Profile for Mrs C > Reviews

Content by Mrs C
Top Reviewer Ranking: 370

Mrs C "Chris in Hampshire" (England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
USG Happy Day® Banana. Natural treats with banana flavour. Single pack 3 KG.
USG Happy Day® Banana. Natural treats with banana flavour. Single pack 3 KG.

5.0 out of 5 stars From the Horse's Mouth!, 16 Sep 2014
Well, when I first opened this box of Horse Treats, I was amazed at the tasty, fruity smell that came out. Really, really nice! (no, I did not try them for myself!!!)

There is a lonely horse that was put in a field near us at the start of the year and who does not get any care and attention or food at all. Having made the RSPCA aware of the plight of this horse, I keep an eye on him and visit nearly every day to give him some treats etc.

Well, Charlie (as I have called him) absolutely loves these treats and they seem to be quite substantial and satisfying to him. Feeding them to him by hand, there is no nasty residue or stickiness left on my hands and when he munches them they smell even more fruity. He is soon nuzzling at me for more so I think that is a good recommendation, straight from the horse's mouth. Charlie is not a greedy horse, just lonely.

I think that the price was reasonable, considering that buying anything in small quantities is the dearest way to do so. The tub is sturdy and can be re-used for more treats.

Sylvie and Star
Sylvie and Star
by Julia Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Book for Children, 16 Sep 2014
This review is from: Sylvie and Star (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
From the gorgeous shiny appealing cover, to the beautiful charcoal drawings within the book, this is a delightful book for children from cover to cover.

I have found that all children have a desire for a pet of one kind or another, and that this can be a dilemma for parents. Owning a pet of any sort is a huge responsibility, which results in extra work and expense. However in my opinion pets can do so much for children. There are so many ways a child can learn about life, responsibility and caring and that the chosen pet must always come first because they are not the masters of their own destiny - they are reliant on the humans doing the right thing for them.

Sylvie & her parents live in London in a 2nd storey flat, not a home that is suitable to have a pet. Mum is a school teacher and Dad rents a shop from where he is a successful book seller. Holly is Sylvie's best friend and lives in a house with a garden where there is a tree house. Holly has a cat, 2 guinea pigs, and 3 goldfish. Holly and Sylvie even look very much alike and sometimes pretend to be twins, and spend a lot of time together outside school. Sylvie's Mum is Italian and it is in Pisa, where Nonna and Gramps live. Sylvie loves to spend school holidays in Italy because not only does she adore her Grandparents, but they live on a farm and have a dog called Bella.

The story of the book is set both at home in London and on holidays in Italy. It tells of a child's longing for a dog of her own, of how her heart breaks every time she has to leave Italy to come back home to London. Nonna and Gramps try to help out and do their best, but eventually Sylvie realises that what she wants is not what is best for puppy Star. Sylvie makes a great personal sacrifice but in doing so, knows she has done the right thing for Star.

Back in London life is about to change for Sylvie and her Mum and Dad. Sacrifices will have to be made but, with compromise, Sylvie gets something of her own to look after and love.

There are no nasties in this book at all and clearly the Author has well researched the lives of Wolves. The book is so well written that the reader (or listener) can easily imagine the scenes that are set and be there in Sylvie's world and that too of Holly, her best friend.

The story deals with animal ownership, responsibility and sacrifices that have to be made, but in a nice and gentle way, all the while still getting the message home. It is a book that has love as the main theme - love of animals, places, parents and friends.

The target age of a child reading it for themselves is 7 - 8 years, but I think that if the book was read by a parent to their child, that depending on the maturity of that child, it could be read to a 6 year old. All children will love the charcoal illustrations that are dotted throughout the book. They really are lovely.

GOODOGS CAPRICE Can Snack for Dogs, Small
GOODOGS CAPRICE Can Snack for Dogs, Small

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummy, Quality Training Treats, 14 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As soon as you open this tub of treats, the aroma is a bit like branded Gravy Granules and certainly not like a product for dogs to munch! They do smell very appetising and certainly caused my two dogs to get off their beds to investigate what I had.

The little curved strips measure 1½ inches long and just under ½ inch wide. They are solid but not as hard as dental chew sticks. They are soft enough to break in half or thirds. (You wouldn't really break them down any smaller than that even for a toy dog breed). These Caprice treats are not designed to be a food, but a reward to use when training, or just a little treat.

The guide on the tub says, that up to 4 treats per day can be given per 10 kg of weight of your dog. The ingredients are 60% fresh Pork Meat with added Rice, Chicken Meal, Chicken Liver and Glycerin - so very wholesome with no rubbish in them. This accounts for the yummy aroma!

