Profile for VickiT > Reviews

Crime Beat
Crime Beat
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and witty, 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: Crime Beat (Kindle Edition)
"We both know things are never as they appear." ~ Crime Beat

A clever and witty story about a small town newspaper and the lengths some people will go to for a story. The intriguing plot, interesting characters, and priceless one-liners make for a compelling one-sitting read. Not only that, the twist in the tale caught me by surprise - the hallmark of a great mystery.

Crime Beat is the third Scott Nicholson book I've read. Each was so different in both style and voice, but all were terrific reads. Nicholson is one gifted storyteller.

We Interrupt This Date
We Interrupt This Date
Price: 1.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, fun and entertaining, 6 Mar 2011
Divorcee Susan Caraway always seems to be at the beck and call of her domineering mother and her "poor me" sister. Then there's her spoiled son who thinks it only just that his mother take on a second job, so he can enjoy college life without working himself. Trying to be all things to all people, Susan's pushed to breaking point...

We Interrupt This Date is a fast, fun and entertaining read. Evans' writing style is fluid, the prose polished. Rom-com is not my preferred genre, but when I reached the last page, I was actually disappointed there wasn't more. A thoroughly enjoyable book.

I look forward to reading more from this author.

Medieval Menace (Menace Trilogy Book 2)
Medieval Menace (Menace Trilogy Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling thriller, 21 Feb 2011
"Like chopping off Spencer Knowles' head and putting in on a stake in the center of one of those Gladiator rings, you know, like what they did in the middle ages."

Neurotic Starleen Maddox's bitterness at being dumped by Spencer Knowles knows no bounds. She goes for nightly walks but can't remember where she's been. She thinks she's losing her mind, especially when O'Malley's Automotive's male employees start turning up dead.

A fast-paced and highly readable story that will have you guessing all the way to the end. Medieval Menace is an unusual -- the main character with her myriad of mental problems not being the easiest to relate to -- but oddly compelling thriller. Kudos to Armstrong.

Deadly Decisions (Ivanovich Series Book 2)
Deadly Decisions (Ivanovich Series Book 2)
Price: 1.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Another helping of revenge..., 8 Feb 2011
Someone's out to get FBI agent Pavel Ivanovich. He just doesn't know who. The mob boss he was responsible for putting away has good reason, but it's not his style. Added to this is Pavel's love-hate relationship with the mobster's daughter...

Deadly Decisions is a cracking thriller, action-packed with an absorbing plot. I thought book one in the series, In the Name of Revenge, was great, but this is even better. The writing is that much stronger, the characters more real. The standout for me was Teresa, the brash mob boss's daughter. At times, I felt just as frustrated with her as Pavel was.

The story is written is such a way that it's not necessary to read the first book in the series, but knowing the history does help to enrich the reading experience.

MANCHESTER HOUSE - 2nd Edition
MANCHESTER HOUSE - 2nd Edition
Price: 3.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Much more than a haunted house, 9 Jan 2011
"We are all victims of our fright and uncertainties."- Manchester House

Built just after the Civil War, Manchester House is more than haunted; it's possessed. When the house claims yet another victim, the police have no choice but to call in parapsychology professor Jonathon Holzer and his SOURCE team...

Horror is not my usual reading, but I'm fast coming to realize it's the writing - or rather the storytelling - that matters, not the genre. The evil in Manchester House is palpable, the suspense menacing. I read each page with growing dread, knowing something bad awaited but not being able to stop. Kirch uses different viewpoints and time-shifts to great effect, controlling pace and tension like a master puppeteer.

With the exception of a few too graphic (for my taste - I'm squeamish) scenes that I skipped over, I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

Impact for Murder
Impact for Murder

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling drama-cum-mystery, 1 Jan 2011
This review is from: Impact for Murder (Kindle Edition)
"The buzz of flies feasting, lay just ahead of us." - Impact for Murder

Hurricane Matilda is bearing down on the small town of Hollow. In the ensuing chaos, local eccentric Tilley Bentley goes missing...

In this drama-cum-mystery, the author shows great insight into a small town under stress, with the first half of the story focussing on the hurricane's aftermath. It's not until the second half that body parts start turning up and the mystery ramps up.

Galbiati's wonderful conversational writing style is better than ever, continuing to draw the reader in. Her characters are all larger than life, but it's the sassy Callie Murphy who steals the show, followed a close second by her dogs, Yadar and Hannah.

The Other Boyfriend
The Other Boyfriend
Price: 0.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Story with a moral, 1 Jan 2011
"You want me to help you find a boyfriend for your lover's partner?" - The Other Boyfriend

You can't help whom you fall in love with. Unfortunately for Sarah Jamison, she's fallen for Jeffrey Williams, a man who is not only married to his job but is already in a relationship. With the help of her best friend, Monica, Sarah hatches a plot to get Jeffrey all to herself that involves finding a boyfriend for her lover's partner.

The Other Boyfriend is a light-hearted, entertaining read but also quite sad. Maybe sad because I've had friends throw away their prime years on married men. That aside, though, Massara crafts an engaging story - one with a moral.

I liked the character of Sarah (except when I wanted to shake her) and her fetish for throwing imaginary ashtrays and also that she was older than your average chick-lit heroine. Jeffrey, I wanted to... well, I'll leave that up to your imagination.

The Scent of Money
The Scent of Money

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging dog mystery, 1 Jan 2011
Tasha, a red German Shepherd, is the only witness to a brutal double-murder. When head-strong Becky McAllen, who cares more for dogs than she does people and who also happens to be married to the police chief in charge of the case, fosters Tasha, she becomes the killer's next target.

Laced with humour, The Scent of Money is an entertaining and engaging mystery and one I'd recommend to all mystery fans, but especially those who are dog-lovers. Dogs play an integral part in the story and it is obvious that Galbiati writes from experience. I also liked the first-person narrative. It gives the story a real intimacy.

The only quibble I have - and it's minor - is that I felt the prologue didn't set the tone for the rest of the book. The reactions of the women who discover the bodies somehow feels too flippant.

I'm looking to forward to reading Galbiati's second novel.

Fatherly Love
Fatherly Love
Price: 1.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Edgy hardboiled mystery, 1 Jan 2011
This review is from: Fatherly Love (Kindle Edition)
"Australia was a big place, and there were ways of losing yourself if you had a mind to." - Fatherly Love

Construction millionaire Miller Turnbull hires ex- newspaper reporter Nat Barker to find his missing daughter. Turnbull and his daughter had been estranged for ten years, but he'd managed to at least keep track of her. That's until his wife died.

I thoroughly enjoyed this short hardboiled mystery, reading it in one sitting. Wallace wastes no words, the result being a taut, edgy story that suits the genre so well. Ditto the flawed, tough (on the outside) main character.

I look forward to reading more from B.A. Wallace.

GONE
GONE
Price: 2.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful page turner, 1 Jan 2011
This review is from: GONE (Kindle Edition)
"Clare had been five when her mother pointed a gun at her head and fired." - Gone

Twenty-five years later, Jolene Marshall is executed by lethal injection. FBI Special Agent Clare Marshall is truly alone, abandoned by the mother who'd tried to kill her. That's until she learns the whereabouts of her younger sister, Katie, adopted when she only a baby. Except her sister has gone and no one knows where to...

A fast read, full of danger and suspense with memorable characters that draw you into the story. Throw in an unresolved relationship with the perfect balance of sexual tension and you can't help but keep turning the pages.

My only quibble is that I now own three novels by different authors with the title GONE.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9