Profile for Chris in Hampshire > Reviews

Content by Chris in Hampshire
Top Reviewer Ranking: 286

Chris in Hampshire "Mrs C" (Hampshire, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Corelle Vitrelle Glass 12-Piece Winter Frost Chip and Break Resistant Dinner Set, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern, Crisp and Simple, 23 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This simple, plain Dinner Set just oozes quality with it's super white finish and lovely shine. It is a great starter set for someone perhaps setting up home for the first time, a young couple starting out or someone at the other end of the scale of life, who is perhaps downsizing and wanting to keep things more simple.

I just love the fact that this crockery is so light weight. As you get older you do not have so much strength and I am finding a preference for lighter weight products.

I use the microwave a lot and the fact that this dinner set is microwave safe is another bonus for all manner of reasons. BUT, if you have a combination microwave, DO NOT USE this Corelle Ware with the browning element of the microwave. The instructions also advise that this ware is NOT suitable for cooking popcorn or any other convenience food that has fast heating packaging. My understanding that the fact these plates and bowls are able to be used in a microwave would not be for actual cooking but for re-heating.

It is certainly space saving, as all of the 8 plates within this dinner set take up less room in the rack I have in the cupboard than the other plates I have. Everyone likes to save space no matter how large their home so this Corelle set accommodates that without doubt.

These plates and bowls wash up so very easily (we do not have a dish washer) and when left to drain on the rack the water runs off easily and really do not need drying with a tea towel.

Being thinner than the normal type of plates they feel delicate, so it is good to know that they are chip and break resistant and tougher than they look.

For safety reasons there is advice to avoid sudden temperature changes. The little Safety & Usage and Warranty Instructions leaflet is written in French, English, Spanish and Portuguese, which being an American made product, are the usual languages for that country.

The plates are very plain, but in my opinion food looks better on plain crockery and indeed on the various cookery programmes on the TV, their meals are always served up on plain plates to show off the food. The large plates are dinner plate size. The small plates are useful as large side plates, snack plates, breakfast plates or for dessert. The bowls are good for a medium size portion of cereal, for soup, desserts and as side salad/side dish bowls.

I found that when the hot food was put on the plate, that the heat was absorbed into the plate and it became very hot on the underside. This crockery is also slightly slippery, but that may wear off in use and I would think would definitely do so, when washed in a dishwasher on a daily basis.

The dinner set is packed into a strong sturdy box which shows illustration of what is in the box and also has the Guarantee printed on it. Therefore it is advisable to keep this box for the Warranty period in case it needs to be returned for any claim - indeed the wording tells you to.

All in all a very nice product, which if it lives up to all the claims and gives a long life, is not too expensive in the long term. Sometimes it is better to buy quality for longer lasting use. Cheap does not always work out.

This boxed set would make a great Wedding gift and there is the facility to purchase Pasta Bowls, Serving Platters, Noodle Bowls and Large Serving Bowls to add to the dinner set.

Wahl Deluxe Heated Massager
Wahl Deluxe Heated Massager

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful & Easy to Use, 22 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Wahl Electric Massager is a very simple personal appliance but nonetheless a very effective one.

The Massager is sturdily built but not too heavy to hold comfortably. There are 3 Massaging Heads;
SMOOTH HEAD recommended for general all over body use for gentle and relaxing massage
SOFT HEAD recommended for light muscle massage as it has smooth raised areas on it
DEEP HEAD designed to be used to target deep tissue and concentrated areas

The 'neck' of the massager has some slight flex & movement but only a little. If it was too much it would not be suitable for applying any pressure to concentrated areas.

The massager can be used on the shoulders, neck, face, scalp, chest, arms, legs, back, abdomen and joints.

The Massaging Heads are easy to change, just grasp the head and twist to the right, put required head on, twist to the left and you will hear it click into place. The heads only need to be cleaned with a dry soft cloth and obviously must not be immersed in water. There is a choice of 2 speeds with the switch being located on the long handle.

