Profile for Chris in Hampshire > Reviews

Content by Chris in Hampshire
Top Reviewer Ranking: 269

Chris in Hampshire "Mrs C" (Hampshire, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Yoppy Sexy Glam Eau de Parfum 50 ml
Yoppy Sexy Glam Eau de Parfum 50 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and Worth a Try!, 29 Jan. 2015
I have to say that this is a very inexpensive perfume so I do not feel it is right to expect too much.

The bottle and box are exactly as shown on this sale page but there is no cellophane sealed covering to the box. It did not bother me, but I do know that it does concern some people, so that is the reason for mentioning it.

Once sprayed on, the scent is quite strong, but on me I found it dumbed down after about 3 hours. Once it initially wears off it is a nice warm scent.

I liked it but have a personal preference for scents that last a long time. Having said that because I am a much older person, I do believe that the changes that happen in the body do alter how perfume lasts.

Is it a good buy, for the money it is definitely worth trying as it may well suit you! I have only awarded it 3 stars because it did not last that long on me.

London Scene Wall Clock
London Scene Wall Clock
Offered by SelectiveGoods

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooo Cute, Soooo Sweet & Lovely, 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: London Scene Wall Clock
It is exactly as described in the details. The colours and face of the clock are exactly as shown and it really is very sweet, a lovely souvenir.
Yes, it is small, but with such a 'busy' decoration to the face of the clock, if it were larger it would be too overpowering in the average home. (Clock Face = 6½ inches across)

The hands of the clock are on the outside of the face there is no additional glass over the top of this. It is what I call an open face. I do not believe this to be detrimental. I have an open face wall clock in my home and have had it since about 1990 and the openness has never caused a problem at all. It is still going strong today!!

The price is EXCELLENT for such a novel and well packed product. It is contained in a cardboard box that under the cellophane top cover, the hand of the clock are protected and kept in place with hard transparent plastic. (I have included a photos to show this).

Because I have purchased the clock as a gift for relatives in America, I did not want to take it out of it's packaging. It does not come with a battery and this is clearly stated on the back of the box. It needs an AA sized battery.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Dettol Power and Fresh Citrus Zest 80 Wipes (Pack of 4)
Dettol Power and Fresh Citrus Zest 80 Wipes (Pack of 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but Effective, 28 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Supermarkets and outer retail outlets have a huge selection of cleaning wipes such as these, however Dettol is a good old fashioned well know brand that inspires trust in the product.

Whilst there is no substitute for a good old clean with cloths and spray cleaners for cleaning, or, concentrated cleaner added to a bowl of hot water, I like these type of wipes because of their simplicity and ease of use.

The pack is for 80 large wipes – they measure 8" x 6¾" – I would prefer them to be a little bit bigger, but not as large as floor wipes. The thickness is quite good.

They are able to be used on non-porous surfaces and are designed for use on the kitchen, bathroom, children's toys & electrical devices but are not designed to be used on porous surfaces, carpets, upholstery or fabric. The manufacturer also lists the ingredients, how to use instructions and the usual warnings. They also state, quite correctly, that the wipes should not be flushed down the toilet. They are no suitable for personal hygiene use and should be kept out of the reach of children.

I found these wipes to be very effective for cleaning and certainly did remove grease from the top of the cooker. Where these type of products come into their own is for wiping wall switches, remote controls, door handles (depending on what they are made of), keyboards, mice ~& desks/work stations – particularly in the office at work.

The Lemon/Lime fragrance was not too strong and was nice and fresh. I do not wear gloves when cleaning so was interested to see how gentle on the skin these wipes were. They did not make my hands feel irritated in any way and the fragrance did not linger on them either.

The wipes are moist enough to do the job but they are not over wet and I did not find the need to dry the surfaces afterwards as any moisture residue soon evaporated.

Whilst I really like these Dettol Wipes, I find them to be expensive and would only buy them when on special offer in the supermarket. The price is the only reason for awarding 4 stars instead of 5. They are definitely a 5 star product otherwise.

