Profile for P. Taylor > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
All Funked Up
All Funked Up

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 30 Jun. 2015
This review is from: All Funked Up (Audio CD)
I was a bit disappointed with this album. Having had the first two albums since their release I was very exited to discover this third release that somehow passed me by at the time. I really like the blend of rock, pop, country and funk, not to mention humour, of the first album and Situation Normal. This one is a much more straight ahead funk work out, extremely well executed - the band is tight and Bobby Harrison's vocals as strong as ever - it would translate to a very sweaty and enjoyable live set. In fact with the inclusion of two cover versions on the album that is exactly what it feels like. It just doesn't have the originality of its predecessors.

Spectral Mornings 2015
Spectral Mornings 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful - turned a great tune into a brilliant song, 4 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Spectral Mornings 2015 (Audio CD)
Beautiful - turned a great tune into a brilliant song. The two nay sayers in reviews so far say they don't like it as much as the original. Fair enough, they are perfectly entitled to their opinion but I think the two versions can exist side by side. I can see me listening to this a lot but it won't stop me from listening to original either. All in a good cause too.

Anthology
Anthology

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Anthology, 18 May 2015
This review is from: Anthology (Audio CD)
This a great for anyone looking to sample Steve Howe's solo work. I have a few of his albums but have enjoyed getting flavour of the rest of his output. Anthologies can be unsatisfactory affairs with often little consultation with the artist and sometimes peculiar random selection of tracks. Not so here with Steve himself evidently having put a lot of thought into the choices, with the added bonus of great new cover art from Roger Dean.

The Last Town (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 3)
The Last Town (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. The author said he wanted to create ..., 6 Jan. 2015
Great book. The author said he wanted to create the same atmosphere as Twin Peaks which he watched in his youth. He definitely succeeds in doing this in the first book of the trilogy but as the story progresses through the second and third books he takes it way beyond. Can't wait to see the tv adaptation and really hope he carries the story on.

Homo Erraticus (Deluxe)
Homo Erraticus (Deluxe)

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Sit This One Out, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Homo Erraticus (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I like this album. I wasn't convinced about TAAB2 but this is a return to form in my opinion. Lyrically it is ambitious, telling the story of Britain from pre-history to the future in just one disc, each track dealing with a different aspect. For example track one concerns migration and starts with the first Britons traipsing across the swampy Doggerland (later to be covered by the North Sea) from mainland Europe and finishes with the flow of migration reversed as the British re-colonise Europe in the 1960s with the advent of air travel and the package holiday. Musically, even though it is sold as an Ian Anderson solo album, this is much more Tullish than other solo efforts like The Secret Life of Birds, Rupi's Dance or Divinities. Indeed tracks like "Doggerland" would be completely at home on the Stormwatch album The musicians are top notch, and according to Anderson's commentary on the accompanying DVD, come from a classical or jazz tradition rather than folk or rock but that doesn't stop guitarist Florian Opahle channelling Martin Barre on occasions.
A genuinely interesting album, cleverly crafted lyrics, beautifully played and, like the best concept albums, it is very well presented in hard back digibook with background to the work as well as artwork and lyrics. The additional DVD has a subtle 5.1 surround mix by Jakko Jakszyk which adds to the listening experience.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2014 2:43 PM BST

Wired To Earth
Wired To Earth

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Wired To Earth (Audio CD)
I love this album. I stumbled across the band and album having recently got into Big Big Train. The common factor is ex-XTC guitarist Dave Gregory . There are any number of guitarists who can play blistering solos and I am sure Dave can do the same but what he does here is far more satisfying especially on the track Broken where he puts the song first rather that just using it as an excuse to show off resulting in the most enjoyable guitar playing I have heard for years. Didn't mean to major on Dave Gregory as it is a real band effort. Great stuff!

Sapphire 11196-09-40G HD7950 3GB Vapox-X Graphics Card
Sapphire 11196-09-40G HD7950 3GB Vapox-X Graphics Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Performance but can start whirring when there is heavy usage, 28 Oct. 2013
I bought this to play battlefield 4 and next gen games, and so far(in the beta) it has been very good and once amd finally sort their drivers out it will be spectacular, only my cpu has slowed it down. I used to play bf3 on 30ish fps but now it can go above 100 easily(again this is subject to the drivers amd release, since I downloaded the latest beta drivers it didn't perform as well but that is not the card's fault). The only major issue(s) are that I had to upgrade my 500w psu to a 600w psu because it is quite a large card. The other problem is that it can start to make a loud whirring noise when play intensive games. Overall though it is a fantastic performing card that is well worth the money.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Kindles only last for 13 months?, 30 Jan. 2013
I was given a Kindle for Christmas 2011 and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The day before yesterday I turned it on and there were lines going vertically and horizontally over the screen rendering it unusable. As with other reviewers I can attest that it has been well looked after in its case and never abused. Although I got a Kindle Fire for this Christmas i still prefer reading on the original so I looked into getting a replacement. Looking at the reviews I was initially reassured that there were at least ten times as many 5 star reviews as there were 1 star ones until I looked a little deeper and found that most of the 5 star ones seemed to have been written in the first 2 or 3 months of ownership. Yes it is a great product - at first! I wonder how many of those owners will still rate it at five stars after it passes the 13 month old mark? Screen failure just after the warranty expires seems, well, not uncommon. So maybe 13 months is about how long they last and anyone considering purchasing one should bear that in mind. I shall continue to use my Kindle Fire and hope that they prove to be a little more long lived that the Kindle reader. If they prove not to be I shall go down the Apple, Google or HTC route
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2013 4:50 PM GMT

Thick As a Brick [40th Anniversary Special Edition]
Thick As a Brick [40th Anniversary Special Edition]
Offered by BestSellerRecordshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars across the board, 6 Nov. 2012
I can only echo the other reviews here.
Five stars for the music, obviously. Five stars for the packaging - it really does justice to the original newspaper, no cd version has managed this until now. The extra material, the "colour supplement" has some great photos and it is refreshing to read the thoughts of engineers and tour managers as well as the band members. And five stars for the 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson. A great addition to his portfolio of multi channel mixes. My only gripe is that it is a pity it is not offered in DVD-Audio format. If you are a Tull fan you need this!

I have added this bit later: I sent my first copy back to Amazon as some of the chapters on the DVD caused my player to freeze - all controls not responsive, had to turn player off and on again. Amazon gave excellent and very speedy service in replacing the copy but the new one did the same. It could be a fault with the player I suppose but I have tried countless other discs and they all play fine. Anybody else had this problem?

Tarkus
Tarkus

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Surround Sound, 30 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Tarkus (Audio CD)
Another great 5.1 remix by Steven Wilson. I have owned the vinyl version since the 70s and regularly listen to it, still. This 2012 Deluxe edition really has given it a new lease of life by immersing the listener in subtly crafted surround sound. For £10 the DVD-A alone would be worth buying but you also get the original mix and new stereo mixes and even a couple of previously unreleased items. Nice packaging too. I remember seeing ELP at the Empire Pool Wembley on the Brain Salad Surgery tour and hearing the quadraphonic sound swirling round the auditorium. I really hope Steven Wilson gets to work his 5.1 magic on that album soon...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2012 5:25 PM BST