Profile for VickiT > Reviews

Content by VickiT

VickiT (Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Xenolith (The Convergence Book 1)
Xenolith (The Convergence Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, 5 Oct 2010
Tight writing (especially at the start) and a particularly strong sense of place drew me into this story. Frank's strength of character, despite his heart problems, carried me through to the end. Multiple plotlines and points of view keep the interest high, moving the story forward at all times.

I only have one quibble and it's minor. Because I was most vested in Frank's storyline and finding out what happened to his wife, the ending was left a bit too much up in the air for me. I wanted to know more! With a sequel in the wings, I realise this was probably intentional. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable read.

In the Name of Revenge (Book One of the Ivanovich Series 1)
In the Name of Revenge (Book One of the Ivanovich Series 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale of intrigue and suspicion, 5 Oct 2010
A month after he graduates high school, Pavel Ivanovich witnesses the execution murder of his parents. He wants revenge, and is willing to go to any length to get it. Almost.

Reina weaves a tale of intrigue and suspicion, where loyalties are stretched to their limits. In Part II (the book is in three parts) the story shifts up a gear. Tension mounts and we really start to get to know Pavel Ivanovich. The characters are well drawn and distinctive, the dialogue convincing. And I loved the twist at the end. I started suspecting not all was as it seemed about two-thirds of the way through the book, but I didn't come close to guessing what it was.

In the Name of Revenge (Book One of the Ivanovich Series) is the first novel in a series. Included at the end of the book is a sample of the next one in the series, "Deadly Decisions". If the preview is anything to go by, it's going to be a gripping series.

Maisy May
Maisy May

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody brilliant, 5 Oct 2010
This review is from: Maisy May (Kindle Edition)
I was hooked from the disclaimer at the front: "This book contains profanity, violence toward bagsnatchers, religious discussions which don't necessarily conclude with 'and of course the bible's always right, as is the church', moral judgments, teen sex, gay relationships, and - possibly worst of all - Australian spelling and slang..."

This novella was so different to anything I've ever read. It was right out there, raw and real. Maisy May is a straight-talking tough nut, loyal as she is outspoken. I loved both her voice and the story.

Bloody brilliant as we Aussies say...

PORTAL (Portal Chronicles Book 1)
PORTAL (Portal Chronicles Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing premise, 5 Oct 2010
Arizona Stevens lives with her father while she finishes high school. Her sister lives with their mother on the other side of the country. Or at least that's how it was before she fell asleep in 2009 and woke in 2008 in her mother's car in an alternate life...

As a general rule I don't read YA novels, but as with all rules, there are exceptions. PORTAL (Portal Chronicles) is that. Whilst I can't comment on the authenticity of the story's teenage characters, the premise is intriguing and Rose's engaging writing style kept me turning the pages. An excellent debut.

Highly recommended for fans of teenage romance and time travel.

The Abigail Affair
The Abigail Affair

5.0 out of 5 stars Nautical action and intrigue, 5 Oct 2010
Twenty-two-year-old Toby Robinson joins a Russian yacht as crew, clueless to what he's signed up for. Ruthless Russians, subterfuge and dead bodies abound.

The Abigail Affair is an action-packed and enthralling contemporary nautical thriller. There's no fluff or flat spots and the story is always moving. What stood out most about this book, though, was Toby's voice and larrikin sense of humour - distinctive yet not contrived.

Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2010 6:49 PM GMT

Radium Halos (A novel about the Radium Dial Painters)
Radium Halos (A novel about the Radium Dial Painters)

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerfully told, 13 Aug 2010
Powerful and skilful use of fiction to tell the story of the women who contracted radiation poisoning from painting luminous watch dials with radium paint in the 1920s. The story is from the point-of-view of Helen, one of the workers, and in her language.

The strength of the story comes from Stout's ability to pull the reader back to that time body and soul. I saw, heard, smelled, tasted and felt everything Helen did. I was there.

Highly recommended.

33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1)
33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading, 13 Aug 2010
With its blend of vampires, horror and religion, this book was so far out of my comfort zone, I thought I might never find my way back. Because of that, it took me a little while to become immersed in the story. If it had been a film I was watching, there would've been plenty of occasions I would've closed my eyes - that's only because I'm a wimp.

I am no judge on what makes a good horror novel, but I do recognise excellent writing when I see it. McAfee's writing is polished, the story well structured and there's a strong sense of place and time. But more than all that, it's compelling reading.

Impressive. Highly recommended.

Leave Me Gasping (A Del Jakes Mystery)
Leave Me Gasping (A Del Jakes Mystery)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced and entertaining, 13 Aug 2010
Del Jakes is ready to cast off her widow's weeds and start living again when she is pulled in to help investigate the disappearance of a childhood friend.

The author's website is [...], but this is more than just a book for the beach. It's great holiday/vacation reading regardless of the season and location. I read Leave Me Gasping in one sitting, curled up on the couch in front of the fire.

A fast-paced and entertaining mystery. Check it out.

Cries in the Dark
Cries in the Dark

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent handling of a controversial issue, 13 Aug 2010
This review is from: Cries in the Dark (Kindle Edition)
Surgeon Ian Buchanan dies rescuing his infant daughter, Alex, from a house fire that animal activists are suspected of starting. Twenty-one years later, Alex is involved in a cycling accident and wakes from a coma to discover she can communicate telepathically with the chimpanzees and other caged animals subjected to scientific experiment.

Cries in the Dark has elements of drama, suspense, fantasy, and romance, but underpinning it all is a strong social message. The message, though, is not delivered in any way that is preachy but through the telling of the story from all sides, including that of the animals. Although confronting at times, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It's one of those rare books that affects you long after you read the last page, but probably more so if you have any sort of affinity for animals.

My only quibble, which is minor and does not detract from the story in any way, is that it seemed to end rather abruptly. Without giving anything away, I would've have loved to have known what happened next. An epilogue perhaps?

Fairy Tale Fail (Novella) (Chic Manila)
Fairy Tale Fail (Novella) (Chic Manila)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick, entertaining read, 13 Aug 2010
Restless Ellie is always looking for excitement and her own fairy tale. Not surprising then that her hobby is researching and planning travel/trips abroad.

I enjoyed this novella. It's not a "girly" romance but it is an easy read. While there were times I would've liked to have shaken Ellie, her blinkered outlook added to the characterisation. Set in Manila, the story also gives a glimpse into another culture. I learned a few Filipino terms like "barkada" and "kuya" that I hadn't come across before.

Recommended for anyone looking for a quick, entertaining read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9