Tacwise 18G 50mm Brad Electric Nail Gun
Tacwise 18G 50mm Brad Electric Nail Gun

5.0 out of 5 stars An Easy to Use, Well Priced, Sturdy Power Tool, 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I had the opportunity to have a Nail Gun to try out and review I was delighted. I have already used and reviewed a TacWise DIY Stapler/Staples and was very impressed with the quality, so I felt that the Nail Gun would live up to that reputation. Also, DIY tends to be left to me as my husband has no interest and with a very low fixed income, we need to avoid having to employ professionals when possible.

This TacWise Nail Gun is presented in a nice, strong ABS Moulded Case which not only holds the Nail Gun, but also the User Instruction Manual and Nail Pack. It is well designed and is also biodegradable. There is also provision to padlock the case for security of the contents.

* The Operator's Manual is clearly written, with valuable health and safety advice and Power Tool Use & Care recommendations as well. I have never used one of these tools but even I understood what was written and found it easy to follow. It is multilingual and is written in French, German, Spanish and Italian as well as English. For those with Smart Phones there is a QR Code that can be scanned where answers to frequently asked questions can be found. There is also a QR Code inside the carry case and on the Gun itself.

* The machine is sturdy and not too heavy – 2.7kgs to use (I have aversion to weighty things because of lack of wrist strength). Having said that, it feels well made and not in the least flimsy. I think it will give long service for professional use

* There is a removable rubber 'nose' which can be applied if using the Gun on a surface that would be liable to mark. I took it off as I was only using it outside on the fence.

* Loading the strip of nails was extremely easy and is exactly as shown on the diagram in the Operator's Guide. There is a little window so that the user can see if the nails are near to running out. The nails able to be used are 180 Type and lengths of 20, 25, 30, 32, 35, 40, & 50mm

* Clearing a jam is also easy (although it did not jam when I was using it).

* What I really liked is that for safety, there is an On/Off switch, rather than just plugging in to the extension lead and turning the electricity on at the wall socket. I felt the On/Off switch was a bonus. There is a little green light that illuminates when you have switched the electricity on at the Gun. This is a useful reminder to turn the local switch off after use before packing back into the case. Also, even once switched on at the appliance, nails cannot be accidentally discharged as you have to push the head onto the surface to be nailed.

* As well as a very sturdy belt hook there is a little window area when the owner can identify the Gun as theirs. The plastic cover could be glued down to secure so that the identity could not easily be removed. The power cable is of a good length, 3 metres from plug to unit.

* The Nail Gun has the CE – Declaration of Conformity. There is a 1 Month Guarantee for if you are not completely satisfied with the product or it is faulty or damaged on purchase. The consumer has the choice of replacement or refund. On production of Proof of Purchase there is Free One Year Servicing and a One Year Standard Warranty.

I have never used a Nail Gun before, so to try it out I used it to mend some dodgy parts of our garden fence and it was very successful. Once the ground has dried out I will be attacking other fencing on the other side of our small garden. I was using the nail gun in the upright position as opposed to downwards, as you would if doing something to flooring etc. I was expecting it to be hard to use and with a lot of kick back, but this was not the case.

I feel that this is a quality Power Tool, reasonably priced and well presented and am therefore giving it 5 stars and this is not because it was free!

I have attached some photos that I have taken of the product.

Safe House
Safe House

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Story with Many Twists & Turns, 24 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Safe House (Kindle Edition)
"Safe House" - 2 flash comments on the front cover refer to this book as ' . . . . a dark, absorbing thriller...' and ' ... an exciting well crafted thriller...' These comments could not be more apt. It is a brilliant book, it really is. The sort of story that would translate well to the small screen in similar vein to "Broadchurch".

I hate books that take me a long while to get into. I like to be drawn in at the first chapter and this story does just that.

The story is set on the Isle of Man, the home of the TT Races. Rob Hale (1 of the main characters) is in hospital. He has had a motor bike accident and lost consciousness. Rob has been out for hours and now wakes for the second time, to see a young lady doctor studying his chart. As well as concussion, Rob had sustained a fracture to his left shoulder, bruised ribs, minor abrasions to his left side and bruising on his leg. Although barely awake, Rob wanted to know how Lena was, his friend that had been taken in the 1st ambulance according to the facial haired paramedic. He told Rob that she had been hurt worse and had to be taken first.

No one seems to know about Lena!

