Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for Adrian > Reviews

Content by Adrian

Adrian

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones - Black
Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars SADLY NOT AS GOOD AS THE OLD BOSE HEADPHONES, 18 Mar. 2016
I was very disappointed with these. I had an old set of QuietComfort II headphones for about 10 years and they finally packed up. Having been pretty happy with them, I thought buying the latest version would be a good idea. Initial impression is that the noise reduction on the new ones is more powerful. However, after listening for a while, I'm sad to say the actual sound quality of the latest version is not nearly as good as my old set. I mostly tried them with my iPod Classic (so I was comparing exactly the same device and recordings). At first I thought I had accidentally changed the EQ setting on the iPod, but no. I kept trying lots of my favourite recordings, but the sound quality sounded 'wrong' on all of them. I'd say the 'mid-range' in general sounds 'tinny'. I was so disappointed that I sent them back. What I liked about my old Bose headphones so much was the combination between reasonable noise reduction and phenomenal sound quality. That meant that listening to (often quiet) music on the train was a pleasure. But with the new QuietComfort 25s, it's no good if the noise reduction is better, but the sound quality is not so good. For headphones of this price, you don't expect the sound quality to be worse than the old version. Another disappointment is that while I realised these are designed for Apple products, I thought I would still be able to use them with my hi-fi system at home, but no, they are not suitable. The old Bose headphones had an 'attenuator', which meant you could adjust that to the 'low' setting for using with a powerful hi-fi system at home. These new Bose headphones don't have that, they don't sound right when used with a home hi-fi, and Bose also don't sell an 'adaptor' to get around this. Again, I think for headphones that cost this much, you want to be able to use them with your home hi-fi system as well as your iPod/laptop etc. I expect Bose want you to pay another few hundred pounds for another set of headphones to use 'at home'. These new headphones then, seem like a 'downgrade', rather than an improvement. The old ones did have their faults. If you leant your head back, they'd fall off. Bits of black would fall off them giving you the appearance of having 'black dandruff'. And the battery warning indicator started flashing almost as soon as you'd put the battery in. But they were actually much better headphones than these new ones. I've now bought some Sennheisers instead. They are even more expensive than these, but they are comfortable, have excellent sound quality, fairly good noise reduction, are 'wireless' (if paired with a Bluetooth/NFC device), and work absolutely fine with my home stereo.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2016 8:34 PM BST

Sounding Point
Sounding Point

4.0 out of 5 stars All-purpose beginning?, 4 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Sounding Point (Audio CD)
I would very rarely want to give an album 5 stars, there is always something that could be better. I nearly wanted to give this 5. At first I was a bit disappointed by it, as some of the tracks are for ensemble, some are solo, some are a duo with piano, and some are for a trio of guitar banjo & mandolin. I found this a bit frustrating - I felt like I wanted to hear a whole album of (e.g.) that last trio. I guess as this was Lage's first album, he was wanting to include the various line-ups he was playing in at the time. Having got over this initial frustration, I've found this a deeply enjoyable album. In general I think only fans of guitar music will really be interested in it. I like it now that this paints a picture of someone at the beginning of their career. In some ways Julian doesn't quite have the fluidity/fluency of guitarists like Abercrombie / Scofield / Metheny, but he also seems to have something that most other guitarists don't. He is such an all-rounder: you can hear classical guitar in there, and Indian music, jazz and country and folk (not really rock though). You can view lots of videos of him on Youtube and make your own mind up. That's what I did for a while, until it occurred to me to buy an album! And I'm glad I bought this one - immersing yourself in a cd by Julian is well worth it I think, if you're a fan of the guitar. One of the things I love about him is that he's so open-minded. He loves melodic traditional music, but he's also very open to the experimental / avant-garde as well. This doesn't mean he creates 'crossover' albums as such. His music seems grounded in the traditional, whilst keeping an ear open to all possibilities. It's as if he's finding it a fascinating journey, and he politely invites us to share in it. I'd really like to think in 10 or 20 years time he will have kept developing, and he'll be looked on as one of the great guitarists. A criticism though: you almost need a microscope to see the names of the other musicians on this album. Some pictures of them and their names written a bit larger would have been nice.

