Profile for W. D. Priestley > Reviews

Content by W. D. Priestley

W. D. Priestley (Ireland)

ION iCUE3 Discover DJ Computer DJ System
ION iCUE3 Discover DJ Computer DJ System

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the ION iCUE3 Discover DJ Computer DJ System, 13 Nov. 2012
It functions well, and "does what it says on the box". Easy to use and very effective. If you want this type of stuff, I recommend it.

Metropolis [Reconstructed & Restored] (Masters of Cinema) [DVD] [1927]
Metropolis [Reconstructed & Restored] (Masters of Cinema) [DVD] [1927]
Dvd ~ Alfred Abel
Offered by bestmediagroup

5.0 out of 5 stars A great classic film, 17 Sept. 2011
Most enjoyable, as a scifi film, and a a social comment of the times. Much of what was predicted has come to pass.A cinema organ would be better as sound accompaniament.
I saw this film at a cinema in Melbourne Australia in 1974. I'm sure it had a sequence using television, circular screen. I don't remember whether it was used to spy on the rebels or as a video phone.

A Book of Middle English
A Book of Middle English
by J. A. Burrow

3.0 out of 5 stars My opinion of the book, 21 Oct. 2010
This more of a text book than one to read for pleasure. It does give a good history of changes in the language from early to late, and explains how the grammer of the language simplified to where we are today. I bought it for amusement, having read progressively older and older books, and having got to Chaucer, I thought it would be interesting to get a book on "how to read" even older material. It serves this purpose very well. I haven't got as far as reading the middle English prose and poetry in this book. They range from early to late.

I was born and bred in Australia 65 years ago, and allowing for 'colonial lag', I remember hearing older people speak words for which this book gives translations into modern English. Like 'aks' (pronounced 'axe') for 'ask'; 'five and twenty'. and similar variations, for 'twentyfive' etc. The oldest person I can recall chatting to was born in 1870. I was 10 at the time.

I thus find it easy to read late middle English.

If you are interested in the history of the English language, and are interested in how it evolved (is evolving?) this is a good book to get.

Bill

Gamexpert Cooler King (Xbox 360)
Gamexpert Cooler King (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Product, 23 May 2009
This is an amzing product with promising results. Works perfectly and your Xbox 360 will perform much better. There is on problem though. This product doesn't support consoles with HDMI ports. Apart from thata its brilliant. It throws out 720p when using VGA.