Profile for Halpen > Reviews

The Bird in Art
The Bird in Art
by Caroline Bugler

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautiful, stylish art book, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Bird in Art (Hardcover)
I loved Caroline Bugler's The Cat In Art so I bought her new book, The Bird in Art, as soon as I read about it. It costs a bit more but it's well worth it because the book is larger, which means the many illustrations are even better than in the earlier book. It's also just as well written - in my limited experience art books can be rather dry to actually read and you buy them mainly for the illustrations, but Caroline Bugler writes excellently, with a lightness of touch and an eye for the human and the personal that draw you in and keep you interested.

And the illustrations really are stunning!

The Cat: 3500 Years of the Cat in Art
The Cat: 3500 Years of the Cat in Art
by Caroline Bugler

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully produced and written, 21 Dec 2011
I was given 3500 Years of the Cat In Art for a birthday present. I only mention this because it's not the sort of book I'd have thought of buying myself, so it was a delightful surprise to discover how good it was. I thought I'd probably just flick through it, because the illustrations are certainly beautiful, but there's a really interesting introduction that discusses the cat in its historical and cultural context and made me keen to read the rest of the text as well as admire the pictures. Subsequent chapters don't just take you on a trot through the history of the cat in art, they focus on themes such as The Comic Cat, The Portrait Cat and The Eastern Cat.

Obviously cat fanatics will love it, and cat AND art obsessives will have a ball - but I'm neither so I really recommend it to the more general reader too.