Dr Stanley comes to see Rob and warns him about the side effects of his accident and loss of consciousness - headache, dizziness, nausea and confused thinking! Rob again asks about Lena telling Dr Stanley that she had been taken in the 1st ambulance. There was only one ambulance and only one person found at the scene of the accident - Rob Hale, Dr Stanley confirms.

The story goes on with police interviews, Rob's parents visiting him and the journey he undertakes to find out what happened. Along the way we meet Rebecca Lewis a Private Investigator from London. We learn of Laura, Rob's deceased sister and we go to the safe house - but is it really safe?

All through you will keep thinking you know what is going on, that you know what the mystery of it all is, that you know how it is going to end. How wrong will you be? As you follow all the twists and turns and dead ends I think you will be surprised at the end!

An excellent book, a real pager turner and a story that you will remember. Enjoy your read!

Tropiclean Ear Cleaner, 4 oz
Tropiclean Ear Cleaner, 4 oz

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Easy to use Routine Product, 23 Jan. 2015
Very easy to use. It is not in any way greasy and has a really lovely fresh and clean smell. The long nozzle (remember when you remove the blue cap, to cut the top off the nozzle) makes it easy to use in the dog's ear, but remember not to insert too far, only as far as you need to dribble the cleaner into it otherwise you may damage the ear. Just hold the ear flap down as you gently massage the base of the ear, so that the liquid can penetrate and do its work. After a little while, clean the outer/accessible part of the ear with some cotton wool. Don't use cotton buds or poke anything down into the inner ear as you can cause damage and hurt the dog or cat.

It is a cruelty free product that represents good value for money and certainly does the job. I use it on my two dogs as a routine preventative.

Photos of my two 'girls' to show the different types of ears!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Windows 7 Tips & Techniques In Easy Steps (First)
Windows 7 Tips & Techniques In Easy Steps (First)
by Stuart Yarnold

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to help with change of Operating System, 23 Jan. 2015
I did purchase this for a Christmas Gift for friends, who like me had used Windows XP for many years quite happily but who reluctantly had to upgrade last year due to Microsoft withdrawing support for this Operating System. Like me they chose Windows 7 not only because it was the nearest to XP but because they, like me, had been advised that Windows 8 was not user friendly for us older people.

I had a look at the book before I wrapped it up and it was really very good. Easy to read and find you way around. Very clear printing and helpful illustrations.

The feedback from the recipient was excellent, they were delighted with it and found it very useful.

AATU 80/20 Chicken Dog Food, 1.5 Kg
AATU 80/20 Chicken Dog Food, 1.5 Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but VERY High Quality, 23 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This AATU is extremely expensive, but nonetheless I was very interested to try it out on my 2 dogs as unfortunately I could never afford it for them. However they always do say ' you get what you pay for' and that really does apply to this amazing Dog Food.

I would classify this as the Rolls Royce of Dog Food! There is absolutely no rubbish in it, all the ingredients are very, very, good quality. The Manufacturer has obviously wanted to created a really pure dog food for our K9 friends and they have certainly succeeded. Free Run Chicken is the main ingredient – 80% - made up of 50% fresh and 30% dried chicken. There is a marvellous selection of Fruits, Vegetables, Herbs and Vitamins along with Glucosamine, MSM & Chondroitin to assist with Hip and Joint Care. There are no artificial flavourings, colour or preservatives or any GM ingredients. Not only that it is British made. PETA and in the Good Shopping Guide for Ethical Products. Perfect! This food really does hit the spot for quality and care of our dogs.

It is obvious that the Manufacturers claim to have done much research, observation, using advance technology, along with listening to thousands of dog owners seems to be proof of that, given the pure dog food that they have produced. I really wish that I could feed it to my girls on a regular basis. It really can be classified as a "Super Food".

The pieces of this kibble are quite small so are well suited for little dogs. Having said that, "Maisy" our petite Border Collie likes to chew her food and is not a gobbler and has not found the size of the pieces too small. "Amber" our mongrel (Alsatian x Greyhound x Staffie!) is a gobbler, but even she managed to crunch some of the pieces! Both enjoyed the food. The pieces are nicely hard and so should help to keep teeth cleaner rather than the softer kibbles. (I even tried a tiny piece and it is hard.) I found it clean to dispense (ours dogs have 2 out of their 3 daily meals in activity toys) and there was no undue residue on my hands or any lingering smell. (I have put a photo on to show the size of the kibble)

This food is packaged extremely well in a thick recyclable (depending on your local Council) bag that has a strong re-sealable top (see my photo).

