Profile for Andrew Lloyd Gordon > Reviews

Content by Andrew Lloyd G...

Andrew Lloyd Gordon "Digital Marketing Speaker, Trainer & Entrepreneur" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Best of Global Digital Marketing: The Storybook
The Best of Global Digital Marketing: The Storybook

5.0 out of 5 stars A Refreshing Perspective On Global Digital Marketing, 8 July 2015
When I first started to work in digital marketing, we used to talk a lot about the 'World Wide Web'. We're still using the world-wide-web (as in WWW.) of course. Yet, despite the fact that we have the world at our - literal - fingertips, it's surprising how insular we still are.

The clients and agencies I work with, here in the UK, tend to be obsessed with US and UK digital marketing campaigns. Now, the US and the UK are leading digital societies of course. Even so, it's myopic not to look further afield for great examples of what's possible with digital.

This is why I like this book so much. The authors have collected several, excellent, digital marketing case studies from around the world. They've managed to find examples from different industries too e.g. B2B, Automotive, Non-profit, Financial Services, Retail and Tourism. Combined with the global focus, this makes the book both an enjoyable read and useful.

The book examines each case study in depth. There's the background that explains the challenge the agency or organisation faced. Each chapter goes onto to describe the solution (the digital campaign) that was adopted with the Return On Investment (ROI) that was achieved. Expert opinion is then provided plus some extra takeaways.

This is an excellent resource for anyone working marketing/digital marketing. Whether you are client or agency side, you will find this book invaluable. It is definitely one for the bookshelf. Or Kindle!

Disclosure: I know, and have worked with, one of the authors (Mike Berry). He did not ask me to write this review. Nor did he give me any incentive to do so. Which is something I'll have to have word with him about ;-))

How to Be a Video Interview Pro: 25 Strategies to Get ATTENTION and Make Your YouTube, Livestream, Google Hangouts, Skype Interviews and Videos Look or Sound Like a Professional TV or Radio Show

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and entertaining introduction but somewhat light on detail, 1 Jun. 2015
There's a lot of great content and useful tips in this short guide to video interviews. Whilst some of it I knew, there was much too learn. And it's also useful to be reminded of the basics. If you're looking to either interview people or be interviewed online, this is a great starting point.

If I had a criticism, then I'd suggest that there's not always enough detail with some of the tips. You're going to have to go elsewhere - online probably - to find more info on details such as mics, cameras, lighting and so on (I suggest Wistia and their video training academy by the way). You may also find the vehicle of Mike 'chatting' to an imaginary dinosaur in throughout the book annoying. I didn't but I suspect some people won't appreciate this quirky style.

Overall then, a great starting point for your video interviewing success. You'll be a YouTube sensation in no time!

Profit Hacking: The Web Entrepreneur's 3 Part Formula For Maximizing Success
Profit Hacking: The Web Entrepreneur's 3 Part Formula For Maximizing Success

2.0 out of 5 stars Starts OK but incomplete and unoriginal, 3 Jan. 2015
After reading the other reviews, I thought this book would give some useful new insights. Indeed, the first chapter or so did make me think...a little. Hence the 2 stars.

However, the book quickly loses steam. There is increasingly less useful content and, by the end, there's virtually nothing of value.

The other frustrating thing is that many of the links within the ebook either don't work nor do they point to any valuable resources. Indeed, the author's website(s) are incomplete and broken.

Overall, very disappointing. Save your money and don't buy this.

Offline Advertising -  How To Do It Correctly (Advertising And Marketing For The Busy Entrepreneur Book 1)
Offline Advertising - How To Do It Correctly (Advertising And Marketing For The Busy Entrepreneur Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid advice for offline advertising success, 25 Nov. 2013
This very short book is written in a chatty, down to earth style. It contains lots of clear, simple and not-so-obvious advertising advice

If you are considering spending any money on offline advertising, then get this guide and you'll not only save your advertising money but you'll be more effective.

If I was to complain, then I'd say it repeats itself several times. Topics are mentioned once and then covered again later on in almost the same way.

The punctuation and grammar are also a bit flaky. But this is not such a big deal as the book is so useful.

The other point I'd make is that there is no reference (that I could find) to the online world. This is something I found odd these days, even in a book about offline advertising.

Nevertheless, I got real value from this book.

Recommended.

Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing and Advertising

2.0 out of 5 stars Short, useful overview - light on detail,repetitive, 4 Nov. 2013
This is one of those (very short) books that, if you don't know much about the subject is a good intro. But if you do, you'll be asking, '"Where's the beef?"

Ryan is a convert to Growth Hacking and explains how it challenges conventional marketing. He briefly introduces the concept and then breaks it down into its component stages.

Again, if you haven't read any of the books in the Lean Startup movement (search for Lean Startup and dig around the tons of resources now online) you might appreciate this chatty and light read.