Ivation LED Lighted 2x Magnifier With Helping Hands - Clip-On & Freestanding Design - 2x Magnifier with 5x Magnifier Inset Lens - 2x 9" Adjustable Flexible Gooseneck 'Helping Hand' Clamps - Unique Multifunction Base for Freestanding Use or Clip-On Use on Tabletop, Desktop or Countertop - Battery Operated
Offered by Smart Shop UK

4.0 out of 5 stars This does seem a good product. I bought it as a present for ..., 29 May 2015
This does seem a good product. I bought it as a present for my wife for when she is drawing. The quality seems good, the clip is very strong and fits different surfaces. The lens seems quite good quality (a cover is included). The batteries seem to have lasted quite a while so far.

The one problem I would say is that the 'flexible gooseneck' is not quite long enough. My wife is using an A3 drawing board, and the lens doesn't quite extend to the middle of it, so she is always having to move the magnifier and the paper around so as not to strain her back and neck. A longer 'gooseneck' would have solved this problem and would have been worth paying extra for.

NSEN Replacement Ear Pad Cushion For BOSE QuietComfort 2 QC2 Headphone
NSEN Replacement Ear Pad Cushion For BOSE QuietComfort 2 QC2 Headphone
Offered by NSEN-UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Fit is not quite right, 29 May 2015
Hmmm - these look and feel very similar to the original Bose ear pad cushions. However, when you try to replace the cushions, the base is not quite the right size (perhaps just a fraction of a millimetre out). I had a very difficult job trying to click them into place, and on one of them part of the cushion came off its base and I had to superglue it back into place. Both cushions are now attached, but seem as if they have not quite 'seated' properly. And the bit that I glued is a bit wrinkled. I didn't feel confident about sending these back, as it was only after I had opened the pack and tried attaching them to the headphones that they became damaged. It's a 'toss up': you can pay £10 for these (inc p&p) and have something that is a bit sub-standard, or you can pay about £30 for the real Bose cushions, which fit perfectly (I've replaced them before). But as other people have pointed out, with the Bose cushions, after a while the surface peels off and you are left with 'black dandruff'. Either way, you feel a bit 'ripped off'. In case anyone is wondering, I've never felt perfectly satisfied with the Bose headphones. They don't really 'cancel' outside noise (as they claim), but just reduce it a bit. However, they do have very good sound quality as headphones, so I've stuck with them.

Ink Spots
Ink Spots
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Imitation, 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Ink Spots (Audio CD)
There is clearly some confusion here. One person has given this a great review, claiming it is a 'Naxos' CD and has 20 tracks. The CD I received is just called 'The Ink Spots', has 12 tracks, and at the time of writing has a similar cover to the one I'm typing next to! Except that it doesn't contain 'Whispering Grass'. The photos of the performers look similar though. The CD I've received appears to be on a label called 'Cedar' owned by a company called 'Going for a Song'. It is truly terrible and I'm just off now to throw it in the bin. I don't know who the performers are, but they are surely not any of the original Ink Spots. The recordings sound completely modern and not at all 'originals'. I think this group are some kind of 'tribute' or 'copycat' band, who perhaps play on cruise ships or in cabarets. There is no information about the performers, or when or where recorded. Presumably none of them wanted to own up! I bought this CD as a present for an elderly person I know, but decided not to give it. I could have sent it back I suppose, but for the price I can't be bothered. It just goes to show how you have to be careful when buying from Amazon - the pictures and reviews do not necessarily represent what is provided. I would emphatically far rather have a CD of the original recordings, albeit with hisses and scratches and rumbles, than this blemish-free recording of a bunch of imposters.

