Profile for Gilraen > Reviews

The Hobbit: Graphic Novel
The Hobbit: Graphic Novel
by J. R. R. Tolkien

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with this purchase, 15 Jun 2014
I bought this for my grandson as he watched the first Hobbit film with me and loved it. I wanted to get a children's version of the book (yes, I know it's a children's story anyway, but I wanted something more modern with lots of pictures as he is only 7) and went for this. While it is too advanced for him in some ways, it has been well received. His dad is also a Hobbit/LOTR fan and has enjoyed reading this with him and they have both enjoyed the illustrations.

Live Catch Humane Trip Trap Mouse Trap
Live Catch Humane Trip Trap Mouse Trap
Offered by Stewart and Gibson Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Too kind, 15 Jun 2014
This was not at all effective. It was a little bit difficult to set it up right as it seemed quite sensitive and kept shutting unexpectedly. However, the mouse seemed to have no problem with it. As I think another reviewer has said, it was in danger of becoming a mouse feeder rather than a trap so I removed it and called the council instead (brilliant service).

Cath Kidston Blossom Hand Lotion 300ml
Cath Kidston Blossom Hand Lotion 300ml
Offered by Cosmetics Now-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous scent, 15 Jun 2014
I love the smell and the feel of it. Not too sticky, but not watery. The scent cheers me up on miserable days.

VonShef - Stainless Steel Double Insulated Gravy Boat / Sauce Jug - with Hinged Lid & 500ml Capacity
Offered by Designer Habitat

1.0 out of 5 stars Ineffective and crudely finished, 15 Jun 2014
The stainless steel section is fine, but does not keep the heat in. As soon as the gravy/sauce is poured in, the outside feels hot, so it isn't going to retain the heat for very long. The top section is plastic sprayed silver and the finish is very poor quality. It has rough edges, the joins beneath the silver show through and the first gravy boat I received wasn't properly sprayed so there was a small section showing though a brownish shade. This was replaced by the supplier, but the silver finish on the second one, while complete, was very rough and crude. This was when I discovered that it didn't retain heat. I wish I had gone for a refund rather than a replacement. Nice styling, but that's about it. It's only got a star because the review page requires a star rating. Left to me, it would have got no stars at all.

The Lords of the North (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 3)
The Lords of the North (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 3)
by Bernard Cornwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good Bernard Cornwell, 6 Nov 2013
As for the other books in this series so far, I love it. Bernard Cornwell writes well and the characters are engaging.

50L Plastic Swing Bin - Cream - Made in UK
50L Plastic Swing Bin - Cream - Made in UK
Offered by NOVELTY STORE

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably priced bin., 6 Nov 2013
What can I say - it's a bin and it works. I am having some difficulty finding the right size bags for it though and I still can't get my son to put his rubbish into it rather than on the floor.

Death of Kings (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 6)
Death of Kings (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 6)
by Bernard Cornwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and believable, 6 Nov 2013
I don't really like reviewing books as I think it is very much a matter of personal taste. If you like Bernard Cornwell and are following this series, you will really like this. I love historical novels because they make past times and people more understandable - though their customs, beliefs and daily lives are very different from ours, they are still people with very similar concerns and frustrations to ours, caught up in the politics of their time. I really enjoy this series and will probably treat myself to the next one for Christmas.

4 Way 25M Extension Cable Reel, 13Amp 230V-240V
4 Way 25M Extension Cable Reel, 13Amp 230V-240V
Offered by Top Value Prices

4.0 out of 5 stars it does what it says on the tin., 6 Nov 2013
This is a good, slightly longer length cable reel. The casing seems quite sturdy and it has 4 socket points. It seems good value for money - my DIY brother was quite impressed with the price. It only remains to be seen whether it has homing abilities or not. My previous cable reels (about 4) have all gone walk-about and never returned. This one does have my name on it in indelible pen in case of disagreements.

10 x CLEAR GOLF BALL GLOBE 60w WATT SMALL BAYONET CAP // SBC // B15 LAMP LIGHT BULBS
Offered by Goods Wholesale Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Bright, cheap, but ridiculously short-lived., 6 Nov 2013
The bulbs arrived quickly and gave a good light - I have been struggling for ages with inadequate eco lights and these were very bright. They are also very cheap, so I thought I had got a bargain. I put three of them in the lounge fitting on 30th September 13 and was very pleased. However one of them blew on 23rd October and another on the 25th. I have replaced them with two more on the 25th October and am waiting to see if this was a fluke or not. I will not be returning them; they were so cheap it isn't worth the hassle, but if the others only last the same length of time I will certainly not be buying them again.
Update on the 18th November 13 - I replaced 2 more bulbs which had blown last week - I do not recommend these.

Big Book of Science Things to Make and Do (Usborne Activities)
Big Book of Science Things to Make and Do (Usborne Activities)
by Rebecca Gilpin

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun for dark, rainy days (and better ones)., 6 Nov 2013
When I first got this book, I chose a few things to do and got all the materials ready, and my two grandchildren, aged 7 and 4, (and my son) enjoyed making things with me. Now the 7 year old is into it every time he comes, making something himself, and has a list of things he wants to do next time. He reads out the instructions to me on the tricky bits, but often can manage to do it all by himself. All the things that you make "do" something and I think this is why I love it. Even though the 4 year old can't yet make these things alone, he can help and play with them afterwards. They are simple, but fun - the 4 year old particularly loves the "helicopters" and spends a lot of energy rushing up the stairs to drop them down again. The illustrations and instructions are clear and the items you need for each project are listed at the beginning. Most of the materials needed are things you will have around the house or are easily obtained. It's a great help to adults who are not naturally "crafty"and most of the ideas don't take too long for those with a short attention span. It also leads to quite a lot of "how" and "why" questions, which is stretching my brain as well as the kids'. I like it so much that I am thinking of giving a copy to a couple of my nieces for Christmas as they have children of a similar age and I am sure they will love it. My only disappointment is that it is at a higher price than when I bought it, but I still think it is great value for money.

Page: 1 | 2