The is a wealth of information on the bag including a Feeding Guide based on the weight of your dog. The list of ingredients is also written in 8 languages.

The Manufacturer also gives excellent advice, to add this food slowly to the existing food that you give to your dog, so that your pet's stomach is not bombarded with this new pure food. Replace 25% of the existing food with this AATU food.

Lastly, there seems to be a long life span to this food as the Use By Date on the bag I received is not until 24 Jan 2016!
Comment Comment | Permalink

TOOMAX 180 x 77 x 46cm Wood Line Large Storage Unit with 2 Doors/ 4 Adjustable Shelves - Grey/ Warm Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturer Left Pieces out of the Box, 22 Jan. 2015
Unfortunately, I have had to return this to Amazon for a refund. I had purchased it on their Warehouse Deals and knew that there was some cosmetic damage to the bottom of the unit. This was very minimal and not a problem at all.

What was a problem was when all the parts were being checked and assembled by the gentleman who does small jobs for us, there were 2 essential parts missing. He had assembled the bottom of the unit but when it came to then adding the top part of the unit, the 2 side joiners (shown as the darker coloured band at the side in the picture), they were missing.

I decided to contact Plastmeccanica, the Manufacturer, to see if they could supply the missing parts. They wouldn't and kept referring me back to Amazon. I knew that Amazon would not have the parts to supply and was very disappointed with Plastmeccanica as they seemed quite disinterested in my problem. I had asked if I could purchase these missing bits!

What I did see of the lower half of the Unit when made up was that it would probably have been ok. I don't think it would last forever, but where I wanted to use it at the very end of our narrow garden in a shady position, I think it would have been ok. I was going to get Matt, our handyman, to seal the joints to ensure it was waterproof and he said there would not have been a problem. I don't think that these STorage Units are worth the full recommended retail price though.

It is now off to Amazon who as always are helpful and have no problem in an item being returned. Obviously Amazon could not offer a replacement because it had been a Warehouse Deal and I knew this at the outset. If there had been 2 of them on the Warehouse Deal then clearly they would have exchanged it for me.

I know I did not get to use this Storage Unit but I have given it a 3 star rating based on how the quality of the pieces felt and what I observed with the half of the unit that could be assembled. It did not feel flimsy - the box was very heavy to move!!

Hibiscrub - 500ml
Hibiscrub - 500ml

5.0 out of 5 stars An EXCELLENT and Versatile Product, 21 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Hibiscrub - 500ml (Misc.)
Many years ago I worked part time in a private hospital as a domestic assistant and that is where I was first introduced to Hibiscrub. Years later, I worked in a Veterinary Practice and here again, this product was used. It is routinely used in hospitals both pre and post operatively.

Hibiscrub is an antiseptic disinfectant for the skin. It has a lovely clean fresh smell and is very gentle on the skin. There are warnings on the pull back label, affixed to the container, which you must read, in case you are likely to have an allergy to any of the ingredients in it. If you are going into hospital for surgery, it is a very good idea to use Hibiscrub for bathing a few times before you are due to go. That way, if you have MRSA without realising it, you should not have any problems when you get your pre-op checks which include MRSA tests to prevent infection on the wards.

I often use it for bathing to make sure any germs that may have been picked up are dealt with. I suffer badly with insect bites and find that washing with Hibiscrub helps calm the skin down.

It can be used on your dog too for any abrasions or parts that they are fidgeting/licking at (eg paws, legs etc) Vets often prescribe it's use for skin problems, but please be guided by your vet in the first instance. It is a good standby for emergencies, but remember not to let it get in eyes, ears, nose, mouth and genital area. It is best to use diluted, try a mild strength to start with, make sure there is no adverse reaction and then if all ok, you can up the strength if you want to.

It can also be used in hot water for washing down hard surfaces for disinfection purposes. I suppose it is a bit expensive for this use, but I feel is worth the cost because it works. At the hospital, we used it this way to wash the beds and bedside tables down after a patient had been discharged.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20