Profile for Chris (PSN Chrisw373, XBL KomikBookHero) > Reviews

Content by Chris (PSN Chr...

Chris (PSN Chrisw373, XBL KomikBookHero) (Yorkshire, England)

Dead Space 2 (Xbox 360)
Dead Space 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Horror gaming at it's finest., 5 April 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Dead Space 2 picks up a couple of years after the events on the Ishimura that we saw in the first Dead Space. Isaac finds himself on a space station called Titan Station, or The Sprawl as the residents call it. We don't really know how he arrived there, just that he did, and he's a little bit mad now. He is haunted by visions of his dead girlfriend Nicole, and is stuck on a ward at the medical centre being questioned. From this point things go downhill for poor Isaac, so another thrilling action horror experience begins.

I write this review as a massive Dead Space fan. The first game is a favourite of mine, and I had high hopes for this sequel. Does it deliver? I would say definitely yes. It's not completely perfect, but is so well made that it's hard to criticise it over small things.

The graphics on Dead Space 2 are fantastic. I don't think they're a huge improvement on the first game, but they are very slick. Isaac himself looks great in his updated suit, and the Necromorphs look brilliant. They're very detailed and look truly horrific. The Sprawl itself also looks very good, from the eerie corridors with their flickering lighs, to the views of space where you can see the rest of Titan Station and Saturn in the background. Overall a very pretty game, or as pretty as something so gruesome can be. The level of polish really helps keep you immersed in it. One example is the cut scenes. They're all fairly short and blend in seemlessly with the gameplay. Works very well, and the level of quality reminds me of Uncharted 2 in how cinematic and nice looking it is.

The sound is something else that was superb in the first Dead Space, and the case is the same in Dead Space 2. It is just as important as the graphics in creating an atmospheric experience, and it definitey succeeds in that respect. From the roars the Necromorphs make, to the background music and sound effects. It's all very good. The only negative I found in the sound was in the voice of Nicole that Isaac hears from the start. It's supposed to be disturbing, but in doing that it's so screechy that I couldn't make out what it was saying most of the time. Due to wanting to keep the noise down I often play using headphones. The voices I'm talking about are slightly easier to understand through the TV speakers, but my headphones are pretty decent and everything else on this and every other game sound great, so I don't think the headphones are the problem. I don't know if anyone else has had a problem with this.

The gameplay is largely the same as last time. Very smooth controls that I find a joy to play. Issac is very easy to move around the world, and the combat works extremely well. All the weapons from last time return, along with several new additions. There is the detonator which can be used to deploy mines, the seeker rifle that can zoom in and fire very accurately, and my personal favourite, the javelin gun, which fires out spikes that can skewer Necromorphs to any surface and the discharge a big electric shock as it's secondary fire. All the old weapons are just as much fun, and it's good using different combinations as it totally changes the way you play the game. The stasis and kinesis abilities also return and are just as useful as before. They are both used to solve puzzles, but are just as handy in combat. Killing one Necromorph, then using stasis to freeze another before using kinesis to grab one of the first ones arms to fire at the second one is a lot of fun.

One big change is the way the zero gravity sections work. In the first game it just meant you could jump from surface to surface, but in Dead Space 2 you have complete control over Issac as he floats around. He has thrusters on his feet and back that make it easy to quickly fly where you want. I found it very enjoyable. There is also a section where you freefall at speed while having to avoid obstacles. It all helps vary the gameplay and adds up to a great game to play.

The story was also something I loved about the first Dead Space. It wasn't very original, but it was told in a good way and had lots of audio and video logs to find that helped you understand exactly what had happened on the Ishimura before your arrival and aaded to the story in a big way. Again, the same is true of Dead Space 2. I think the story may be a bit less focused, but it's still very good and quite different to the first game. The backstory told through the logs was also maybe not quite as strong, but still very good. Another change is that Issac now has a voice. He worked great as a silent protagonist, but the voice they've given him really suits. It definitely added to the story for me, and his interactions with the other characters were good. All the characters were very well realised and worked well with the story.

