Profile for GavFearnley > Reviews

The Sewer Demon: The Roman Mystery Scrolls 1
by Caroline Lawrence
Price: 4.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Poo, pee and trumping!!, 22 Mar 2012
I read The Sewer Demon with my 6 yr old daughter, well infact she read it to me I just helped out with the big words and the explanation of the latin names and phrases. I was a bit worried that that she might struggle with the book but she didn't, the story rolls along at steady pace just perfect for ages 6 and above.

The story revolves around a young ex beggar boy named Threptus living in the Roman port of Ostia who helps out Floridius a down on his luck soothsayer. Threptus has a run in with some older boys and inadvertantly ends up in the sewer system underneath Ostia where he encounters all sorts potential hazards such as demons (or does he??)and at one point finds himself directly under the public latrines where he almost literally gets dumped on!! My daughter loved this part of the book and giggled all the way through and I must admit so did I!The story continues with Threptus and Floridius getting into more scrapes and solving mysteries along the way.

The humour through out the book is perfect for young children, lots of poo and pee and trumping incidents will keep the kids laughing along while at the same time there's plenty of interesting facts about how the ancient Romans lived, plus the added tension when the dreaded sewer demon finally makes an appearance makes this book an excellent introduction to ancient Rome for the younger reader.

The Sewer Demon reviewed by Isabel Age 6

The story is about a young boy called Threptus. Threptus gets bullied by 3 older boys, he goes into the sewer to try and get his mentors charms back. He ends up under the public toilets and he see's a man having a poo, it made me laugh. I learnt that the Romans used a sponge on a stick to wipe their bum and after they used to put it in vinegar.

I thought that it was really funny and interesting and sometimes a bit scary.

I loved this story and can't wait to read the next one.

Isabel 6