They are ok for the dog owner to hold as no residue is left on the fingers. They are dry to the touch and I did not find them to be sticky at all. Very useful to take out in a little bag in your pocket or in a dog treat bag.

Unfortunately, as with the other treats from this same manufacturer, the tub is not full and given the lid does not extend deeply inside the tub, there is certainly room for quite a few more. This makes them a bit pricey and where the manufacturer lets themselves down. It is for this reason I can only award the product 4 stars. Had the tub been full I would have made the 5 star rating.

NaturVet Breath and Tartar Tablets, 90 Pills
NaturVet Breath and Tartar Tablets, 90 Pills
Offered by Pet Supply Company USA

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Idea, 4 Sep 2014
If you have a dog that will crunch things up and not just gobble, then these tablets are great and definitely work. If however you have a dog like one of mine, who just wolfs anything down, then they do not. In my opinion, to make a difference they do need to be munched not swallowed down.

They are large tablets and are easy to cut in half with a pill cutter if you have a very little dog. The idea of them is good, but as I say, it depends on your dogs way of eating.

Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Dog's Life: 101 Stories about All the Ages and Stages of Our Canine Companions
by Jack Canfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Read, 4 Sep 2014
This is a great book for any dog lover. There are literally 101 true stories about dogs and the things they get up to.

The stories cover the life span of the dog and the ages they go through, from puppy, to juvenile, to adult, to senior.

The stories are funny, they are sad, they are heart warming, they are uplifting. Each story has something to teach us about our canine friends. Just when we think we know about dogs, they surprise us. They are wonderful creatures that really deserve our love and understanding, and they sure do repay that by being our true and faithful friends.

It is an easy book to read, and because they are all individual short stories of just a few pages each, the book does not have to be continuously read. If you are short on time you can just dip in and out of it.

USG Happy Day Strawberry 1 kg (Pack of 27)
USG Happy Day Strawberry 1 kg (Pack of 27)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lonely Horse Loves These, 4 Sep 2014
Well, it says that these Horse Treats are strawberry flavoured and they most definitely smell fruity when the bag is opened.

I haven't actually tasted them myself, but "Charley", the lonely horse in a field near where I live, really does like them. I take some in a little tub to hand feed him, and there is no residue left on my hands when holding these treats. They seem quite substantial and nicely solid.

Vax Dual Power Total Home Carpet Cleaner
Vax Dual Power Total Home Carpet Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars A BRILLIANT Carpet Cleaner!, 1 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having previously had the Vax Dual Power Reach Model W86DP-R to try and it proving to be a bad experience (it all burnt out) I was anxious to try this Carpet Cleaner but also a little nervous. I need not have worried. There were no problems at all!

The machine arrives well boxed and requires very simple assembly (no engineering degree required). Place the Clean Water Tank on to the top of the main unit and using a cross head or flat headed screw driver, secure with the 2 screws provided. Slot in the Handle and secure with 1 screw. Simples! You are now ready to read the Instruction Book provided and set about cleaning your carpets and rugs.

The Instruction Manual is all in English, is clearly and simply written and also provides diagrammatic assistance.

Before you start, make sure that the carpets to be shampooed are dry and have been thoroughly vacuumed. Then, remove the Clean Water Tank from the main body of the unit by depressing the coloured lever and pulling forward. Unscrew the cap, fill with water and mix in the Carpet Cleaning Solution at a rate of 40ml per 1 litre of warm water. Replace the top tank making sure it is firmly clicked into place. Plug into the electricity and you are ready to roll. There is a small clip at the top towards the handle, and when using the Carpet Cleaner, I clipped the power cord on to this so that there was no slack on the floor immediately behind the machine. I felt this was safer and there would be no danger of the power cable getting caught up in the roller brushes. As I am right handed, I then use my left hand to control the rest of the power cable.

Recline the machine and turn on using the foot pedals, squeeze the trigger in the handle to release the cleaning solution and then you just go forward and back like vacuuming. Don't keep the trigger depressed all the time or you will over wet your carpets. Depress on forward strokes and release on backward ones so the machine sucks up the dirty water from the carpets. When I had cleaned the whole carpet, with the trigger released I just went over it again to get up even more water, and the same as when I vacuum, went over the carpet in all directions. Once thoroughly dry you just then re-vacuum your carpet with your normal vacuum cleaner and the job is done.

