Profile for Limebear > Reviews

Content by Limebear

Limebear "Rob" (Southampton UK)

Draper 89310 Sub Pump and Float 7 Lift, 230 Volt
Draper 89310 Sub Pump and Float 7 Lift, 230 Volt

5.0 out of 5 stars Good low-cost pump, hard to connect, 29 Jun 2009
This seems to be an excellent pump, and was the cheapest I could find. However if like me you are a gardener who is used to Hozelock and universal compatibility, this pump isn't compatible with anything in the known Hozelock universe. My solution was a piece of wastepipe with rubber ends from B&Q, and two jubilee clips. By the way the large orifice on the pump is 1.5"BSP, the middle of the adaptor is 1"BSP and the end of the adaptor is for a 19mm hose.
To be fair the pump isn't intended for connecting to an irrigation system as I have, it's intended for connecting to a fat (expensive) pipe for pumping out large quantities of water.
I've used mine to cheaply make an automated irrigation system that no-one seems to make, namely one that operates pumped from a water butt and is automatically timed. All of the off-the-shelf timed solutions work from mains water, and the Hozelock pump that is 'compatible' with watering systems has to be switched on and off manually so can't be timed.
I have a Draper pump in a water butt, an electronic timer with battery backup (7.95 from B&Q) in a weatherproof wall box, and a bunch of hose, sprayjets and a pressure dropper from Easywatering. The pump is just the job.
Another point to watch is that you can't just drop it into a water butt though. It will slide around so the water-level float may foul the side of the tank and not operate correcly. I screwed my pump to a large upturned tupperware box with spacers attached to keep it in the centre of the tank.

Scientific Calculator With 30KB Ram - Black
Scientific Calculator With 30KB Ram - Black
Offered by Oxford Educational Supplies Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant machine, 28 May 2009
At university over 25 years ago I had an HP41C which I though was superb, though there were a few things it wouldn't do, like hex and complex numbers. I love the HP RPN notation which is so intuitive and easy to use. When it was time to replace my current calc, I looked to see whether HP was still producing RPN calculators. The HP35S looks very similar to the HP41C and I wondered if it would live up to my high expectations.
It does!
It has none of the minor drawbacks of the older machine, and it does absolutely everthing (and more) that an engineer could want of a calculator (including hex and complex numbers.) Ergonomically it is spot on, the sloping keys are the same as they used to be. I read one review that complained about the keys - nonsense, they feel exactly the same as the old 41C and are just right.
I would not have any other calculator.