From the top, where the massage head is attached, to the end of the handle the length is 9½" / 24.13cm which makes it easier to use without too much bending or stretching. Obviously there will be some areas that are difficult to reach. Usage is made easier because there are no fading batteries to worry about, this Wahl Massager is mains operated with a lovely long power cord which measures 7' 10" / 216.40cm from the appliance to the plug

I have found the Massager useful to try to tone up my aged limbs and to generally try to tone face and neck and to improve circulation. The very best use for me has been after a cramp attack. Even with GP prescribed Quinine Sulphate tablets, I still suffer frequent bouts of cramp from toes to upper thigh and for no apparent reason. Often there is still a lot of pain afterwards. I have found that to use this Massager on the afflicted area, really helps it to feel more comfortable and back to normal afterwards. I did not notice any noticeable heat coming from the Massager and indeed there was no mention of it on the box. The title on the box of mine said "REFRESH FULL SIZE MASSAGER"

The Wahl Massager is very nicely boxed which has lots of information on it printed in multiple languages. Inside with the appliance is an Operating Instruction leaflet printed in no less than 24 languages to include English. A 2 year Guarantee shows that the manufacturer has confidence in the product and at a very good price the Massager makes a good purchase for you or as a gift for someone.

Pooch and Mutt Calm Relaxed Complete Dry Food
Pooch and Mutt Calm Relaxed Complete Dry Food

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but potentially a Calming Aid for Dogs, 21 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Pooch & Mutt Brand are fairly new to the market in respect of Dog Food. They originally started with Supplements, kick started by a medical problem with their own dog in 2007/2008.

They are a very ethical Company and their products are not tested on laboratory animals, instead they have been trialled on their own dogs and those of friends and customers. Clearly they would not do this if there was any danger to the health of their initial doggy tasters. I think that can give us, as potential consumers, peace of mind because no one would risk the health of their own dogs or of those owned by people that they are close to. Pooch & Mutt are approved by PETA.

As I opened the little sample packet of this Calm & Relaxed Dog Food, there was a pleasant Marmite like smell. It was a tasty smell and not at all over powering. This little sample was in a plastic pouch so I would assume that the proper size 2kg bag would be in the same type of bag. It would be a bonus if the bag was re-sealable, but not the end of the world if it wasn't.

What I specifically like is that there are no artificial flavours, preservatives or colouring and that there is an absence of grain, cereal and gluten with no genetically modified food stuffs. It is these sorts of ingredients that can lead to skin problems in some dogs and then tend to be difficult to cure or keep under control. Skin problems are dreadful for the dog and can lead to large Vet bills and a lot of stress for dog and owner.

The list of ingredients shows all natural foods with no nasties and Turkey is the predominant ingredient. L-Tryptophan found in the Turkey is the protein source that forms Serotonin to provide the feel good factor for your best friend. I like the addition of Pro and Pre Biotics for good stomach health and the special addition of Nutra-Bionic which aids joint, digestive and skin & coat health. Again, all things that are very important to keep your pet in tip top condition. On top of all this the food is Vet recommended and it is British made, which for me takes the worry out of it.

There is a condition known Serotonin Syndrome which can occur if a dog is taking more than one type of medication that causes levels of serotonin to increase in the body. This condition can be extremely serious and if not caught in time, can lead to the death of your dog. I think therefore, that before feeding this Calm and Relaxed Dog Food you do need to check what medication, if any, that you dog is being prescribed and if in ANY doubt whatsoever, check with your Vet BEFORE feeding this food to your dog. It is better to be safe than sorry.

The food is a fairly small kibble with average hardness. Both of my dogs ate some with no problems and no hesitation, albeit what they were given was not very much because it was just a sample between them. "Amber" is the greedy one, who does not always crunch her food, but "Maisy" savours her food more and the food had a good crunch but was not too hard. On hand feeding it to them, there was no nasty residue on my hands - the food is nice and 'clean' so could also be used as rewards when out walking & training.

The kibble size makes it suitable for the activity feeders that we use, which primarily slows "Amber" down and also gives both of our dogs something to think about. I think it would be suitable too for the smaller dogs.

(I have puts some photos with my review to give you some idea of the size of the kibble)

It is an expensive dog food at £13.99 for 2 kilos, however if it works in calming your dog, then once the habit of nervousness, hyperactivity etc that your pet may have has diminished or gone away, then I would think that it is possible to wean off feeding the food all the time and just use as a top up which would be more economical. Unfortunately, due to only having a little sample pack to try I am unable to comment on any calming affect that the dog food is supposed to have.

I have awarded 4 stars because of the quality ingredients of the food, the ethical standards of the Company that has produced it and that it is British. The one star deduction is purely because it is so expensive and possibly therefore out of reach of the average dog owner.