I recommend this game to everyone. If you just like a good bit of action it's definitely worth playing through, but if you're a fan of sci-fi and horror it's essential. I would give it 9/10, but with Amazon's rating system it can only be five stars from me.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)
Batman: Arkham Asylum - Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpasses Expectations, 29 Aug. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First off I'll mention the Collectors Edition itself. I don't understand how you could be dissatisfied with it. The box it comes in is very nice and it's all well presented. The Batarang's cool, looks good. I like the way it's scratched and scuffed to make it look used and worn, although it doesn't look truly authentic. My only real problem with it is the stand it's on looks cheap, and that you can't remove it from the stand. The Doctors Journal's very nice as well, it's interesting and the artwork's great. Added to the whole experience for me. I haven't watched the DVD yet so can't really comment on that. I'll be watching it before long I'm sure. The case the discs come in looks nice as well. On the whole is a very nice set to have, especially if you're a fan of Batman anyway.
On to the game itself. From the start it's striking how good the presentation and graphics are, everything from the characters to Arkham itself looks the part. The whole place drips with atmosphere, it's a fantastic place to get immersed in. The storyline's vey good as well and the cast are all excellent. It really benefits from having the writer and main voice artists back from Batman The Animated Series. Kevin Conroy's great as Batman and Mark Hammil absolutely nails it as The Joker. Again, if you're a fan you'll really appreciate these things.
The gameplay is truly brilliant as well, you really do feel like The Dark Knight. The running about and grappling all feels very smooth, and the way Batman looks while doing it all looks very authentic. It's definitely worth mentioning the gadgets, they all work very well and some are essential to reach certain areas. The explosive gel for instance can be used on structurally weak walls to get through. The detective modes fun and useful as well, highlighting enemies and points of interest. Certainly one of the most important elements to the gameplay is the combat. It's very simple but it just works. Your moves and combos can be as basic or intricate as you want them to be. It's true that you could just go through button mashing, but you wouldn't be getting the most out of it or managing to get the longer combos. It's very satisfying when you've started to master the combat and you just take down a room full of thugs in one flowing move. The most important thing is timing you attacks, aiming each hit with the left stick. As I said, it just works.
Another good thing in the game is the riddles and trophies left by The Riddler. They're amusing and give you extra things to do in game. It's through these that you unlock some of the character bios in game. There's also patient interview recordings scattered about which are both interesting and amusing. You have to really explore to find all these things.
Overall I've got to say that Batman Arkham Asylum is a special game. Easily my favourite game so far this year, and the best comic or superhero game ever by miles. It's a fantastic game in it's own right, but if you're a Batman fan it's absolutely unmissable. As for this edition, I suppose if you're not into Batman it would be less attractive. For me though, I payed extra {} on top of what the normal edition would've cost me and I'm very pleased with it. Was well worth it. Regardless of that, everyone should try this game.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (DVD) (1994)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (DVD) (1994)
Dvd ~ Renée Zellweger

2.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 13 Feb. 2009
I can't believe this film is getting any good reviews. I found it absolutely pathetic and I'm a big fan of the other films and horror films in general. The more recent remake is loads better than this and the original beats it by a mile. Just found this boring with the same nutter just shouting all the way through and Leatherface is just an embarassment to the film. The others are much more clever.

Bioshock (PS3)
Bioshock (PS3)
Offered by MICRO LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Do believe the hype, 23 Jan. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bioshock (PS3) (Video Game)
I'd heard a lot about Bioshock before I got to play it, pretty much all good. For me it was even better than I'd been led to believe. Looks fantastic and plays great but what made it so outstanding for me was that I really love a game with a good plot and that immerses you into the experience. I found the experience similarv to Dead Space in the way you find out the story through logs and things you find along the way. Also very much like that game the sound plays a big part in making it such a good game to play. I loved every minute of it and am looking forward to Bioshock 2 more than pretty much any other game at the moment.

Sonic The Hedgehog (PS3)
Sonic The Hedgehog (PS3)
Offered by Bargain Games UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably rubbish, 30 Oct. 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
It really is astounding how bad this game is. I did like the Sonic Adventure games on Dreamcast but not more recent games. Anyway I just saw this having not heard anything about it. I actually thought maybe with them just calling it Sonic The Hedgehog it might have kind of gone back to what Sonic games used to be about but be a cool next gen version. Not a bit of it. All the things I used to like about Sonic games was just not here at all. I used to really like the speed and playability of the older games but this really does feel awful to play. This is most definitely not what I bought a PS3 for. Much prefer playing the original Sonic on my phone. At a fiver to download thats much better than this total mess. PLEASE AVOID!

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good for the price, 30 Oct. 2008
As many other people have said these phones are a lot better than you'd expect for the money. I got them because the missus works from home and needs some peace and since they arrived I've been using them with my PS3 for games, movies and music. I've been proper surprised how crisp the sound is. I've noticed most on the games, found they really add to how much I enjoy them. They keep the sound in very well too. I'm laid up with a broken leg so been on it all day and the missus says they much better for not distracting her so we both happy. The value of these phones really is excellent, compared to some Phillips ones we just tried that were ten quid more, sounded worse and didn't keep sound in at all, she said they actually worse than not using any because it was a high annoying tinny sound. Noticed a big difference when listening to music with a lot of base. they managed to go quite loud without distorting. Overall am very pleased with them. Just didn't think you could get this good so cheap, recommended.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars a little bit rubbish, 25 Oct. 2008
I tried using the strimmer but it keptkept overhearing every couple of minutes which isn't exactly convenient. It does cut ok but that's not much concern when you spend more time waiting for it to cool down than actually using it.

Dead Space (PS3)
Dead Space (PS3)
Offered by AllGoodDealz

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality horror experience, 25 Oct. 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
Had this game pre ordered and was worth the wait. It's a very immersive survival horror game with a lot of nice touches. The graphics are brilliant and along with the sound create a cool eery atmosphere that really pulls you in. Would recommend this to anyone who like a game you can really get into that give you a few frights along the way.