Unfortunately for me, I wanted a few more tricks, tips and ideas. I wanted more of a 'How To' guide than a 'this is what Growth Hacking means' ebook.

I admit, Ryan doesn't claim that this book is an instruction guide.

Nevertheless, his examples are very obvious and known to many in the marketing/digital marketing world e.g. how Hotmail gained traction by encouraging Word of Mouth.

In conclusion, I'd give this book 3.5 stars if I could.

Buy it if you need the intro level stuff. It will get you on your way. But, even though it's a cheap and quick read, don't expect a huge amount of value in return.

How to Write 50 Pages Per Day - For How-To Book Authors (How to Become a Bestseller)

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time and not really a 'book', 18 Oct. 2013
This was a complete and utter disappointment. I strongly recommend you don't buy this 'book'.

In my work, I either create written content for the Web or help others to do so. I am ,therefore, always looking for ways to improve my techniques. And, because I need to create lots of content, I am always trying to speed up. Hence the reason why I fell hook, line and sinker for this thing!

This 'book' is incredibly short. It's simply a series of very brief 'chapters' (they're not even worthy of that description) with very repetitive advice - use templates - and uninspiring information.

What's worse, is that the book...no, pamphlet...has a number of typos and spelling mistakes in it!

So, does it help me write 50 pages per day? No.

Did it give me any information I didn't already have? No.

Do I think you should buy it? No.

Rexel Crystalfile Extra Desk Organiser Silver
Rexel Crystalfile Extra Desk Organiser Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and does exactly what we needed, 25 Feb. 2013
Short Review:

Solid, ready-constructed small fling system. If you're short of space and need to store papers and documents, then this is for you. Recommended.

Longer Review:

This longer review won't be much longer than my shorter review - because there's little to add :)

We needed extra room in our office and our big, old filing cabinet was taking up too much space. In addition, a lot of documents are now sent electronically (email receipts and PDF invoices etc). Many of our own documents are now stored in 'the cloud' (Dropbox, Google Doc and so on) so the need for a filing cabinet has decreased over the years.

Frustratingly, there are still organisations we deal with who insist on sending paper documents! Thus, we still have a need for a 'paper document storage system'.

After a quick search on Amazon, a check of the positive reviews (like this one I guess) we ordered this item in a click (Amazon's One Click system is a great but expensive way to shop!)

The product arrived today. It was ready assembled and ready to use out of the box. It dropped into the intended space and 'does the job'. The product is sturdy and well made. Our remaining files have fitted into it with no problems. And, because there are now far fewer files, it's easier than ever to find what we need.

Now, if we could stop receiving paper documents completely, this item could be re-sold on eBay!

Recommendation: Buy it.

The Sketchnote Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Visual Notetaking
The Sketchnote Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Visual Notetaking
by Mike Rohde

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb guide to visual note taking - not just for people who can already draw, 16 Feb. 2013
Brief Review:

If you want a simple, helpful and supportive introduction into visual note-taking then buy this book. Highly recommended.

Longer Review:

This is a lovely book. I enjoyed reading it through first and then going back to it again and again to try out the exercises.

Like a lot of people, I've always been a bit of a 'doodler'. Like a lot of people, I got in trouble at school for doodling when I should have been studying!

It's funny how those type of memories stay with you.

My continued interest in sketching and mind-mapping, meant that when I saw this book mentioned on a blog I was reading, I headed over to Amazon to pick it up. I'm glad I did.

The book is titled, 'The Sketchnote Handbook' because it's meant for people who take notes during conferences, seminars, webinars and so on. Whilst it's an awesome guide for those type of events, the book provides plenty of insights and inspiration for those of us who just like to doodle!

Saying that, if you are someone who needs to collect and collate information from events, or if you want to better engage with study materials, then visual notetaking (combining written notes with sketches, icons and diagrams) really helps. Indeed, the sketchnote process makes the whole note-taking thing more enjoyable and rewarding. Which means you'll take more notes and learn from them better too!

The book provides a step-by-step process of how to create your own sketchnotes. It gives you plenty of exercises to try out and simple ways to draw everyday things. I especially liked the part that helps you draw convincing faces! The book even tells you which types of pens and notebooks to use!

What's great about the advice in the book is that you can apply it straight away and see an immediate improvement in the sketches you make.

Since reading the book, I've been applying these techniques on the whiteboards and flipcharts I use when training people (in digital marketing). People now say things like, 'Wow! You're so good at drawing!'.

I just smile and nod appreciatively :)

Finally, I know some people don't feel that they can draw. Well, this book helps you overcome that anxiety. Although it won't turn you into a great artist, this book will certainly help you become a great 'sketchist'?!

Recommended!

Webs of Influence: The Psychology of Online Persuasion
Webs of Influence: The Psychology of Online Persuasion

2.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to psychology principles. Weak on application and case studies, 7 Jan. 2013
Short Review:

A broad and useful introduction to several areas of psychology. Lively, engaging writing style. An easy-read.