Quiet Dog
Quiet Dog

1.0 out of 5 stars It Didn't Have Any Effect, 21 Nov 2014
This review is from: Quiet Dog (Misc.)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was interested to see and try this product as it makes a lot of claims.

I have a petite Border Collie that we got from Dogs Trust just over 2 years ago and she is approx. 4½ years old. It has taken her a while to learn to play, but now she does she is a far too noisy, which tends to sometimes startle other dogs that don't know her.

I put this Quiet Dog device on her at home, to try it out to see if she could still pick up a tennis ball. Yes, she could so I decided to try it out on our next walk. I was hoping that it would stop her barking all the time she was running around and playing with our other rescue dog.

I found the best way to put it on her was not as it instructs in the product sleeve. It was easier to drop it over her nose (see my Pic 1) and then to cross it under her chin and then clip it together behind her ears (Pic 2). She did not make a fuss over wearing it and we continued our game. Prior to putting it on Maisy, I had thrown their ball a couple of times to see if she would bark as usual. She did, so on it went.

Failure!!!! Yes, she could pick up the ball but it did nothing to quieten her down at all. I kept it on her for quite a while and it was useless.

It might work on some dogs in some situations, but at the end of the day I cannot see how on earth it could be effective with jumping, digging and scratching, which are all activities that the dog does not have to use it's mouth for.

I am not surprised the packaging has been designed so that a prospective purchaser cannot see the product when it is in the box, because I am sure if they could then they would not buy it. It is just elastic with a buckle and an adjustment feature.

Products designed and sold by The Company of Animals used to be very good but this is a bit of a non starter as far as "Maisy" was concerned. Still, it was worth a try I suppose.

Please remember this device is NOT a Muzzle

5 Pairs Of VALENS SCROLL LEVER LATCH DOOR HANDLES SATIN NICKLE
5 Pairs Of VALENS SCROLL LEVER LATCH DOOR HANDLES SATIN NICKLE
Offered by IronMongery Hardware Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Quality at a Brilliant Price, 18 Nov 2014
This is not the sort of product that I would normally buy on-line, because I prefer to see things like this in person to check the colour, finish and weight for quality. Not finding what I wanted or could afford, I resorted to Amazon!

I need not have worried; these Lever Latch Handles in the Satin Nickel are EXCELLENT!!!!

They have a really good finish. The handles have a nice subtle sheen, which is a little shinier than those I have seen in the shops, but is perfect and really, really nice looking. The colour and brighter sheen nicely lift what is, at the end of the day, just a utilitarian product. These Latch Door Handles are so much better than others that I have seen and I went to lots of shops (B&Q, Wickes, Homebase, local hardware shop, Wilkinsons, The Range etc). They are a good thick metal with a nice weightiness and again, far better quality than others that I have seen, and which would have cost me far more than these ones. Even the screws that are provided are quality and match the metal of the handles. Spindles are also included. The price, for the set of 5 that I purchased, was unbelievably good too.

All in all a BRILLIANT purchase and the Seller (IronMongery Hardware Shop) was brilliant too. I had a couple of questions so sent the usual email via Amazon. The Seller answered quickly and politely and was very helpful. My order was well packed and sent very quickly. All in all PERFECT!
Comment Comment | Permalink

iMobi Accessories Doro PhoneEasy 612 Red Premium Leather Pull Tab Case Cover Pouch (M)
Offered by iMobi Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right!, 18 Nov 2014
I have purchased this as part of a Christmas gift for a friend of mine who has jus been given a Doro PhoneEasy 612 mobile by her husband.

I wanted to get her a case that would be easy to see in her handbag, was not too bulky, would give good protection for the phone and be easy to use. This case fills all the criteria.

It is a nice bright red without being a harsh colour, and the tab makes removing the phone easy, even with gloves on. The leather-look fabric is practical and can be wiped clean when necessary. All in all a good product and would definitely buy again. In addition the Seller was excellent with the product being well packed, my order dealt with swiftly and being sold at an excellent price.

Wheelie Bin Self Adhesive Sticker Kit, Daffodil Design.
Wheelie Bin Self Adhesive Sticker Kit, Daffodil Design.
Offered by CLASSIC SIGN AND DESIGN LTD

2.0 out of 5 stars Too fiddly to do, 18 Nov 2014
It was not the fault of the Seller, they were very efficient in dispatching my order with all due speed.

