Profile for mariopops > Reviews

Content by mariopops

mariopops "Andy Rogers" (SOLIHULL, WEST MIDLANDS United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Thousand Mile Stare
Thousand Mile Stare
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicane ft. MC Sigur Ros?... Brilliant, 27 Jun 2012
This review is from: Thousand Mile Stare (MP3 Download)
Another album from Chicane, another hour of top class music. Having loved his earlier albums this one is no disappointment. To a degree more of the same formula but following on from his version(s) of Sigur Ros's "Hoppipola" a couple of years back this new album features 2 or 3 tracks that really have absorbed the spirit of the maestros from Iceland .. and it works wonderfully . There is only one track on this album that wont be going onto the mp3 player (ironically the single Going Deep)- apart from that , another brilliant album from Chicane . All we need now is the summer to go with the music....

Into The Blues
Into The Blues
Price: 9.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Love her early work. Hate this album., 5 May 2012
This review is from: Into The Blues (Audio CD)
OK so artists have to move on and try new things and I suppose full marks to Joan Armatrading for at least attempting something different. Unfortunately I dont get this album at all. On first play I thought "hmmmm don't like this but it may grow on me" .. on 2nd play I realised I hated the album from start to finish . No discernible tunes, trite blues cliche lyrics and Joan's voice reduced to a monotonous shout . One for J.A. die-hards only to fill the gap in the collection. As for me, I'm going back to the "Me myself I" and "Joan Armatrading" albums to hear her do what she does best; real songs, real lyrics.

Hollie Cook
Hollie Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars Reggae as it used to be, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Hollie Cook (MP3 Download)
I must confess I'd never heard of Hollie Cook until I downloaded the free Mr.Bongo sampler from Amazon last week. I found I loved the two tracks of hers on that album and was inspired to go for her own album on download and I'm so glad I did :-) ... Its a real blast of reggae how it used to be when I loved it back in the 70's .. Others have compared her vocals to Janet Kay (think "Silly Games") and I can see what they mean . Tuneful, Chilled and altogether a real quality album that I'm looking forward to playing as we move into summer .. All in all a real nice surprise and at a bargain price too (3.99 at time of review) .

The Present
The Present
Price: 8.44

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as some people say..., 9 April 2012
This review is from: The Present (Audio CD)
I Have just listened to this after not playing it for many years - I can see why some people run it down but to be honest, what we have here is a typical "2nd period" Moodies album. In other words, it isnt on a par with the "classic first 7 albums" but is no worse than many other rock albums being released around that time. I have no grouse with Patrick Moraz - his keyboard work is fine and if it has dated then it is no worse than any other keyboard / syn-drum record of that era. My complaint is simply that the songs are not that strong. There are one or two notable exceptions- Blue world is a great opener and Running water is possibly one of the best songs that Justin Hayward ever sang. Most of the rest are "OK" , the only track I skip completely is Sitting at the wheel which (to my ears) sounds like Jane wiedlin's "Rush hour" with John Lodge on vocals. Not a good thing. So, buy it to somplete the set if you are an ardent fan. If not, download Blue world and Running water is my advice .......

Motion
Motion
Price: 8.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than Kind of Blue? You're joking., 4 April 2012
This review is from: Motion (Audio CD)
OK, so I don't know much about The Cinematic Orchestra... I bought Ma Fleur a year or so back and loved it so after reading that people really rated "Motion" and compared it to "Kind of Blue" I thought I'd give it a whirl. Oh dear. Parts of the album are mellow enough with the use of muted trumpet etc to get a feel of Miles Davis I suppose but the whole album is suffused with great swathes of samples and loops in the best 1999 style .By track 4 it all started to grate and irritate as far as I am concerned ( I appreciate that I am probably in a minority here but hey, its only my opinion) . Either way, not what I was expecting after "Ma Fleur" .. I've listened to Motion twice and sadly cant see what the fuss is all about and have no desire to listen to it again. To compare the album with Kind of Blue is just absurd. This one is on its way to the charity shop ....

