Profile for Geek Writer > Reviews

Content by Geek Writer

Geek Writer "Emma" (Manchester, UK)

The Gentle Birth Method: The Month-by-month Jeyarani Way Programme
The Gentle Birth Method: The Month-by-month Jeyarani Way Programme
by Dr. Gowri Motha

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 8 Sept. 2013
While pregnant I've really only read two books specifically about preparation for birth. One was written by Ina May and was very good, and the second is this one. In short, this book was not for me. It reads like a daily to-do (and to-not-do) list that I think I would be driving myself mad with had I decided to try and follow it. If you're a little neurotic and like to be told what to do, this book is for you. If you're not, I wouldn't bother with it.

Saying that, there were some good takeaways:
- Walk for 20 mins every day.
- Practice prenatal yoga.
- Cut out (or down on) wheat. (I've tried to be more conscious of the wheat products I eat and have found it beneficial for my struggling digestive system. Though I lasted just one day trying to cut them out.)

Actually, the most useful information in the book is available for free on the author's website, so unless you really want a step by step, week by week itinerary to guide you through your entire pregnancy, I'd just get the (mostly common sense) diet and exercise info from the website and skip the book.

PILLOW PLEASURE (TM) BIG C U MATERNITY SUPPORT PILLOW WITH COTTON CASE
PILLOW PLEASURE (TM) BIG C U MATERNITY SUPPORT PILLOW WITH COTTON CASE

5.0 out of 5 stars So comfy, and only £30!, 3 July 2013
I've only had it for two days, but so far it's amazing! I was really struggling to get to sleep on my side (face down, like Superman, was my pre-pregnancy default) and waking up for the loo meant not getting to sleep *again*, so I was spending quite a lot of the night awake and getting frustrated by my inability to get comfy or sleep.

In the three days I've had this I've had two of the best nights' sleep in months and have no problems dropping back off after a visit to the loo. It's so lovely to snuggle into (I'm quite small so it practically goes all the way around me) with the added bonus that there's no room for our cats to come and spread out either side of me, pinning me down - which I used to love, but since pregnancy has been driving me mad. It's also really supportive for sitting up to read or lying back to relax without lying flat. Plus this morning I woke up with my OH cuddling "his" side of it. If that keeps up we'll have to start sleeping in shifts.

Some comments on here meant I was worried there wouldn't be room in our double bed (IKEA double size), but it's fine. £30 is a really small price to pay for a great nights' sleep.

BiC For Her Medium Ballpoint Pen - Black, Box of 12
BiC For Her Medium Ballpoint Pen - Black, Box of 12

1.0 out of 5 stars Too little too late, 4 Sept. 2012
Until BIC launched BIC for Her I had always been happy writing with what I now realise were pens for men and should never have been in my hands. Now I feel violated and am overcome by a sense of regret for what might have been. Perhaps if I had known that I should not be writing with these men-pens I would be married by now, with two adorable kids, a pretty cottage in the countryside with roses around the door. Why did no-one stop me? Perhaps my preserves would set, my cross-stitch would interest me, my watercolors flow onto the page. Instead I grew up wanting a university degree, a well-paid job, my own bank account, and am now considered too mad and opinionated to be taken to parties.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2014 7:50 PM GMT

Canon MP510 Single Ink All-in-One Photo Printer with 4.7cm Colour LCD Screen
Canon MP510 Single Ink All-in-One Photo Printer with 4.7cm Colour LCD Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup and use, 28 Nov. 2006
Having to replace my old printer asap on a restricted budget the Canon MP510 provided the all-in-one functionality I was after at a relatively low price. The 5-colour ink system makes it very economical compared to the 3-colour Epson model I had before. The prints are crisp and clear, the scanner is high enough resolution for my needs, and the copy facility is a bonus, saving me many trips to the local copy shop. I was amazed at just how easy the printer was to set up, with the quick start guide walking me through the setup so that it took only about 15 minutes from the time I opened the box to printing my first sheet. This is a great machine for someone like me looking for a general purpose all-in-one at an affordable price.

FrameMaker 7.0 Upgrade Win
FrameMaker 7.0 Upgrade Win

3.0 out of 5 stars Ask yourself whether you 'need' it, 20 Dec. 2002
Having moved from Frame 6.0 to 7.0 several months ago, I can say that unless you're making the change in order to get the most out of the improved XML capabilities, stick with Frame 6.0. We implemented the basic upgrade several months ago and the differences I've come across so far are either cosmetic (orange not brown icons for files) or negative (for example, in Frame 7.0 you can only open individual files within a book by double-clicking with the mouse, whereas in Frame 6 the files can be opened by hitting the return key). If you're in 'must have' mode it and have money to burn, or you're itching to get your hands on the improved XML capabilities, go for it. Otherwise hang on to your cash and treat yourself to something that you really need.

Computing Concepts with Java 2 Essentials (2nd Edition)
Computing Concepts with Java 2 Essentials (2nd Edition)
by Cay S. Horstmann

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended for self-study, 12 Mar. 2001
I would happily have given this book 5 stars; if answers to the exercises were provided / available. As they are not, I can only recommend this book to those who are involved in a computer science type course with tutor support.
For the new, self-study programmer this book is better than most, but lets itself down through by paranoid refusal to provide answers to exercises: once you're stuck on a question, you stay stuck until you've figured it out, or you move on, and this can be quite discouraging when you're trying to learn a new skill in your own time and want to do this to the best of your ability.