The colours of the Daffodils were nice and vibrant, BUT every little part of what you see on the Wheelie Bin has to be individually cut out and then applied!

I decided that this was going to be too fiddly and not what I wanted to do. I had thought that the whole flower would have been peel off and then just attach to the bin.

I contacted the Seller and asked to return the product. There was no problem, they were extremely polite and helpful and my refund has now been received.

Brilliant Windows 7
Brilliant Windows 7
by Steve Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow and well presented, 7 Nov 2014
This review is from: Brilliant Windows 7 (Paperback)
I doesn't matter if you are young or old. these days probably most homes have at least one computer user/owner in the family. It is likely that most of these people are younger rather than older and as young people have a natural affinity to modern technology, us older people often find it more difficult but usually get there in the end!

For years, both at the work and at home, Windows XP was the operating system that I used. As it was very stable and reliable platform, it was with great reluctance that in April 2014, when Microsoft curtailed support for Windows XP, I had to take my trusty desktop computer to the techs and get them to upgrade it. Ah, Hello Windows 7! "Oh, you will be ok" said the tech guy, "it is very like XP". So, off home I went, sorted out all the cables and connections to get my little desk at home back to normal and then switched on!

Yes, Windows 7 is sort of like XP. The same things are there but sort of named differently and this is where a book like this comes in to play. The author has produced a book to help users are migrating from Windows XP and from Windows Vista and the object is to make that transition easier for us.

The Table of Contents is very comprehensive, colour coded and with excellent detail to enable the user to easily find the area that they are wanting help with. When you get to the pages you need, you will find the information very clearly written and included are screen shots and other snippets and useful tips.

This text book is printed in a very comfortable to read typeface and because it is a slightly bigger book once open it stays in place nicely for use on your desk. I found this book so helpful and user-friendly.

Using Microsoft Windows 7
Using Microsoft Windows 7
by J. Peter Bruzzese

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Reference Book, 6 Nov 2014
There are probably more homes these days that have at least one computer user/owner in the family, rather than do not. I would think that most of these people are younger rather than older and as we all know the younger you are the easier it is to adapt and learn new things. Young people also seem to have a natural affinity to modern technology, whilst us older people find it more difficult but usually get there in the end!

For years, both at the office and at home, Windows XP that was the operating system that I used. It was very stable and reliable, so it was with great reluctance that in April 2014, because Microsoft curtailed support for this system, that I had to take my trusty desktop computer to the techs and get them to upgrade it. Hello Windows 7! "Ah, you will be ok" they said, "it is very like XP". So, off home I went, sorted out al the cables and connections to get my little desk in the spare room back to normal and then switched on!

Well yes it is sort of like XP and the same things are there but all sort of named differently. That is where a book like this comes in to play. The author understands that users are migrating from Windows XP and from Windows Vista and the object is to make that transition easier for us.

I liked that the Table of Contents is very comprehensive and not just a list of main headings. There is a lot of detail so that the user can easily find the area that they are wanting to look up. When you get to the area that you want to look at you will find the information and then you can try it for yourself as the author provides a step by step guide for you to do it. There are other snippets and screen shots.

This text book is printed in a very comfortable to read typeface and given that the co-authors are an internationally published technical author/tech speaker/journalist and a Microsoft Certified Professional who provides network administration and technical support to IT departments, it is little wonder that this book is so helpful and user-friendly.

PRO PLAN Cat Wet NutriSavour Sterilised with Chicken in Gravy 10x85g (Pack of 4, Total 40 Pouches)

4.0 out of 5 stars "Dexter" says yum yum!, 6 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is another premium quality cat food for "Dexter", my cat tester to try.

A great success because as soon as the pouch was opened, "Dexter" tucked into it and looked for more.

Getting the right food for "Dexter" is not always easy because in the past, several different brands have made him sick. This NutriSavour Sterilised did not cause any vomiting. (He does not have a medical problem causing the sickness as he is regularly checked out by the Vet, vaccinated, flea prevention treated and wormed.

It is early days to ascertain whether "Dexter" finds the food completely satisfying his hunger, but he certainly likes it. It is expensive, but a very good quality cat food, and this is the only reason that I have deducted a star

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20