Weak at proving that the ideas offered (the book is full of 'Make This Work For You' suggestions) would made a difference i.e. a lack of evidence.

Recommendation:

If you don't know much about psychology, web marketing and web design principles, then it's a good intro. Unfortunately - in my humble opinion - I don't think it's as revolutionary as some of the other reviews imply.

Longer Review:

I love psychology. I have a degree in it, post-grad qualifications and more psychology books than I have items of clothing.

OK. The bit about my clothing is an exaggeration. But my love of psychology and all things, 'influence and persuasion' especially, isn't. I also work in digital marketing and have done so for about 100 years (or so it feels).

You can imagine my excitement - glee in fact - at reading the synopsis of 'Webs of Influence'. I couldn't think of a better combination of two of my fave subjects - psychology and the InterWeb. Ace!

As soon as I got the book, I read it eagerly from cover to cover. And I like it. Sort of. Ish.

The Good

It's got lots of solid, psychology information in it. There's stuff in there that I did know, knew a little about and stuff I'd not come across before. Believe me, I could read this type of material again and again. Any book that covers this ground is a winner with me :)

It's just when the book tries to tie the psychology into web design and online marketing that I feel it book doesn't quite work. Or, perhaps more accurately, the premise of the book doesn't work. Because I have to say that this is a lovely book to read. The writing is chatty, simple and without too much jargon. At 234 pages, it won't take you long to read it. There's also a useful Notes section with references to other follow-up material.

The Not So Good

For me, a lot of the ideas presented in the book are either flimsy, don't necessarily link to the psychology being described or are rather banal pieces of marketing advice that can be found elsewhere. For example (edited quote from the book):

"Stand out from the crowd...a smart solution is to add real value to your products and services (offer something your competitors don't) and reflect this in the price." Really? Never thought of that.

I know, I know. I shouldn't mock.

I'm not the one who's made the huge effort of writing a book (something I admire in anyone). It's just that I wanted this to be a niche book on the Psychology of Online Persuasion and not one with average marketing advice.

The other thing I wanted to see in the book - longed to see in fact - were 'Before and After' case studies.

My argument is, if these techniques are so powerful, it would be great to test them on a real website. It's not that I don't think that many, if not all, of the ideas in the book aren't decent. It's just that I've learned from painful experience that in digital marketing never to rely upon gut instinct alone. Especially when you've got some amazing testing tools available.

For example, I would have like to have seen case studies where A/B or MVT tests were run to determine whether, for example,

"...requiring customers to 'tweet this link' to unlock the product they're wishing to download' (p191)

...either improved sign-ups and conversions or increased the website visitor bounce rate? As anyone in digital marketing knows, this would be a pretty simple test to set up and would add weight to the arguments made.

OK - with so many ideas presented, not all of them could be tested. It's just that in digital you really can 'put your money where your mouth is'.

Final Thought and Recommendation:

Buy the book. It's a decent read. Just don't expect that without applying some serious and time consuming research you'll necessarily revolutionise your online marketing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2013 12:58 PM GMT

The Art of Influencing and Selling (Guru in a Bottle)
The Art of Influencing and Selling (Guru in a Bottle)

2.0 out of 5 stars Average advice. Little original. Useful if no marketing knowledge, 6 Jan. 2013
Brief Review:

This is an OK-ish introduction to sales and marketing. Although I think the title is misleading.

If you have little or no knowledge of sales and marketing then it might be valuable. If you have any experience in these areas then you won't gain a great deal.

Longer Review:

I bought this book because I'm interested (obsessed more like) with all things 'influence and persuasion. I'm a big fan of Cialdini's 'The Science of Influence' stuff for example. Hence, when I stumbled across this book, I thought it might be on topic. Which it isn't. Or rather, it very briefly talks about influencing early on in the book and then now and again throughout. But not in any depth.

As I always do, I researched what I could about the book, checked the 'Look Inside Feature' on Amazon and tried to find the author online. I was persuaded, ironically, by the Contents page more than anything else i.e. the topics looked interesting and relevant.

My problem with the book

The content is weak. It's repetitive and, I feel, is a rag-bag of different subjects all muddled together. None of which is dealt with in any substantial or useful way. Whilst I recognise it's an overview book I just didn't get much from these sections.

The other annoyance I have is that it's full of references to other books and authors. This is, of course, nothing unusual. However, with this book, it reads as though the author is simply summarising the work of others and adding little additional or unique material.

Finally, I simply ended up scanning quickly through this book, desperately trying to find a page or two of value. But, alas, no.

My suggestion to you is, if you're looking for an OK introduction to sales and marketing then you might find this helpful. A better bet would be to print out that Table of Contents and go find better books in each area. And if I could give an ebook to a charity shop, then that's what I'd do with this one.

Disappointed :(