Stairs and furniture can be shampooed using the long reach hose which just fits into the front of the machine. Attach the wash tool and then the principle is the same as before. Should the hose not be long enough, given that the machine is light to carry (just 6.6 kilos), I found that I could carry it up the stairs and put it on the stair in front of me to then carry on cleaning the other stairs. As before, once completely dry, vacuum as usual

The Carpet Cleaner also comes with a handy Pre-Treatment Wand to pre treat any bad stains. The Pre-Treatment is supplied as part of the kit along with a draw string bag in which to store the accessories and instruction manual. There is a hanging hook at the top of this storage bag, but I do not believe it is designed to hang on the machine itself as it unbalances it for standing up. I rather think the hook is to it can be hung in a cupboard, or a hook in a utility room. When lifting the cleaner up, it is best and the most comfortable to use the handle which is positioned at the front of the machine above the clean water canister. Using this the machine is well balanced for carrying. The top handle of the machine should not be used for carrying the cleaner, because apart from anything else, it is not comfortable to do so and the machine is then unbalanced and more unwieldy to carry.

You can also use the Carpet Cleaner to pick up any liquid spills. Just plug the long reach hose into the front of the cleaner, attach the wash tool and position over the spill to suck up the liquid. If the spill is excessive, then use the carpet washer going back and forward in parallel strokes.

When in use, frequently remove any debris from the dual rollers otherwise you won't get the best performance. You will know if the underside is getting clogged up because the machine will feel harder to push, it can sometimes sound different too. Despite vacuuming prior to shampooing, you will be surprised at what is drawn up when sucking back the cleaning solution! What gets stuck in the rollers and clogs up is hair, particularly if you have pets, and the lint from the carpet. We have a 80/20 wool mix carpet which is 10 years old, yet still when shampooing, the wool fluff comes up from the carpet pile. Remember for safety to turn off the electricity when cleaning out the underside.

After use empty and thoroughly clean the water tanks, rinse and leave to dry before returning them to the main unit. Also thoroughly clean the twin brush rollers to remove any debris and carpet fluff. Make sure you leave to dry. For any bits stuck under the casing, a very small bottle type brush is useful and the inter dental brushes are very useful too! Once the whole unit is thoroughly dry, any remaining bits can be removed from the brushes by using a vacuum cleaner or one of the smaller re-chargeable hand held cleaners. all this sounds a lot of fuss and bother, but it is well worth it for a machine that does such a superb job cleaning the carpets.

You must use the Vax brand cleaning products, not only are they excellent and product brilliant results, but not to do so can invalidate your Warranty. They have a great selection, including a Carpet & Upholstery Protector spray to use once the shampooing has been done and the fabric is dry.

I already have a Vax Multipurpose Canister Cleaner which I purchased about 18 months ago and that does a good job with carpet washing. This upright model however is much easier to use and gives a BRILLIANT result. I can really recommend this product.

Vax are a good Company and provide a helpful back up service should you need it, the contact details are at the back of the Instruction Manual. The Dual Power Total Home Carpet Cleaner has a 2 year Guarantee and can be registered on line. Every now and again you will receive an email from Vax with special offers on cleaning products, machines, spares etc.

Cottage Craft Mane and Tail Comb - Silver
Cottage Craft Mane and Tail Comb - Silver
Offered by Online for Equine

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and Cheap, 1 Sep 2014
I visit and give treats to a lonely horse in a field near us (the RSPCA are aware) and he just loves the attention. He's not a young cob and does not seem to have had much pampering (he doesn't even get fed except by me), so his mane, forelock and tail are not in the best condition.

I am able to groom as much of him as I can reach while leaning over the gate, and this Comb has proved to be very useful in trying to smooth out his mane and forelock.

The Comb was very cheap and for the price is quite well made and the handle comfortable to hold.

Cottage Craft DM Face Brush - Blue
Cottage Craft DM Face Brush - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 1 Sep 2014
There is a lonely horse in a field near us, who as well as enjoying some daily treats, loves to receive some care and attention.

I got this brush to try and keep his face clean and tidy and it works really well. Charley, as I called him, seems to find it soothing and comfortable and it is really good for getting the dust off him. He likes to be brushed underneath on his beard area too.

The brush is comfortable to hold and seems well made. The price is excellent as was the delivery time.

Cottage Craft DM Mane and Tail Brush - Blue
Cottage Craft DM Mane and Tail Brush - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars It works on Charley!, 1 Sep 2014
I do not own a horse, but there is a very lonely horse in a field near us who gets no care or attention. So, having made the RSPCA aware of him, I try to give him some care and attention when I visit him each day.

Charley (as I have named him) likes attention as well as the treats I give him and is happy to stand still - for a little while at least - so that I can lean over the gate and try to brush what I can reach. He has a thick mane and this brush really helps to improve it and get the bits out from where he has had his head in the hedge or been rolling in the grass. He also likes it on his back and sides.

It is comfortable to hold and having the longish handle means I can reach a bit easier to work on him. The bright Union Jack design means it shows up easily in the bag I take with me with his bits and pieces in.

It was an excellent price and delivery swift.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20