Profile for Richard Griffiths > Reviews

Content by Richard Griffiths

Richard Griffiths "SoulFireMage" (Bristol UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Team Knight Rider Season 1
Team Knight Rider Season 1
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars love talking cars-that was the only good thing, 20 May 2015
Loved knight rider as a kid, so biased positively towards that somewhat cheesy original and was always a fan of Kitt. The three cars here are the best thing in the show, by miles. Of course it's a show for ten years old and under but still it didn't need to be quite so naff. Shame really.

Angles of Attack (Frontlines Book 3)
Angles of Attack (Frontlines Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging series, now let's see some more., 20 May 2015
I've enjoyed the first person writing style, the flow and tone of Mark's writing in this series. Now I want to know what the Lankies really are, why are they so mercilessly indifferent and near impossible to kill (at least in their ships) and finally I want to see the tiny. tiny spark of hope coaxed into a flame of fightback - I refer here to relativistic artillery such as the ship flown at .2c into a seed ship. Will humanity advance in anyway to defeat this enemy? will we communicate with it? or something else? Don't milk it too much :P.

Enjoyable series all round, thank you!

The Rebirths of Tao (Tao Series Book 3)
The Rebirths of Tao (Tao Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping in one sitting, again!, 16 May 2015
Well paced, finished in one marathon session, wicked work as usual. Action packed and original, highly recommended.

If you want your heroes to be a bit limitless and all powerful, forget it. If you want realistic characters that have to fight, think and really push against the odds, then start with these books.
He wrote with his soul I felt. It shows. Chu loves his work and I think if you like a good story, good characters and a fine writing style, you'll love his work too.

Dragon of the Stars
Dragon of the Stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as strong as the CassaStar series., 16 May 2015
I wanted to rate this higher, however I didn't feel the depth that I felt with Alex's CassaStar books. I love the notions and the ship, I've a weakness for living spaceships and the like anyway. I will still be buying further books from you Alex as I most definitely feel that your CassaStar series touched me-that takes talent and dedication. This one feels a bit rushed, perhaps indulgent almost - I can empathise, I'm trying to complete tales of my own and find indulgence hard to avoid (resulting in some terrible writing on my part!)

Balance (The Divine Series Book 1)
Balance (The Divine Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly excellent work -ALL of his books have been, 16 May 2015
In just three weeks, in a busy, busy life, I've read everything M.R.Forbes has written bar one, that I'm reading now. Quite possibly one of the best writers I've encountered this year and the last.

If you like Debra Dunbar, you'll love this series (and vice versa). However, her work is more romantic and action; here we have action and character with twisty turny hard to predict characters first and only a small amount of romance here and there.

The Diucrucis is a marvellous notion and the reader may well find themselves questioning the nature and role of God in the world thus described.
Who is truly evil becomes an ever increasing puzzle over the entire series of these books and you may be surprised at who you root for at various times.

Expect treachery everywhere but look out for unexpected redemption.

Great writing, original archetype weaving, clever writer.

Thank you!

BREVILLE Stainless Steel Jug Illum Kettle, Red
BREVILLE Stainless Steel Jug Illum Kettle, Red
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket

5.0 out of 5 stars Quicker, Quieter, Classier, 31 Jan. 2015
There are so many red kettles out there, all with reasonable reviews, so we took a chance on this one, which at the time we bought it, had no reviews. What a find compared to our previous kettles! It's quicker, quieter, classier by far. It takes up less room in the kitchen and cuts out within seconds of boiling, with an attractive red backlight. Would definitely recommend without reservation.

Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist
Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring as hell, seriously., 8 Nov. 2014
Terribly boring.

I don't know what world the other reviewers inhabit but two evenings in a row, after renting this, I fell asleep watching it.

If you are a hard core Street fighter fan and just want history, then it's probably not too bad.

If you rented it looking for a good old fashioned action flick based on the game with plenty of fighting, this isn't it. Really, there's just about no fights. Yep, I clicked looking for semi mindless violence of the well orchestrated kind and found little.

Should I therefore aware more stars?

No, really - even learning about Akuma fizzled because you do not get to see a good old fashioned boss fight. Hell, no fight. Really, skip it if you want some action and the stuff folks click on street fighter for.

The Van Damme movie btw is a three star one - they actually fight, loads.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2015 8:46 AM GMT

Wanderer's Escape (Wanderer's Odyssey Book 1)
Wanderer's Escape (Wanderer's Odyssey Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun little adventure, appeals to my younger self, 30 Sept. 2014
As a youngster I'd have written stuff like this, though perhaps with less fluency.

I love the idea of sentient spaceships and have a story of my own that I may develop onto kindle one day.

The story moves fast, there's a sense that the detail is missing or perhaps just not sufficient. Sequences happen without sufficient depth at times, a cause of the pace.

An all powerful ship turned off one reviewer, and given the pace of the story, it does seem that way at times. Unexplained weakness at certain times confused me a bit too.

I've read plenty of sci fi, some of it has a lot of meat and depth-from Asimov,Clark, Bradbury and others of the old guard to Dan Simmons, Neil Stephenson, Neil Asher and Iain Banks (sadly missed now). This type of meat and sophistication isn't present here, as is the case with many new kindle authors. On the other hand, the writing itself is pretty good - some books I've had on kindle have irritating prose and a shallow story at the same time. Here the prose is pleasant and enjoyable, I feel that the author is a work in progress and he wrote something I enjoyed the idea of.

I hope to see depth develop in this and his other stories over time, yet I admit to buying the next book just the same.

To refine my critical points, I offer this to the author-avoiding spoilers as much as I can:

I was 7 when I relayed a fantasy about falling onto a living spaceship-I felt a flashback to this imagining during the first three pages. On reflection I felt I should have a reason to care about Jess and Matt, walked a little in their boots, felt some of their life before they move to the next act. A background of the world, the reason for the tasks they were doing painted in, perhaps an enemy to dislike.

One other thing, such a powerful ship has reasons for life, and probably powerful enemies: I'd like to know more of her, or him, since she is the vehicle of the story :)

How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method (Advanced Fiction Writing Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars How not what, Shown not Told, A lovely lively learning experience, well worth the time invested many times over!, 11 Sept. 2014
Bought an hour ago, just finished it and feel its an ideal way to get me writing again.

Fluent, engaging, entertaining and direct-Randy does a slick job of getting his model of writing fiction into your brain with a charming parable of fairy tale proportions.

Look here if your stuck at The, or tired of endless outlines or can't gush organically from seat of the pants writing.
He's not selling you the style guide of grammar and vocabulary here, nor is he instructing deeply on what character and scenes work. Instead, he thoughtfully provokes you into asking the questions of yourself that will elicit your own creativity in a natural way. Most of us can answer direct questions that ask us to solve a specific problem-it's something most of us are better at than we realise. This method taps into that, though he doesn't state this specifically.

Instead of telling us theory about why or how it works, his parable of Goldilocks the wannabe writer, takes us on a fast yet thorough journey through his ten steps that may just make writing a novel far easier for many writers than ever before.

His tale lights up one way of How to go about it and he honestly admits, this fluent, clever technique is merely another paradigm that not all want or need. It's an entertaining and informative read, I suspect many, many writers will benefit from this simple tale in the future.

Thanks Randy!

Note, another reviewer mentions the recursive teaching already-spot on!

Silence in Solitude - Book II of the Roads of Heaven (The Roads of Heaven Trilogy 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this twice as a kid, 21 Aug. 2014
Read it again as a grown up kid, it's still as fluent and original as it was then. I've read a lot since, many good, many excellent, some less so; this is in the excellent category.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14