Profile for A. M > Reviews

Content by A. M

A. M "drfeelgood316" (UK)

Lethal Weapon 1-4 [Blu-ray] [2005] [Region Free]
Lethal Weapon 1-4 [Blu-ray] [2005] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Mel Gibson
Price: 10.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Information regarding the different cuts of film here, 2 Dec 2010
I love Lethal Weapon. In my opinion, with the possible exception of the Die Hard trilogy (not 4), they are the greatest action crime movies ever made. My opinion still hasn't changed, but my opinion on this Blu-Ray set is much lower.

Two things: Firstly, the full director's cuts are not included. You only get the additional footage in the extra features. It is easy to include two versions of each film, as many other films have done this (Alien box set in particular). Therefore it appears they have just been lazy and not bothered. This is very disappointing, seeing as the kind of people who will buy this set are fans and will most likely want both versions. That's the kind of thing fans see as being required if they buy a Blu Ray collection of one of their favourite movie franchises.

Secondly, I'm not pleased it's been demoted to a 15 certificate. There was always something quite exciting when I was younger watching these films at age 15, knowing I was not supposed to. Obviously now I am older age isn't an issue, but the thought of the discs being adult action films is still something I enjoy, and to make them 15s takes a little something away from the emotional impact of the films in my eyes. This isn't as big as issue as the first criticism, but I just wanted to put it out there.

The only thing which I believe makes this set worth of 4 stars, rather than 3, is the fact that the movies are still fantastic, and also the fact that they have included each uncut version of each film, rather than the cut UK versions seen previously. This makes me think it even stranger that the box set is rated 15, as the material the BBFC originally cut from the 18 certificate is present, yet they have now given it a 15 certificate! Bizarre!

I'm really suffering from indecision about whether to buy this product or not. I would love to have the Quadrilogy on Blu-Ray to watch with beer over Christmas, and at present I only own the cut non-director's cut versions anyway. However, this is precisely why if I am going to shell out essentially a fiver for each disc in this box set, I want my money to be well spent and to be obtaining the versions of the film I do not currently own. I hate to say it, but I actually think I'm more tempted to buy the standard definition Director's Cuts on DVD and watch those instead. Disappointing Blu-Ray package.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2011 1:49 PM GMT

Live From Dublin 2006
Live From Dublin 2006
Price: 8.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing, 20 Feb 2007
This review is from: Live From Dublin 2006 (Audio CD)
I have the DVD version of this and it is truly amazing. So many beautiful songs, sung with such heartfelt emotion. This man is a legend. Enough said.

Beautiful Wasteland
Beautiful Wasteland
Price: 13.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 20 Feb 2007
This review is from: Beautiful Wasteland (Audio CD)
I'd rate this album highly. I like the blend of world music mixed with Celtic style roots. I bought both this album and To the Moon and found this one to be the definate best of the two. I have to say it's all a little different to my initial idea of what it was from listening to random downloaded tracks, but I'd definately put this on during the summer to chill out.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace [DVD] [2004]
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Matt Holness
Price: 6.20

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 STARS, 17 Mar 2006
I don't know what planet the person who only gave this 3 stars lives on.. probably one of those mentioned in one of Garth's novels! But he's dead wrong. This is pure comedy gold. So many little gems of brilliance in this. Not all of them as obvious as others. Loads of laugh out loud moments, combined with great one-liners which tickle the funny bone.
Amazing.

The Essence of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
The Essence of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
by Rigan Machado
Price: 11.83

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best I have seen, 27 Jun 2002
I am not a student of any particular martial art, but instead prefer to learn techniques from many different ones. This book was perfect for me as it does not assume you know a lot about jiu-jitsu, apart from basics like the guard position. Some of the moves and techniques in this book, such as the basic choke, I found I knew already from a different martial art, so there is an element of crossover between different arts. One excellent aspect in particular is the inclusion of a 'without gi' secion, demonstrating techniques whilst wearing normal clothing.
If you are interested in gaining a good knowledge of basic moves, techniques, etc. from jiu-jitsu to use as either self-defense or to further your knowledge, then this book is for you.
It is one of the more affordable books, yet still is in the league of Gracie jiu-jitsu and more expensive books.