Profile for Mr. Thomas R. Parkin > Reviews

Content by Mr. Thomas R. ...

Mr. Thomas R. Parkin "smellynerfherder" (Britain)

More Than Rugby
More Than Rugby
by Pierre Spies
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Like rugby? Like God?, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: More Than Rugby (Paperback)
An interesting insight into the mind of a professional rugby player. He covers his early life in great detail. However, it did leave me wanting more, which I think is the case of all sports autobiographies. There is no faulting Pierre Spies as a Christian, and his message of 'The best is yet to come', is one that has stuck with me since the very first time I read this book.

Favorite Noise
Favorite Noise
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album. EVER., 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Favorite Noise (Audio CD)
This album helped me come to terms with my girlfriend leaving me for a girl. It also helped me get over the fact that I fancied your girlfriend for a long time. Maybe she could be my girlfriend too? Oh, damn: the feelings have come back. Everything sucks.

iGadgitz Neoprene Sports Gym Jogging Armband for Apple iPhone 4/4S - Black
iGadgitz Neoprene Sports Gym Jogging Armband for Apple iPhone 4/4S - Black
Price: 11.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 12 Dec 2013
I run roughly 25 - 30 km a week, and I use this armband every time. It holds the phone securely, and I never have to worry about it. I have run in rain and fog, and the phone has stayed snug and dry.

I did discover that when strapped over certain long sleeve performance shirts, the armband would slip on the fabric, but I just did it up a bit tighter. I would also say that typing for prolonged periods through the plastic cover is a slog, but then it's not designed to be used like that, so I can't really complain. Take it out and text after the run!

Senna [DVD] [2010]
Senna [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Ayrton Senna
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight., 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Senna [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
A very well-made documentary. Some for the archive footage is so incisive that they seem staged. It's illuminating and breath-taking to realise that it was all real.

I watched this film straight after seeing Rush. As a pair, they paint a colourful picture of Formula 1's history.

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking)
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking)
by Patrick Ness

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathless!, 12 Dec 2013
This book picks you up and hurls you out at 120mph. It's a breathless, relentless chase tale across a mysterious alien world called New World. Along the journey, the hero is forced to rethink everything he assumed was true.

As a children's book, it is definitely for the more mature reader. There are a few instances of swearing, but read in context, they really add to the tension.

A cracking book.

The Book of Lost Things
The Book of Lost Things
by John Connolly
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Dark and Gory fairy tale bloodfest, 12 Dec 2013
I don't think it's a huge spoiler to say that everyone dies. EVERYONE. In really gory ways. It was creative, but the really interesting bits outside of the dreamworld seemed rushed.

ResultSport EVA Foam Roller - Blue - 15x45cm (6"x18") - A3 Exercise Poster
ResultSport EVA Foam Roller - Blue - 15x45cm (6"x18") - A3 Exercise Poster
Price: 15.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a regular runner, 12 Dec 2013
A fantastic piece of kit.

HOWEVER...
Only half of the moves printed on the A3 poster are appropriate for the short roller. If you are going to purchase this item, I reccommend finding out how to use it properly beforehand.

Leviathan
Leviathan
by Scott Westerfeld
Price: 5.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Steampunk carnage!, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Leviathan (Paperback)
Good for the kids, but lacked substance and plausibility. I also dislike that it reimagined World War 1 in such a way. It seemed too contrived and distasteful.

Stay Where You Are And Then Leave
Stay Where You Are And Then Leave
by John Boyne
Price: 7.69

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 12 Dec 2013
This is a good book for young readers exploring the idea of losing a loved one, however I thought it was much more rewarding for someone who knew a lot about The Great War. Prior reading leads to greater rewards.