ARRAY(0xa6b55864)

See-through (Nexus)
See-through (Nexus)
by Lindsay Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars sexy & supernatural, 16 Mar 2003
This review is from: See-through (Nexus) (Paperback)
This is one of my all-time favourite Nexus titles, a novel which grips from the beginning and refuses to let go. Imagine being able to 'see' not only someone else's actions - i.e. from a distance, in the manner of a psychic - but share their emotions and physical sensations as well. This is the basic premise behind 'See-Through' and it works marvellously in an erotic context, throwing up all sorts of interesting images and narrative possibilities.
Cleverly-conceived and extremely well written, I can highly recommend buying this novel. The two main characters are perfectly balanced throughout the book, in spite of the potential for confusion due to its supernatural premise. And as for the erotic tension...it's so ever-present, the hairs will rise on the back of your neck. Indeed, there's one particularly fine scene involving a beautiful girl, two men, and a loaded gun.
Another Lindsay Gordon title that's well worth adding to your collection! For those readers who may be new to erotica, it would undoubtedly provide a solid and satisfying first step towards starting one.

Everything You Need to Know to Have a Healthy Twin Pregnancy
Everything You Need to Know to Have a Healthy Twin Pregnancy
by Gila Leiter
Price: 10.86

5.0 out of 5 stars highly informative, 15 Mar 2003
I read this book inside-out during my twin pregnancy and found it both reassuring and informative. But as with most books on pregnancy, it tends to be very good in some areas and weaker in others. I think it is probably a good book if you are looking for detailed facts and figures, statistics and precise information which maybe your doctor and/or midwife might not furnish you with. But it does not go into a vast amount of detail where the touchy-feely side of pregnancy is concerned...ie. how your emotions change during the course of a taxing twin pregnancy, which does - inevitably - take its toll on both nerves and body.
An excellent read and a must for the statistician. Also quite helpful when I was diagnosed as being anaemic towards the end, and found some information in this book which helped me persuade my doctor not to put me through a long series of tests, since the blood test he had taken might have been inaccurate (according to this book, the massive increase in your blood volume during a twin pregnancy could make tests for anaemia inaccurate). Indeed, I was fine and the babies were fine. It also recommended eating more with twins - which I did and put on nearly five stone! - but my twins were super weights in the end compared to my two previous underweight singletons. So it really helped.
Certainly worth buying if you're expecting two gorgeous little stars. Oh, and mine were boys, both beautiful and perfectly healthy!

Atonement (Vintage War)
Atonement (Vintage War)
by Ian McEwan
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars An Admirable Ambition, 13 Oct 2002
I am quite stunned by the negativity of some of these online reviews of Atonement. I found the first few chapters hard to get through, mainly because Briony's character is a little unpalatable for my taste and also vaguely unconvincing - her phraseology is rather too sophisticated at times for a young girl - and the ending was (in my opinion) unnecessary and overly-sentimental.
However, the characters of Robbie and Cecilia are so well drawn and their love affair so utterly mesmerising, that I was astonished to read such a mountain of unfriendly criticism where they were concerned. The scene in the library where they make love is - to my mind - one of the most sensitive handlings of a sex scene I have ever read.
His later accounts of the war are quite disturbing and give a real sense of accuracy which adds depth to the story. And some of McEwan's cameos are superb, capturing details which bring a minor character to life on the page.
It is clear that McEwan is merely enjoying a period of experimentation with his novels, and that can only be to the good. Amsterdam was the short form and Atonement is the extended form. Obviously, Atonement is not to everyone's taste, but it is certainly a novel I have returned to on many occasions since buying it and I recommend it to any reader who prefers the range and scope that only a larger canvas can provide.

The Earthsea Quartet: "A Wizard Of Earthsea"; "The Tombs of Atuan"; "The Farthest Shore"; "Tehanu" (Puffin Books)
by Ursula Le Guin
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant and highly recommended., 16 July 2001
I was about 12 when I first read The Wizard of Earthsea and was instantly captivated by its beautiful prose and superbly imagistic storytelling. At the same time as carrying me away into a private world of magic and other-worldly courage, Le Guin's Earthsea stories made me yearn to be a writer myself, to cast those same awe-inspiring spells over a reader. Perhaps because of that, I did in fact become a novelist, though not for many years later.
Novels like these are not simply a question of memorable characters and strong plot. They represent a door into another world for those lucky individuals who discover and devour them while their minds are still young, still open to the limitless possibilities of language. That world, of course, is the world of the symbol, the myth, the hero...the infinite world of the imagination.
I'm 34 now, but on nights when time stands still, I take up my much-thumbed copy of the Earthsea Quartet (my original copies fell apart in the end and were honourably discharged) and lose myself in Le Guin's spellbinding voice, just as I did as a gawky young kid...scared by mathematics and playground games, but somehow utterly enchanted by the written word. Like Susan Cooper's novels, the Earthsea stories are the imaginative touchstones of an entire generation. To be passed down like family secrets to our own children...and our children's children.