Profile for Mr. N. J. Todman > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. J. Todman
Top Reviewer Ranking: 781

Mr. N. J. Todman "mr_todtastic"
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
A Call to Resurgence: Will Christianity Have a Funeral or a Future?
A Call to Resurgence: Will Christianity Have a Funeral or a Future?

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking back to understand our future, 1 Sept. 2014
In some ways this book is like a greatest hits collection, recapping many of Mark Driscoll's major ministry themes, the drums of which he has been banging for the past twenty years. In other ways it is a middle years reflection on where he and America are at in 2014 and the ways Mars Hill's ministries have intersected with culture inside and outside of the church. I particularly appreciated his sociological insights and his assessment of the different tribes within evangelicalism.

I read it on holiday and enjoyed it. it made me laugh. It made me think. It made me glad to know Jesus. It increased my confidence that even in the western world Christianity will have a future not a funeral.

Elementary - Season 2 [DVD]
Elementary - Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonny Lee Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertainary, 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Elementary - Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
This second season builds on everything that was good about the first. At the heart of the series is the perfectly drawn, ever developing, work-spouse relationship between Holmes and Watson, even living under the same roof and sharing everything except a bed. It is a strength of the show that Lucy Liu's Watson is Holmes' intellectual match rather than just a foil for his brilliance. The episodes are mostly stand alone investigations, while the meta-narrative focuses on the duo's relationship with Mycroft Holmes rather than Mortiarty. Personally I preferred that aspect of season 1 but over all this was a thoroughly entertaining series and sets up an intriguing premise for the third one. The game is certainly afoot.

Gospel Centred Preaching
Gospel Centred Preaching
by Tim Chester

5.0 out of 5 stars A great place to start. A great place to refresh., 6 Jun. 2014
This 150 page book is split into five parts dealing with the goals, means, content, priorities, and process of preaching. It is set out as a workbook with passages of the Bible to study and follow-up questions to reflect on the content of each chapter. I read it this week to refocus my own preaching on the gospel. I have been preaching for over twenty years and this is one of the most refreshing books I have read in that time on the subject. Having the different voices and perspectives of Marcus Honeysett and Tim Chester kept this very fresh. I enjoyed it so much I bought a second copy to give to one of the guys in our church who is preaching for the first time in September. I'm looking forward to re-reading it with him, as I can't think of a better introduction to the heart and craft of preaching than this. Although this book is primarily aimed at preachers, the final two chapters on Bible studies would also be good to be read and shared by small group leaders. The variety of question types and how to deal with difficult folks- Dominant Dave, Moaning Maureen, Know-it All Norman- were absolute gold.

What I liked best was this was pitched at the head and the heart, focusing the Word and the Spirit, and that the goal of preaching is not education but transformation. I enjoyed the Bible studies, the quotes from great preachers and the insights of both authors. I can't wait to read this again!

Life After Life
Life After Life
by Kate Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
This is a wonderful novel. It is like eating your favourite cake over and over, in slices and in layers. It continously whets the appetite. The traversing of slices time, the building of layers of characters and plot, the voices that ring bells that echo in mind, heart and memory, all make this a joy to read.

Incomparable: Explorations in the Character of God
Incomparable: Explorations in the Character of God
by Andrew Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars 60, Wonderful, 4 page, Explorations in the Character of God, 16 May 2014
The genius of this book lies in its structure as much as its content. The short chapters are ideal for daily devotions because they take less than fifteen minutes to read. However the content is so good that I found myself thinking about the aspect of God's character I'd considered for a few minutes in the morning all day!

Andrew Wilson's writing is Biblical, theological, pastoral and very fresh. The book even fifty chapters in didn't feel formulaic or predictable. Wilson kept finding heart-searching questions and some great illustrations to apply these amazing attributes of God to life.

Highly recommended.

2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Official Book
2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Official Book
by Andrew McDermott

4.0 out of 5 stars As essential as beer and snacks, 12 May 2014
This is a solid introduction to the world cup in Brazil. It covers all the usual bases: a bit about Brazil and the venues; a summary of qualification and the tables; a double spread on each team; and some great stats from previous tornaments- including all the results from every world cup game; and loads of records to date.

I liked the fact every team who qualified gets equal treatment, instead of giving extra space to the favourites. I'd have prefered more detail on the qualification matches, as it is relevant to the build up to this tournament, and perhaps the comments of a variety of expert pundits on their take on the chances for each side. It also suffers from the fact it was printed before the squads were announced so not all the players mentioned will be at the tournament.

Over all for £5.00 this is good value and I imagine by July 13th it will be very well thumbed.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Music for a Life of Worship and Mission, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Very few Christian music writers make the link between worship and mission as clearly at Keith Green. His music exalts Jesus so that His people might go into all the world. Apart from "There is a redeemer" few of his songs are used in corporate worship any more, but in terms of private devotions these songs are like rocket fuel for the heart. Keith Green loves Jesus, and out of the overflow of his heart he wrote these songs, to inspire God's people and to draw others into the family.

Because the songs were written and performed in the 1970s and 80s some sound a bit "poptastic", but if you can live with the sounds of that era then the timeless truths will bless your heart. Those led on the piano alone still sound fresh to me.

Like the Psalms, some tracks are celebrations of God's grace, others are laments over sin, while others are a call to a deeper response to the Spirit and the gospel. But what I like best is that many land by exhorting those who know Jesus to tell others why knowing him is so great. For that reason, it is five stars all the way from me.

Luxury 3ft Single size mattress
Luxury 3ft Single size mattress
Offered by Happy Beds

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably good for the price, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Luxury 3ft Single size mattress
We got this when my 10 year old went to bed one night and showed me how his foam Ikea mattress folded up around him. I felt like the world's worst dad, so immediately went to Amazon to get a replacement. Based on the reviews and the price this mattress was clearly the way to go. When it arrived, I was in no way disappointed and neither was my son. He is now sleeping on a beautifully sprung mattress rather than in a foam trough. For less than £70 I feel like a caring, responsible father although that is only half true, as I had a cheeky nap on it just to check it out before he got home from school. As a result, I can say the mattress is good for adults and children alike.

Don't Waste Your Cancer
Don't Waste Your Cancer

5.0 out of 5 stars Piper wields the Bible like Thor swings his hammer and cancer takes a heavy hit, 28 Dec. 2013
My wife was recently diagnosed with cancer and I needed help to apply my faith to this new reality. This is a very short, superb, booklet. It begins with miraculous healing but makes it clear that is only one way Jesus is glorified through cancer. Piper outlines another eleven, giving more or less a single page to each. This is an advantage as it makes repeated reading very easy to do!

Piper is a cancer survivor. More importantly, he loves Jesus more than life. This book has pointed me repeatedly to Jesus and hammered truth into my heart. At a time of great uncertainty Piper has pointed me again and again to the Rock upon which my family stand. I am certain he can do the same for you.

Moto G 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Moto G 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Offered by DNX eStore

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets for the price, 28 Dec. 2013
This phone sets a new benchmark for quality at an affordable price. It is possible to pick up one of these for just under £130. This phone is perfect for showing off what a great platform Android has become. With its quad processor and HD screen almost any app will run smoothly and look beautiful. Loved the pre-installed migrating app that took all the contact and content from my wife's old phone and put it effortlessly onto this one. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6