Profile for Annie G > Reviews

Content by Annie G

Annie G

Berlitz: Naples, Capri & The Amalfi Coast Pocket Guide (Berlitz Pocket Guides)
Berlitz: Naples, Capri & The Amalfi Coast Pocket Guide (Berlitz Pocket Guides)
by Berlitz

5.0 out of 5 stars small but perfectly formed, 27 Feb 2014
I bought two guide books (and a map) from Amazon. They all arrived together on time. Berlitz was the one I carried around in my handbag: first because it was small, and second because it had some really useful fold-out maps within the covers. The physical quality was excellent; the cover and its maps were thick and shiny, and still in good condition after a week of hard use in somewhat rainy conditions. It saved us a lot of time by listing the 'must-sees' and giving helpful routes and background notes as we 'did' the ruins and surrounding area in an all too brief week

Lonely Planet Naples, Pompeii & the Amalfi Coast (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Naples, Pompeii & the Amalfi Coast (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars covers everything between its covers, 27 Feb 2014
as usual Lonely Planet gives much of the information you need, loads of background knowledge, useful tips. I left it with my friend who was staying on for another day in the area, but at breakfast on the last morning I was still finding interesting snippets I hadn't yet read. And of course it arrived from Amazon on time with no problems

Campania (Michelin Local Maps) (Michelin Regional Maps)
Campania (Michelin Local Maps) (Michelin Regional Maps)
by Michelin
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars the map I wanted, 27 Feb 2014
I live in France and searched my local area for a month for this map, but nowhere was it in stock. Then found it on Amazon, it arrived in four days and was cheaper than I could have bought it in France. It served its purpose for motoring around the Pompeii area, but in hindsight a larger scale one of that specific area would have been more useful (if I could have found one)

Life of Pi
Life of Pi
by Yann Martel
Edition: Library Binding

4.0 out of 5 stars bit soft, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life of Pi (Library Binding)
I was expecting a hard cover, but it's a good quality paperback. It arrived on time, it looks OK, but I haven't started reading it yet

Forgotten Voices of the Holocaust: A New History in the Words of the Men and Women Who Survived
by Lyn Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars required reading: all my friends have ordered it since I talked about it, 28 Nov 2013
Everyone should read this book. It makes you realise how insidiously these sort of movements creep in, and aware that similar things could start today. It's all so true and immediate, recalled by the people who were there. Too moving perhaps to take in one bite, but easy to dip into, and so memorable that I can almost quote it now though it's three years since I read it.

Cars Mack Truck Bachelor Pad
Cars Mack Truck Bachelor Pad

4.0 out of 5 stars boys toys, 14 Jan 2012
This review is from: Cars Mack Truck Bachelor Pad (Toy)
Otto loved it, which is the main thing - he took it to bed every night! The toy was smaller than I expected, and a small part broke off within a week, but overall it did its job. I didn't mind paying for it as it gave so much pleasure, but really it was a lot of money for an assemblage of moulded plastic.

Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 Blade Shredder (40 mm Cutting Capacity)
Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 Blade Shredder (40 mm Cutting Capacity)

3.0 out of 5 stars easy gardening dreams in shreds, 24 Mar 2011
Disappointing. I have a large garden: loads of hedge trimmings, both privet and country-style, plus a huge demand for mulch, round trees and on the veg patch. Shredder! Ideal solution. But after one session with some narrow willow clippings (2mm max diameter) the blade was seriously blunted and thereafter extruded strips rather than choppings. I had expected a bag to come with it, but no I had to buy one separately. I had chosen the Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 - Electric Shredder as it is normally a good make and the best in my price range. I shall still use it for tender green clippings, but as for the job I had expected it to do: forget it. It's back to the bonfires for me.