Under the Dome
Under the Dome
by Stephen King
Price: 9.09

3.0 out of 5 stars A good idea in need of drastic editing !, 4 April 2012
This review is from: Under the Dome (Paperback)
Lets start by saying I've been a fan of Mr King's books for a long long time- since the original publication of Carrie in fact. Many of his books I regard as classics and I'm glad to say that there are very few of his books I have not enjoyed reading, including those writtn as Richard Bachman. The Dome (or "Under the dome" as it now seems to be called) is one of the exceptions to the rule. The basic premise of the story is good and it starts off well enough; The trouble is that it goes on ... and on....and on with a cast of characters that I neither liked or was sufficiently interested in to keep going to the end of the book. I got to page 500 or so and found that I had lost interest in the whole thing . It says much for the development of the plot and the pace it moves at that I was able to go to page 880 (just to see how it turns out) without apparently losing much , if anything, of the story. With some proper editing this would have made a great 450 page novel. At 900 pages it is twice as long as it needs to be and I give it a generous three stars for the idea and the first half of the book. Disappointing.

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour [1967] [DVD] [2004] [NTSC]
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour [1967] [DVD] [2004] [NTSC]

1.0 out of 5 stars very poor quality unofficial release, 21 Mar 2012
Just to say that Magical Mystery Tour has never been officially released on DVD. I have seen parts of this DVD and it is unbeliveably bad both in visual and sound quality. Sound drops out, there is occasional loss of sync etc. I've still got my (offical) VHS copy on which the music was remastered by George Martin no less - that tape is quite old now but still a lot better than this appalling DVD. DO NOT BUY IT! Maybe, just maybe, Apple might release it properly remastered one day ...

Earth Healer 2
Earth Healer 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Medwyn at his best- a true return to form :-), 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: Earth Healer 2 (MP3 Download)
For those of us who have been waiting for Medwyn to return to the style of the original Medicine Woman and Earth Healer albums of the early 90's I am glad to say the wait is over! Earth Healer 2 is a truly brilliant and inspired return to everything Medwyn does best - mostly acoustic with real instruments including his trademark pan-pipes and some lovely work on acoustic and electric guitars.. A really fantastic album in every way, not a bad track on it and a true return to form: Special mentions to Track 4 and 6 but in truth they are all excellent.
This is easily the best Medwyn Goodall release for a good many years in my opinion (and I have been buying his music for a long time now, 1987 in fact!) and is a lot more like Medicine Woman then any of its "sequels" .The good news is that apparently this is the start of many more releases in this nostalgic / acoustic vein with plenty of sequels to classic early albums in the pipeline- I for one cant wait to hear what comes next ..
So for fans of "old style" Medwyn Goodall (but with modern production values) part with your cash in confidence .. if like me you prefer your music on shiny silver discs rather than downloads log onto Medwyns site[...] or find them in his shop on ebay.
I Very Highly recommended this album !!

The Knickerbocker Glory Years: The Great British Book of How Not to Eat
The Knickerbocker Glory Years: The Great British Book of How Not to Eat
by Martin Lampen
Price: 8.69

1.0 out of 5 stars woefully un-funny pseudo grumpy rubbish, 20 Feb 2012
This book is an unbelievably tiresome and woefully unfunny tirade against just about every kind of food , British or otherwise. Dont get me wrong, I like "Grumpy old men" type humour as much as the next man but I found Martin Lampen's self-opinionated constant whining and "arent I just SO amusing" attitude to be unrelentingly boring and annoying. I stuck with it as far as page 24 then consigned it to the nearest charity shop bag. I paid 25p for this in a 2nd hand book shop in Hay on Wye. I was robbed. Laugh? I didnt even come close.. A complete waste of paper and ink.

Hudson-Ford - Nickelodeon
Hudson-Ford - Nickelodeon
Offered by Alemannenprog
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album but this is not an official release, 11 Feb 2012
Hudson-Ford were, of course, part of the Strawbs- the "commercial face" of the Strawbs if you like. Nickeloden was their first release after leaving the Strawbs and is full of great songs , some rock, some ballads and a couple almost touching on "Prog".. I've always loved this album and was thrilled to see it finally appear on CD but BEWARE.. this is NOT an official release. For some reason I can't fathom the band will not authorise the release of this album and so , if you want on CD, you have to buy this (quite poor quality) bootleg version . I have to admit, I transferred my vinyl copy to CD some years back and it sounds better than this version... summary, Brillant early '70's rock, essential for any fan of the Strawbs but buy this copy at your own risk.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2013 12:21 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12