Goltzius And The Pelican Company [DVD]
Goltzius And The Pelican Company [DVD]
Dvd ~ F. Murray Abraham

4.0 out of 5 stars I almost didn't buy this - now I'm glad that I did., 9 Nov. 2014
I would disagree with the person who said that the film (whatever you think of it) loses impetus halfway through, and abandons the device of analysing the bible stories. If you are paying attention, you'll see that the story becomes increasingly complex and intriguing as the onlookers are either affected by or become embroiled in the 'on-stage' dramatisations. I would not want to spoil this for anyone by outlining the plot - suffice it to say that in the end, the Margrave is drawn into performing on stage himself, and as Goltzius puts it 'the whole thing was supposed to be a metaphor, but it turned into a bloody reality'. The ending is both tragic and optimistic. Ramsey Nasr's portrayal of Goltzius is witty and endearing. This isn't a film about the 16th Century - it's a film about now, and about the importance of freedom of speech and freedom of opinion in the digital age.
I haven't given the film 5 stars as for me it is not quite as good as some of Greenaway's (less self-conscious?) earlier films. It seems in this film that he's 'explaining himself' and summing up his career. But as he's in his 70s now and has been so often misunderstood I'll forgive him that! I enjoyed the film very much - most of all, I'm inspired by his determination to make films in the way that he wants to, rather than just knocking out something for easy commercial success.

Bosch Compact Allergy Bagless Vacuum Cleaner, 1.9 Litre, 1400 Watt
Bosch Compact Allergy Bagless Vacuum Cleaner, 1.9 Litre, 1400 Watt

2.0 out of 5 stars VERY DISAPPOINTED, 3 Oct. 2014
I am very disappointed with this product, and wouldn't recommend anyone should get one, or any other similar model by Bosch. For a start, it is much bigger than it looks in the picture. It's difficult to measure, but I make it 48cm long, 33cm wide, and 28cm high. Ordering a 'compact' cleaner we thought it would be one of the smaller variety.

Yes, it is quiet and has strong suction. But we've found it almost impossible to use. It comes with an 'adjustable floor tool', which is very large, heavy and cumbersome (e.g. it doesn't fit under our sofa like the floor tool on our old cleaner did). The floor tool just seems to 'stick' to the carpet (even on the lowest suction setting) and so it just moves the dirt around, rather than suck it up. I did try for a while making a forward or backward motion and then lifting the tool up for each stroke, but that gets very tiring and was not very effective. Also the floor tool does not 'click' onto the extendable pipe in any way, and kept falling off! I did try using the 'hard floor' setting for a while on carpet - this got slightly better results, but was useless because it kept automatically reverting to the carpet setting. So, for ordinary carpet cleaning, the adjustable floor tool is virtually useless. It seems to have been designed to act primarily as a 'silencer'. It keeps the sound very quiet, but that's no good if you can't vacuum properly.

The cleaner itself is large, heavy and bulky if you try vacuuming stairs, or around the bed in a small bedroom etc. The wheels stick out at the sides and tend to catch on corners.

The other attachments that come with the cleaner are almost useless as well. There is a crevice tool, but I rarely use those anyway. There is an 'upholstery tool', but again, it just 'sticks' to the upholstery, so it's very difficult to vacuum (e.g.) cushions. I really like those little round brushes you get with some cleaners, they are very handy for corners and upholstery, and allow a little air to suck in at the sides, so that the tool doesn't 'stick' to the upholstery. But these little brushes do not come supplied with this cleaner. You can order one separately, but to be honest they look to have very hard short bristles. So, this cleaner has also been no good for me for corners, crevices and upholstery, as well as larger areas of carpet. There is also nowhere to store the additional tools that are provided - on my old cleaner they used to slot very handily into the base of the cleaner.

We were going to return this, dissatisfied, but it is a lot of trouble to go to, and who knows, another new vacuum cleaner may have similar problems. It's also difficult to know if the cleaner is any good until you've tested it somewhat.

It would have been good if the tools from my old cleaner (Hitachi, lasted 20 years) fitted this cleaner but they don't. SO - what I did was find an old plastic vacuum cleaner pipe, hacksawed that into a couple of short pieces, and fashioned some 'connectors' to attach my old Hitachi floor tool and upholstery brush to this new Bosch cleaner. And guess what? This Bosch cleaner now works much better, with the Hitachi attachments. The Hitachi floor tool is more noisy, but it's flatter, lighter, and doesn't 'stick' to the carpet so you can make backwards and forwards motions that are continually sucking up the dirt. The bristles are just the right length to brush the carpet a little, whilst keeping it close enough to clean well. And I've been able to use the old Hitachi small circular upholstery brush now with this new cleaner, for getting into corners, vacuuming the cat's cushion, etc.

