Profile for J. A. Shipman > Reviews

Content by J. A. Shipman

J. A. Shipman "Al" (Liverpool)

Page: 1 | 2
(Medium) Navy/Red Soles Up Front Crewsaver Kayak Cag. Designed as a White Water Paddle Jacket To Give Protection When You Need It Most. Ideal for inshore and offshore sailing, Crewsaver Spray Tops keep away the wind chill. Waterproof fabric. Action cut design for excellent performance and comfort Adjustable PU collar and cuffs Adjustable waist band
Offered by Soles Up Front

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions, 21 Aug 2013
Just back from a holiday in Skye where I was using this for some sea kayaking and also when walking on some days. It does a great job, and is quite lightweight. With a cool breeze on a misty day it was a great alternative to a standard waterproof while walking

Anker® Astro3 10000mAh Multi-voltage 5V / 9V / 12V 2A External Battery Pack ( Dual USB Output plus DC output ) for Samsung Tablets (Samsung 30-pin adapter not included), Netbook, Digital Cameras, DV Recorders, PS Vita, Nexus 7, NDS, NDSL, GoPro; iPad mini, iPhone 5, (Lightning Cable not Provided) / all iPads and iPhones; Samsung Galaxy S3; HTC Sensation, One X V S, Desire C S; Nokia Lumia 920 - [12 connectors for mobile phones, 6 connectors for tablets, UK AC adapter included for a fast charge]
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions, 21 Aug 2013
Bought this ahead of a couple of weeks camping. I used it to keep my Samsung Note going and in particular to keep it running when I'm doing all day walks while using GPS mapping programs. Very pleased with it's performance!

Adam Robots: Short Stories
Adam Robots: Short Stories
by Adam Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Speculative fiction at its best, 27 April 2013
I was already impressed by earlier works by Adam Roberts, but with not enough hours in the day to read as much as I'd like, it was a delight to find his latest is a collection of short stories. I'm only a third the way thru so far and I already feel like I've had more than my money's worth. The stories are varied (in content and style), entertaining, humorous, thought-provoking, and enthralling. Roberts is a master of his craft, whose work is very accessible. I'd humbly suggest that this would be a great introduction to the author to the previously unacquainted.

Seagate STBV2000200 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black
Seagate STBV2000200 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars First impressions, 21 Dec 2012
Received promptly. Works straight out of the box. Has it's own software but have ignored that and just used copy and paste. Works a treat so far. Takes some time to perform the upload, but this is entirely consistent with the USB2 connection speed that I am using. Seems solidly built. Detects when connected to a live pc and switches itself on and off accordingly. Using this as my primary back-up, but remember any system can, and will, eventually fail, so at some point in the next few weeks I'll start using DVD discs to create additional back-ups of photo's, music, data-files etc

One Last Hard Goodbye
One Last Hard Goodbye

4.0 out of 5 stars Very 'Eagles', 5 May 2012
This review is from: One Last Hard Goodbye (Audio CD)
Having seen this band play a support slot in Liverpool recently, I thought I'd try the current album. Although a North Wales band, there sound is unashamedly American Country Rock in style. Not something that normally takes my fancy, but it's got as much a rock feel as country. The fact that you can easily imagine the Eagles picking up a few of these tracks and covering them is intended as a complement. There's a few american rock bands that could also do well from covers of some of this material. There's a good mix of guitar work throughout the album, and the song-writing is largely good, at times exceptional. Throughout the album there's a timeless sense of mid and west coast USA. The title track `Hard Goodbye' gets the album off to a solid rock start. `Walking on hot coals' is a well delivered ballard. `Tennessee Lake' is atmospheric, `The price I pay' is a jolly bounce down the road of life, `Nothing lasts forever' is back to rock, one of a couple of tracks that makes good use of some horns without letting them detract from the guitar work at it's heart. `When I'm gone' brings the pace down with a reflection at the end of a life. It would be a crime if the Eagles or another band didn't pick up on `Oh Lord' as a big seller. Everything about this track (lyrics, music, production) is spot on. Classic country rock with `Love can be cruel', from the harmonies thru to the slide guitar that runs right through the album. `Lavender Girl' is more than good enough as it stands, with lots of details and nuances that they have been written into its 4 minutes that make it a lot of fun. Time will tell what I make of these and the other tracks long time. I only found one track that I didn't like. That could just be because, at the end of a CD over 57 minutes long, I was running out of attention, but I suspect it's because it was a last minute filler. So there you go. Not an album I would normally consider my kind of thing, yet one I have instantly taken to. And just a reminder that these guys deliver a solid live set.

