ARRAY(0xb345dae0)

Profile for 4bs > Reviews

Content by 4bs

4bs (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0/2.0 to HDMI Adapter for Windows and Mac up to 2048x1152/1920x1200 in White
Offered by Cable Matters

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but a bit of a faf setting it up, 8 Feb 2014
I bought this so that I could run two monitors off my Macbook Pro. Yes, it is surprising / disappointing that you have to buy third party equipment to perform such a basic task with a Macbook.
That said, this item does enable this. I am now able to run two 24 inch monitors and the Macbook screen. This is ideal for me. As a web developer, it is much easier to code using one screen and see the results of your coding in another. The third display serves to enable you to read the specs of the job etc. So, I am happy with the fact that this has enabled my to set up my work station the way I want it.

On a slightly negative note, the set up CD that came with the item had out of date drivers. The Cable Matters drivers download web page could benefit from someone who could write clear instructions. After downloading the wrong drivers, twice, I eventually got the right ones and the device worked. Apparently, the support for Apple's Mavericks operating system is not good. I downloaded the drivers for the previous operating system. So far it's working fine. There is the occasional blinking of the screen, but it doesn't happen often enough to be an issue.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2014 7:51 PM GMT

iGloo Slim Clear Gel Cover Case Skin Fits The Apple iPod Nano 7th Generation - Black
Offered by Esung Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 8 Feb 2014
When I first got this, I thought I'd regret not spending a bit more money and getting a "better" one. But, no. I am very pleased with my purchase. It protects my iPod well and is unobtrusive. Just what it should do. So, look no further.

AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset with In-Line Remote and Mic - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, 8 Feb 2014
The sound reproduction is very good. They are comfortable. I like the little case they come with - excellent for packing away in my bag after use. I particularly like the fact that the cable is detachable from the headset end. I use them on my daily train commute to listen to the radio, podcasts and music. They are just the job.

Ten One Design Pogo Sketch+ Stylus for iPad, iPhone, Trackpads and Touch Screens - Cactus
Offered by dureg Express UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good - does the job, 8 Feb 2014
I use mine every day to write notes, on my iPad, in meetings. Does the job, easy to use. Just what I wanted.

VividShield Apple iPad Mini HD Crystal Clear Screen Protector - 3 Pack Screen Guard / Screen Shield / Screen Overlay (Displayschutzfolie, Protecteurs D'écran, Pellicola Protettiva)
Offered by inno-in

1.0 out of 5 stars Threw them away, 8 Feb 2014
Just too difficult to use. I could not manage to put one on the screen without having air bubble issues.
The iPad is fine without them.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2014 6:18 PM GMT

Armorall Protectant 300ml
Armorall Protectant 300ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my rubber wellies, 8 Feb 2014
I bought this to protect my rubber wellies. Also good for locks and stopping the rubber seals around my car doors from freezing together in the very cold weather. Pleased with the results.

Asus PB248Q 24 inch Widescreen LCD Monitor
Asus PB248Q 24 inch Widescreen LCD Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor, 8 Feb 2014
This is my second ASUS 24 inch monitor. I also have a PA246Q. The picture quality is very good indeed. I use both monitors for web development. Colour reproduction is very true. I particularly like the 16:10 display ratio. The extra height of the display makes a difference while coding. The number of and variety of connections is also very useful. I use HDMI for one laptop and DisplayPort for my other. The PB248Q is slimmer, lighter and more compact monitor than the PA246Q. Overall, it is more attractive too.

Toshiba Flash Air 16GB Class 10 Wireless Memory Card / Wifi SD Card
Toshiba Flash Air 16GB Class 10 Wireless Memory Card / Wifi SD Card
Offered by pclive

4.0 out of 5 stars Did I expect too much?, 8 Sep 2013
This SD card is very good. It saves photos very quickly, enabling burst shooting without delays.

The WIFI functionality is OK, but not excellent. But, I may have been expecting too much.

Photos are transferred to your chosen device over a dedicated WIFI network that the SD card creates. The transfer is not speedy, but it's adequate.

So far I have tried it out with my iPad Mini, iPad, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy S3 and my MacBook.
All connect and display the images on the SD card. However, I was surprised that the user interface is a web page. Thumbnails are displayed on the web page. You tap or click the thumbnail to reveal a bigger version. There is also the option to display at full size or as a slow slideshow.

To save the images to your computer, you right click on the image displayed and choose save to disk.
To save on and iPad or other similar device, you press on the image with your finger until the save option is displayed.

While, this does the job, it's not what I thought it would be like. I work as a web developer and it reminds me of a web pages I made back in the late 1990s, using VBScript, to display the contents of a folder on a web page. It seems to me that this card is doing the same sort of thing. But, it is now 2013 and things have moved on. A user interface can make someone love or hate a product, even if it is actually doing the same thing. There are some companies that get it (we know who they are) and some that don't. This is one that seems not to get it.

I'm using the card in an Olympus camera. Olympus have made an app, to view and save photos, that is supposedly compatible with this card. I have downloaded it for my phones and iPads. It doesn't work on either. In this way, Toshiba remind me of Samsung. Great products, rubbish apps. Maybe you'll have better luck with it.

It would be nice if there were a programme / app that one could install, to view and select photos, that works well and looks like something made recently or at least in this century.

Saying the above, if you're not in a hurry or you don't have many photos to look at, you'll be fine.
It beats taking the SD card out of the camera and sticking it in the computer, or connecting a cable.

A couple of things to note:

If you are connecting the card to a device that would normally connect to the internet, you will not be able to connect to the internet while you are viewing photos on the card. The card makes its own network - just between it and the device. You have to change your WIFI connection to the FlashAir's network to see the photos, then change it back to your usual WIFI network to connect to the internet again.

I found that I could not view photos from the FlashAir card on my iPad if I used the default (Safari) browser. I downloaded Chrome for the iPad and it worked fine. This is very strange, as it worked in Safari on my iPad Mini.

Better usability would have got it 5 stars.

Foot Note:

After searching the internet, I have found out that I am able to use the FlashAir card with the Olympus Image Share app (OI.Share) by installing an update to the SD card (FlashAir(tm) Redirect OFF Tool Download). It's here: [...] . Now that I can do this, I don't have to use the web page interface. Much better.

Philips NT9110 Nose Hair Trimmer
Philips NT9110 Nose Hair Trimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Nose and ears hair free, 8 Sep 2013
My ears and nose are hair free since buying this item. It's much better than plucking or trying to cut nose hair with a small scissors.
With the cutting guide in place, you ca also keep eyebrows nice and neat too. Would recommend.

AUDIO Replacement Foam Earpads 6 PACK for Sennheiser PX100 / PMX100 / PMX 60 II / PMX200 / PX200 / PXC150 / PXC250 / MM 60 IP / Sony MDR 410 / Sony MDR-101 / SONY MDR-110LP / Panasonic / Philips / Skype Also Compatible With Most Other Headphones / Earphones / Headsets (50mm Black) - Comaptibles E-Shop
Offered by ICC-TECH