It's ridiculous that Bosch have put so much effort into designing a quiet and strong cleaner, which doesn't actually clean your house properly because of the poorly designed accessories that come with it. They've probably tested it in a lab, but not tested it for actually vacuuming a house (a real house like mine). It seems they're more bothered about marketing, than about the actual functionality/practicality of design. And it's also ridiculous that I had to go to so much trouble making adaptations to use Hitachi accessories with the Bosch cleaner. Yes this is a 'discontinued' product, but the replacement models look very similar (Bosch don't really supply very clear photos of the attachments, look at the photo here, they have hidden the floor tool behind the cleaner so that you can't see how cumbersome it is).

Every time I look at this cleaner now, I'll be thinking 'don't trust Bosch again'.

PS - It's taken me almost a whole day to try this vacuum out, clean the whole house, and make the adjustments for using the old Hitachi accessories so that I can get some vacuuming done. I don't know yet if any faults will develop in the long term. If they do I'll come back and update this review.

1byone Safety Driveway Patrol Infrared And Wireless Home Security Alert Alarm System Kit Color White, Classical Easy Alarms With LED Indicator Weatherproof, Protect Home Garden Garage Shed Business Warehouse Aircraft Hangar Secret Place Space And Anywhere That You Need, Protect Your Privacy, Type QH-0002
Offered by Digiteck Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Either too loud or too quiet, 10 Aug. 2014
Very frustrating. The product seems to work well, however - you only have two choices of volume for the alarm (either very quiet or very loud). The way we have this unit set up, I'm concerned that either I won't hear it going off in the night, or alternatively, if it goes off in the night on the 'High' setting, it could make me jump out of my skin just because a cat has triggered the sensor. I'd like it on a 'medium' setting - enough to wake you up and have a look out of the window, but not so loud as to nearly give you a heart attack. Why on earth could the manufacturers not have given the choice of a 'medium' setting? Or maybe just put a volume control (rheostat) on the side?

1byone Recordable Touch Control Wireless Doorbell Door Chime with 100 Meters Range, Perfect for Recording or Downloading Your Own Favorite Songs

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor sound quality, 8 Aug. 2014
I'm really quite disappointed with this, mainly because of the sound quality. I added some of my own MP3 sounds (which was the reason for buying this product) but the sound is really fuzzy and muffled. Playing the MP3s out loud on my mobile phone sounds a lot better! It was also very difficult to get into the push-button unit to insert the battery - so how difficult will that be once it is wall-mounted? I suppose I shouldn't have expected much - but there were a lot of favourable reviews on Amazon. Looking at the reviews again, I notice a lot of the features/specifications may have changed. I think this just goes to show, if you see a lot of good reviews on Amazon, you can't necessarily trust that information. This is really quite a cheap quality product; perhaps OK for a bit of a 'joke' but nothing more. I was looking forward to hearing my selected tunes ring when the doorbell was 'pushed' - but on hearing them they sound very disappointing.
PS - surely it would have been easy to have a volume control on the side, so you can select the volume that suits you? Also - the item has an input socket, for making the recordings, so why couldn't it have had an output socket? Then you could have chosen to extend to a much better quality loudspeaker.

Amphi, Radio Rondo
Amphi, Radio Rondo

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't like the sound quality of the recording unfortunately, 1 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Amphi, Radio Rondo (Audio CD)
I'm a fan of the artists on this CD - but I'd be interested to know if anyone else finds the sound quality of the CD too 'trebly'? It sounds as if it was recorded with the 'mid-range' set to the highest possible levels. I've tried adjusting EQ at home using various methods, but to no avail. The sound clips on this website sound exactly like the actual CD. I think it's spoilt the music.

It's the first 'Intakt' CD I've bought, so maybe it's a characteristic of the label?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2014 7:05 PM BST