Profile for Ms Suzanne Markham > Reviews

Content by Ms Suzanne Markham

Ms Suzanne Markham (Cheshire)

Page: 1 | 2
Batchelors Deli Box Noodles Chicken Just Add Water
Batchelors Deli Box Noodles Chicken Just Add Water
Offered by Cooking Marvellous

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly Revolting, 27 Oct 2013
Bachelors, you got it wrong. I've never written a negative food review before but this is worthy.

I worked in NPD in FMCG for 20+ years and my expert opinion is that these are absolutely revolting. The name 'deli box' misleads, as does the image. The mushed slush that ensues when water is added to this dust (never resembles a noodle at any stage) is something that doesn't stir even the most deprived (or depraved) of appetites.

The 'flavour'...well, chaps, back to the Boardroom on this one. Couldn't say it had one aside from starch and really predictable dried peas.

Never spent a worse two pounds in my life. Nasty all round. Oh and, this is NOTHING like a Pot Noodle at all so the fact it boasts 'less fat' is neither here nor there. I have no doubt it also has less fat than a pound of lard but I know which I'd rather eat.

Did you do any consumer research on this mess? It doesn't deserve one star - but there was no option for a zero rating.

Champney's Fresh Face Illuminated Mirror
Champney's Fresh Face Illuminated Mirror

1.0 out of 5 stars Good looking but dim, 2 Sep 2008
I am a big fan of Champneys' skincare products so when I was looking for an illuminated and magnifying mirror I bought theirs with absolute brand confidence. Unfortunately, whilst the mirror is attractive and very well made, the light level is totally inadequate, even on the highest of the 3 settings. My search for illumination continues!

Premier 20 Mexican Fruit Lights
Premier 20 Mexican Fruit Lights

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the lights!, 2 Feb 2005
These lights are fantastic. Much better than their photograph.
They are basketwork so even when unlit they look really good. Nice party or general decor item without looking like left over Xmas lights.
And if you are wondering, my guess is that the fruits are chillies, pineapples and tomatillos (bit like a green tomato).

Living on Wilderness Time
Living on Wilderness Time
by Melissa Walker

1.0 out of 5 stars Go Bears!, 23 May 2004
Having finished this book I had to ask myself whether the title was ironic, but there's no doubt that Ms. Walker doesn't have an ironic bone in her body.
Her idea of wilderness seems to be a park service campground or a motel without an AAA rating. Her "oddessy" into the wilderness constitutes a few road trips punctuated by popping home to a long suffering husband who gets a poor press, seemingly thru no fault of his own.
I had read a review of this book and anticipated a story of months deep in the wilderness without human contact and surviving off the land, or at least on what could be stored in a cabin. I would loved to hear what the great Edward Abbey would have thought.
Mildly interesting on the ocassions when one recognises a particular spot in a national park one has visited but there's nothing in this book which you won't have experienced yourself if you've taken a 2 week flydrive holiday to the States.
The oft repeated fear that any male hiker or camper is in fact a serial rapist, more dangerous than the bears she also goes on and on about, becomes tedious and does not "enlighten the complexities of the modern world". Soon you'll be rooting for the grizzlies!

Parilla, La: Mexican Grill
Parilla, La: Mexican Grill
by Reed Hearon

5.0 out of 5 stars Petition for a reprint., 23 May 2004
I am astounded to find that this book is nolonger in print. If you can find a used copy buy it at once.
Of all my Mexican cookbooks (and I have almost 100) this is probably my favourite, indeed one of my favourites in any cuisine.
A rare combination of authenticity with the simplicity of modern food writing and stunning photography: photographs of both food and Mexico in a lovely format.
There isn't a recipe in this book which doesn't truly tempt. You won't skip a single page. Dishes such as Grilled Seafood Stew in Fresh Coconuts and Duck and Pomegranate Tacos have become firm favourites in the unlikely setting of my Yorkshire farmhouse. Yes, the location means we can't always cook on La Parilla but you can cook these dishes indoors (admittedly not so much fun).
These days, with internet shopping for chiles etc. you should be able to access the ingredients you won't find in the supermarket. Each recipe is so simple with a short list of ingredients.
I could enthuse about this book all day but suffice to say just find a copy SOMEWHERE!

The Restaurants in Barbados
The Restaurants in Barbados
by David Button

4.0 out of 5 stars SCRUMPTIOUS!, 20 May 2004
A decade ago a holiday in Barbados was marred by the absence of quality restaurants. The reverse is now true and Barbados is a gourmet's destination as this book reveals.
The restaurants of Barbados feature not only gorgeous food (primarily seafood as you would expect) but also wonderful architecture and design, all of which are perfectly depicted in this beautiful coffee table book.
It's a wonderful pre-trip resource to decide where you will eat and a great souvenir post-trip.
The only reason I give it 4 stars rather than 5 is that altho' it has photographs of several dishes per restaurant it only gives one recipe for each. But that's very subjective and as a coffee table book alone you could make a serious case for 5 stars.
And my favourite? Don't miss The Cliff restaurant in St. James on the West Coast but book early!

The Missing
The Missing
by Thomas Eldson

4.0 out of 5 stars You might already have it!, 13 May 2004
This review is from: The Missing (Paperback)
I'm a great fan of Eidson (and Amazon) and was thrilled at the prospect of a new Western from him. Sadly, it is an old book of his, The Last Ride, reissued under a different title - presumably to match the film title.
There is no indication on front or back cover of this and no warning on Amazon.

Country Got Soul Volume 1
Country Got Soul Volume 1

5.0 out of 5 stars UTTERLY SUPERB!, 4 Dec 2003
Hope you made it past the first review. This is an utterly superb albumn. I bought it on spec and it exceeded my hopes. So funky! You can ignore the reference to country in the title. It ain't.
It's going to be a great starting point to explore some artists I'm not familiar with.
My copy describes itself as Volume one. Bring on Vol.2!

Nana
Nana
by Chuck Palahniuk

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware!, 4 Dec 2003
This review is from: Nana (Paperback)
Like you, dear reader, I was thrilled to think that I had discovered a new work by one of my favourite contemporary authors, especially so soon after the publication of Lullaby.
Ssadly, this is not a new novel but a Spanish translation of Lullaby.
Still, I have just taken delivery of his non-fiction piece, Fugitives and Refugees, so I shall console myself with that.

A Real American Breakfast: The Best Meal of the Day, Any Time of the Day
A Real American Breakfast: The Best Meal of the Day, Any Time of the Day
by Cheryl Alters Jamison

4.0 out of 5 stars recommended, 22 July 2003
I wouldn't have bought this book had I only come across it on the internet. Altho' I'm a compulsive collector of cookbooks and a keen cook I've never been much interested in breakfast cookbooks. You can't beat a bowl of cereals with full fat milk and a bacon sandwich in my view. However, I saw this book in the States and was converted.
The book is full of tempting and interesting breakfast and brunch recipes without anything esoteric or uncomfortably fusion.
Try Bacon and Egg Pie with Black Pepper Crust, New Orleans Cafe Au Lait or Butterscoth Baked Pears.
Just one thing - avoid the menudo (Mexican tripe soup) altho' it's great without the tripe.

Page: 1 | 2