Profile for LoveBooks > Reviews

Content by LoveBooks

LoveBooks

Revision and Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft into a Finished Novel (Write Great Fiction)
by James Scott Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't need to be a writer to enjoy this, 12 Oct 2013
I found out so much from this book that it changed the way I read and I am now enjoying reading more than ever. It encouraged me to pick up and read so many different styles of book. It also let me appreciate the mechanics of storytelling much more which, far from detracting from my experience of story, I feel that it enhanced that experience. For that reason, I would highly recommend this book to readers as well as writers.

Wordpress for Beginners: A Visual Step-by-Step Guide to Creating your  Own Wordpress Site in Record Time, Starting from Zero! (Webmaster Series Book 3)
Wordpress for Beginners: A Visual Step-by-Step Guide to Creating your Own Wordpress Site in Record Time, Starting from Zero! (Webmaster Series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS BEFORE YOU START, 12 Oct 2013
It wasn't perfect or I would have given a score of 5 but I managed to go from never using word-press at all to building all the functions for a pretty decent website in a single weekend. I had not entered the content but that should be done over the next few days. Then I will be able to fine tune after that. I can see there is a lot more to word-press but this book gives you a fast way to avoid many starting pitfalls. Well worth the price. Just remember, this is for building your own site using word-press from .ORG which is not the same as making a word-press.COM site. For me, I wanted to host my own domain, and if you fit into that category then DO BUY THIS FIRST before buying your domain name and your web-host. The book stops you making big mistakes even at that early stage.

On Writing
On Writing
by Stephen King

4.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in style, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: On Writing (Paperback)
King presents us with his autobiography which kept me turning the pages with his well-honed style. It was, at times, the ‘typical’ celebrity story of drug and alcohol abuse which is a little well-worn and, for me, a little boring, yet his crafted style kept me going through these patches. For me, this is sufficient lesson for ‘would-be’ writers but this book is two books in one. King goes on to deliver what he calls his ‘thesis’ on writing which I imagine would be a good basic primer for those interested in writing themselves. As a fan of non-fiction, I enjoyed the insights into the writer’s craft.

Mammoth XT Gum Shield Pro Mould - Moulds to exact shape!
Mammoth XT Gum Shield Pro Mould - Moulds to exact shape!
Offered by Mammoth XT Supplements

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 30 Dec 2012
This had poor reveiws but I found it worked very well. I have tried others that were much more difficult to use. It was soon quite comfortable and I found it excellent value for money. It is certainly a good back-up when used to prevent grinding of teeth.

The Lady in the Van (BBC Audio)
The Lady in the Van (BBC Audio)
by Alan Bennett
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Bennetts usual standard, 30 Dec 2012
I am a great lover of Bennett and heartily recommend his other works. Unfortunately this book is a collection of odd notes taken over several decades and punctuated by the use of an irritating jingle. The work does not work as a unified piece. Do not be put off from Bennetts other works by this review.

An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington
An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and badly written, 27 Aug 2012
Loved the series and bought the book on the back of that - plus the fact that it was only 20p. I hated it. Not a single ounce of Pilkington in it. You are treat to the smug, self-congratulatory and inane scribblings of Merchant et al on-a-bad-day when they can't be bothered. I had the feeling that they are so smug that they feel they can now treat their fans with total disregard and pump out any rubbish and we will lap it up. I was disgusted with this cheep "look at us - we are famous" insult and wish I had not bought it even at 20p. Every sale simple adds to their beleif that they are now so clever and famous that they can disregard delivering quality to their audience. Come on guys - get back to your roots. PLEASE.