picture quality for the 1080/50p video was perfect. The mini end of the cable is quite a snug fit in the camcorder, but not so much as to cause a problem and that's far preferable to a loose connection. The cable is sturdy but still flexible and the moulded plugs look solidly attached. Delivery via Amazon Prime was as prompt as ever.

So, for anybody considering forking our four times as much for the Panasonic branded cable (seven times as much from Panasonic's own store!) might like to bear in mind that, in all likelihood, this cable will work just as well. Just remember that manufacturers like Panasonic have a vested interest in selling you over-priced cables because they cost pennies to make and represent almost pure profit for them - just remember that when reading the instruction manuals which exhort you to "always use authentic Panasonic cables".

Marware Sportfolio for MacBook 13", Black
Marware Sportfolio for MacBook 13", Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Slim yet spacious, 14 July 2009
This is a thoughtfully designed case, which is perfectly sized for the 13" macbook - slimline without being overly snug. The neoprene material is light and slightly flexible, and seems to shrug off rain showers fairly well, and the rubber panels make it a lot easier to grip. The zip is fairly solid, and there's an inner lining to keep it from catching on anything inside, which is reassuring when it's holding a shiny new macbook.

The only slight downside is that there could be a little more room for accessories, but this would probably increase the overall bulk, and the slim construction is one of the primary attractions of this case.

All in all, well designed and recommended.

To Be Frank
To Be Frank
Offered by firefly-music-store

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, originality and variety - what more do you want?, 4 Feb. 2004
This review is from: To Be Frank (Audio CD)
Amid the sea of manufactured pop acts and cliched rock groups, this album's genuine originality is a breath of fresh air. Nik Kershaw's 80's hits, while clearly a product of their era, always had a unique sound which placed them above most of the other tracks around at the time, and I think Nik has recaptured this in "To Be Frank".
Nik's previous album "15 Minutes" was excellent, but also felt somewhat generic and mainstream - its excellence was not from doing something different, but from doing it well. "To Be Frank", however, is both well written and original, and has quickly become one of my favourite albums.
I would recommend this album to anybody, whether or not they are a Nik Kershaw fan. This album really has nothing to do with his 80's music except, perhaps, the quality, and the breadth of styles means there's something for most people on it.
It's something of a sad indictment of today's music industry that this album wasn't more popular - it seems that "well crafted" and "popular" are mutually exclusive. Choose the former - buy this album.

Baldur's Gate II
Baldur's Gate II
Offered by Exprezza

5.0 out of 5 stars The best RPG to date?, 9 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Baldur's Gate II (Video Game)
Baldur's Gate was an impressive game and its sequel has improved upon it significantly. At times the plot in the original was somewhat linear and there were a few annoying glitches with character movement and AI. Both of these problems have been addressed in BG2 - characters now act much more sensibly, and there're more sidequests than I know what to do with. Also, the word "quest" is not a misnomer in this case - gone are the "go and get my groceries for me" affairs that sometimes marred BG1. Now the side quests are at least as absorbing as the main storyline and the plot is much more sensitive to the character's previous actions. The sound and graphics are excellent and add to the overall atmosphere. The user interface is also rather more slick than before.
Perhaps the most impressive achievement has been to design a game that is true to the AD&D rules, yet is an enjoyable and balanced real-time(ish) RPG - and anyone who's ever run a high-level AD&D campaign knows how hard it is to make it challanging AND enjoyable!
All in all, if you like RPGs you'll love this game - and if you don't, buy it anyway and you'll wonder why not!

System Shock 2
System Shock 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Strategy, skill, action - something for everyone!, 20 July 2000
This review is from: System Shock 2 (Video Game)
Having spent many happy hours on this game, I can whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone looking for something more than a Quake-style slugfest. Having said that, there is still plenty of action to keep the trigger-happy gamer amused, the emphasis being very much on solving the problems any way you want (including coating the walls with them).
The storyline is very well thought-out, the interface is simple but effective (no mean feat for what is an RPG with quite a number of subtleties) and the Thief engine has been used to excellent effect, especially where sound is concerned.
System Shock 2 would stand fairly well as an action title alone, but with the myriad of skills available to you it becomes an engaging strategy game as well. It also manages to be one of the rare sequels which improves on the original - impressive for a game following System Shock.
Just buy this game!