Profile for Richard Griffiths > Reviews

Content by Richard Griffiths

Richard Griffiths "SoulFireMage" (Bristol UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Wanderer's Escape (Wanderer's Odyssey Book 1)
Wanderer's Escape (Wanderer's Odyssey Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun little adventure, appeals to my younger self, 30 Sep 2014
As a youngster I'd have written stuff like this, though perhaps with less fluency.

I love the idea of sentient spaceships and have a story of my own that I may develop onto kindle one day.

The story moves fast, there's a sense that the detail is missing or perhaps just not sufficient. Sequences happen without sufficient depth at times, a cause of the pace.

An all powerful ship turned off one reviewer, and given the pace of the story, it does seem that way at times. Unexplained weakness at certain times confused me a bit too.

I've read plenty of sci fi, some of it has a lot of meat and depth-from Asimov,Clark, Bradbury and others of the old guard to Dan Simmons, Neil Stephenson, Neil Asher and Iain Banks (sadly missed now). This type of meat and sophistication isn't present here, as is the case with many new kindle authors. On the other hand, the writing itself is pretty good - some books I've had on kindle have irritating prose and a shallow story at the same time. Here the prose is pleasant and enjoyable, I feel that the author is a work in progress and he wrote something I enjoyed the idea of.

I hope to see depth develop in this and his other stories over time, yet I admit to buying the next book just the same.

To refine my critical points, I offer this to the author-avoiding spoilers as much as I can:

I was 7 when I relayed a fantasy about falling onto a living spaceship-I felt a flashback to this imagining during the first three pages. On reflection I felt I should have a reason to care about Jess and Matt, walked a little in their boots, felt some of their life before they move to the next act. A background of the world, the reason for the tasks they were doing painted in, perhaps an enemy to dislike.

One other thing, such a powerful ship has reasons for life, and probably powerful enemies: I'd like to know more of her, or him, since she is the vehicle of the story :)

How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method (Advanced Fiction Writing Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars How not what, Shown not Told, A lovely lively learning experience, well worth the time invested many times over!, 11 Sep 2014
Bought an hour ago, just finished it and feel its an ideal way to get me writing again.

Fluent, engaging, entertaining and direct-Randy does a slick job of getting his model of writing fiction into your brain with a charming parable of fairy tale proportions.

Look here if your stuck at The, or tired of endless outlines or can't gush organically from seat of the pants writing.
He's not selling you the style guide of grammar and vocabulary here, nor is he instructing deeply on what character and scenes work. Instead, he thoughtfully provokes you into asking the questions of yourself that will elicit your own creativity in a natural way. Most of us can answer direct questions that ask us to solve a specific problem-it's something most of us are better at than we realise. This method taps into that, though he doesn't state this specifically.

Instead of telling us theory about why or how it works, his parable of Goldilocks the wannabe writer, takes us on a fast yet thorough journey through his ten steps that may just make writing a novel far easier for many writers than ever before.

His tale lights up one way of How to go about it and he honestly admits, this fluent, clever technique is merely another paradigm that not all want or need. It's an entertaining and informative read, I suspect many, many writers will benefit from this simple tale in the future.

Thanks Randy!

Note, another reviewer mentions the recursive teaching already-spot on!

Silence in Solitude - Book II of the Roads of Heaven (The Roads of Heaven Trilogy 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this twice as a kid, 21 Aug 2014
Read it again as a grown up kid, it's still as fluent and original as it was then. I've read a lot since, many good, many excellent, some less so; this is in the excellent category.

Salveo Clickable Reusable Pocket Heat Pad (pack of 2)
Salveo Clickable Reusable Pocket Heat Pad (pack of 2)
Offered by Salveo Wellness

5.0 out of 5 stars They're not large enough for knees but great hand or elbow warmers, 13 Aug 2014
Surprisingly effective and curious bags of jell. Relying on an odd principle you shock the jel with a metal clicker inside causing them to crystallise and release heat. A repeatable process that hasn't worn out in mine yet. They're not large enough for knees but great hand or elbow warmers.

Effective C# (covers C# 4.0): 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your C# (Effective Software Development)
by Bill Wagner

5.0 out of 5 stars ... time I open this book I pick out something useful. I used it when swatting for a C# ..., 13 Aug 2014
Every time I open this book I pick out something useful. I used it when swatting for a C# test last year and found it very handy. Clearly written.

C.K Magma Tool Roll
C.K Magma Tool Roll

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, compact, sturdy, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: C.K Magma Tool Roll (DIY & Tools)
I carry carving knives, strop, tin snips, needle nose pliers, mini heat gun, silky saw, four chisels, cabinet scraper, leather man, chisel sharpening guide and a few other goodies in mine. It works very well and can be adjusted if the roll is fatter than the straps allow by default. The only caution is to ensure tools don't slip out the end by packing in such a way that the top flap can be folded over before rolling up.

I use it a lot, there are no signs of wear and tear yet.

Draper Expert 36326 10-Piece Diamond Needle File Set
Draper Expert 36326 10-Piece Diamond Needle File Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and well made, I've used these extensively on ..., 13 Aug 2014
Solid and well made, I've used these extensively on stainless steel yet they show no sign of wear. I'd prefer a smaller leather roll for them because I carry tools about but they come in a half decent case as it is.

Jaybird Freedom Bluetooth Headphones
Jaybird Freedom Bluetooth Headphones

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, Annoying adapter!, 13 Aug 2014
Sound quality, battery life and bluetooth reception are good. They're lightweight and I rely on them daily for my training.

However I've wanted to yell at Jaybird for deciding to annoy users with a special adapter for no reason at all. I swap between two different boats regularly as I work on one, play on the other. This means packing and unpacking constantly. This dumb cable is the number one item to lose.

Secondly the in ear buds themselves detach and get lost very easily.

Both points have wasted quite a bit of my time regularly since I bought them, so minus a star for each issue.

Imp Forsaken
Imp Forsaken

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful series, addictive as Hell, 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: Imp Forsaken (Kindle Edition)
Hah, beautiful series, addictive as Hell. Thank you, I'm waiting, tormented for more please!

The Deaths of Tao (The Lives of Tao Book 2)
The Deaths of Tao (The Lives of Tao Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars No super heroes here, 8 Aug 2014
Deserves five stars Wes, original notion, well executed and without rose tinted spectacles. No super heroes here, everyone is fallible and bleeds. Enough action and thought to keep me going, so when are the rest coming out?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14