ARRAY(0xa7a98fd8)

Profile for Catherine Scott > Reviews

Content by Catherine Scott

Catherine Scott (UK)

Kipling Suitcase Computer Tasche New Ceroc brown snake tr Size:41 x 24 x 35.8 cm
Price: 52.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, holds loads and lightweight, 11 Aug 2013
This bag is exactly what I was looking for. Like all Kipling bags I've ever had - and I am a big fan - it's extremely well made with plenty of pockets. This one includes a padded one for a laptop and various large pockets for cables and accessories. It'll also take quite a lot of papers and there's still enough room in the main compartment for overnight stuff. I dithered about having the brown snake pattern (which seemed a bit over the top for a work bag) or the plain black but went for the brown because it was 60 cheaper. It's actually quite discreet and not at all Essex, plus it isn't going to show the dirt but wipes clean if necessary. My previous Kipling work bag has been in daily use for about 3 years and is still almost like new, I'm only replacing it because it doesn't have wheels and I now have a much longer walk to the office. These bags are fairly pricey to buy up front but they last forever, hold more, it's easier to organise your stuff with lots of sensible sized pockets and they're a pleasure to use so if you need a bag for daily use I think they're excellent value for money - especially if you wait for the sales!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2013 5:07 PM BST

Gardman Universal Squirrel Baffle
Gardman Universal Squirrel Baffle
Offered by Elex
Price: 12.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 15 Mar 2013
We have 3 very persistent squirrels but they're certainly baffled by this! We've had it 2 weeks now and they haven't found a way around it.

Essentially Feminine Knits
Essentially Feminine Knits
by Lene Holme Samoe
Price: 11.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Great designs but difficult to substitute yarns, 15 Mar 2013
All the designs are great and the patterns easy to follow, I'm sure I will use some of them again and again. There are patterns for beginners and experienced knitters though it's relatively easy to simplify some of the more complicated ones.

However the yarns used are not easy to obtain in the UK. Some patterns, like the one on the cover, are easy to substitute but several patterns use two yarns at once making it much more difficult.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2013 9:17 PM BST

De'Longhi HVF3553TB Vertical Upright Large Fan Heater with Motorised Oscillating Base and Timer

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent heater - but it's not quiet, 13 Mar 2012
This is an effective heater with a small footprint so the basics are fine. On the downside it's quite noisy: although the motor is quiet it makes a loud blowing noise even on 'silent' mode. The oscillator has a separate switch so that when the main on/off dial is turned off it keeps right on oscillating - this feature is almost silent and it's easy to leave it on accidentally.

Dualit 46202 4 Slot Lite Toaster in Cream Gloss Finish
Dualit 46202 4 Slot Lite Toaster in Cream Gloss Finish
Price: 64.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great shame about the toast, 9 Feb 2011
I bought this toaster after my original Dualit toaster died after about 20 years. I chose this one rather than another classic Dualit because I was tempted by the new fangled features like wide slots and a button for bagels. And I thought that Dualit are a good brand and I could trust them. What a mistake. Good toast, cooked fast so that it's crunchy on the outside and doughy in the middle is probably the best food every invented: bad toast, cooked slowly and all dried out or black on one side and pale and soft on the other, is fit only for the dustbin. This toaster doesn't have enough elements so it's slow, and it seems to cook only one side of the toast unless you use the two middle slots and switch both sides on. I knew there had to be a reason why it was so much cheaper than the classic one. Why oh why did I fall for it. For the sake of balance I'll mention that it does seem quite solidly built and looks good on the worktop but Dualit if you're reading this, it's not enough.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2013 11:56 PM GMT

Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 320GB HD Digital TV Twin Tuner HD Recorder - Installation Recommended (Old model)

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be a great product, 3 Aug 2009
I had high hopes for this product. It seemed to be just what I was looking for. Unfortunately it has not lived up to expectations. I have had two samples from Amazon and unfortunately both have had to be returned because the box keeps locking up, requiring a reboot to continue. When the box is frozen you can watch the program it is on but can't change channel and any recordings set up are not recorded. You just can't rely on it to record your programs. I am surprised that there are not more reviews like this on amazon as a search of the internet shows it not an uncommon problem.

Another less serious gripe is that although you can transfer recordings from the hard drive to an external USB hard drive it is incredibly slow. You can only transfer one program at a time and a one hour HD program (about 7GB) takes about 45 mins to transfer.

I will look out for version 2 of this product and maybe try again
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2009 8:37 AM BST

Infectious Disease Epidemiology: Theory and Practice
Infectious Disease Epidemiology: Theory and Practice
by Kenrad E. Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent textbook for students and health professionals, 30 Jan 2002
This is an excellent and comprehensive textbook for anyone working with infectious diseases. Although it has a US perspective, it takes a global view as well. It is easy to read, and the authors' enthusiasm for their subject is evident. It makes a complicated topic comprehensible, and as a student new to the subject I found it gave me a good overview.