Pentax Optio WG-1 Digital Camera - Black (14MP, 10m Water Proof, 1.5m Shock Proof,  5 x Wide Angle Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD
Pentax Optio WG-1 Digital Camera - Black (14MP, 10m Water Proof, 1.5m Shock Proof, 5 x Wide Angle Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD
Offered by 1A-PHOTO-PORST

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good, minor issues, 24 Aug 2011
Acquired this as my old casio was past it's best and I needed a waterproof for a sea kayaking holiday. So the first time I got to test it was out on the water. The good news ...it is waterproof and it is easy to use. I'm very pleased with the photographic results. But I do have some issues as follows: The range of photographic options is less than I was used to on my previous casio exslim, and to be honest, they were really useful. Case in point: no obvious option for shooting into the sun. And certainly not enough in the way of night shot options. However my biggest concern is the rear screen. Two problems: It's not as sharp or as distinct as the casio, and so if you are slightly off-angle, it's very hard to see. Secondly, the screen stands proud of the body of the camera, which means it's much easier to scratch or damage. Day one, it picked up a lot of scratches from being strapped to my kayak. Day 2 I put a plastic cover over the screen, and that cover has in turn picked up lots of scratches (but at least I can change that regularly). I can see no excuse for not having a protective surround around the outer edge of the screen, especially since the rest of the cameras has a great robust body. Just to emphasise, tho, much of the HD video and the photo's have proved to be excellent, and I'm very pleased with the results. Five days out in the Hebrides and no waterproofing issues. You'll note I've still given the product four stars. Get in touch if you want to see some examples of the shots I took.
Additional: Some months on and I'd like to add that it does a great job of stitching together multiple photo's to make panerama's. Also: I've got some pretty good results from using the HD video at gigs. The sound is nowt special, but the video quality is rather good, even in relatively low light.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2012 5:25 PM BST

Toshiba HDR5010KB 500GB Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder
Toshiba HDR5010KB 500GB Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 20 April 2011
Hi folks,
I want to keep this short and simple. I can validate much of the critic given by several of the other reviewers. That said, I've only had the unit a few days, and I haven't much free time to watch, so I haven't had a chance to assess the quality of the HD channels.
What I can say is that the unit was very easy to set up. It self-boots very well, tho it takes a while to find the channels on the first scan. The guide screen I have found to be excellent. I was entirely happy with this function on previous recorders, but I do think that this guide screen is very easy on the eye and pleasant to work with. Nice large print that fills up the screen. You can hardly see the channel running in the background while you are doing this ...but you can hear it. This is fine for me. I love the fact that you can select a program to record (be it a whole series or an individual program), but after selecting, you are not forced back to the start of the process, so I can continue on thru the same week exactly where I left off in my search. That's brilliant for setting up recordings at the far end of the advanced schedual. I haven't had this function before, and it's a big deal for me.
The unit is stylishly understated and whisper quiet. So. First impressions: very pleased.

Update: A few weeks on and no glitches. Delighted with it's performance.

VanguardTech FM transmitter and car charger for apple ipod Touch 1st, 2nd & 3rd Gen

2.0 out of 5 stars limited perhaps due to technology, 5 April 2010
I've owned similar devices before. They all suffer from radio breakthru in the choosen frequencies. I find this a particular problem on the M62. This particular model has two additional issues. Not convinced of the battery life being that good (tho need to check more thoroughly) and, as one other reviewer points out, the connection is not robust. I suspect similar devices will have similar issues. I suspect that it would be better to look at alternative technologies like bluetooth, but that's no more than conjecture. Of course, at this price, it's not really a purchase I regret, as it is occassionally very welcome.

Under the Dome
Under the Dome
by Stephen King

3.0 out of 5 stars The Silent Vulcan?, 23 Nov 2009
This review is from: Under the Dome (Hardcover)
Some reviewers have compared this with the John Wyndham works. I do not wish to detract from these valid points, but do wish to make the observation that this book repeats the two major concepts explored in 'The silent Vulcan Triology' by James Follett. A town isolated by an alien dome. A power struggle within the town. Which is not to say that I begrudge King revisiting the story and bringing his own masterful touch to it
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2010 7:36 PM GMT

Stationary Traveller
Stationary Traveller
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars An imperfect album more than justified by it's highlights, 19 May 2007
This review is from: Stationary Traveller (Audio CD)
This album is very much of it's time in both its theme and it's production. It's a small treasure in my Camel collection. If you have your doubts about it, it's worth looking up the "Total Pressure" DVD of the 2 hour DVD of the live show recorded at the time, and now available from the band. The line-up included much of the studio band of the time, including Chris Rainbow, and some rather notable guest appearances from old friends.

Page: 1 | 2