Profile for CatherineB > Reviews

Pro walker Padded Training Lead 216cm Lead Innovations Black 3/4 Inch
Pro walker Padded Training Lead 216cm Lead Innovations Black 3/4 Inch
Offered by Posh Pets

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful lead, 24 April 2015
Really useful. I walk my dog with a halti as he pulls badly on the lead, I am always worried that the halti isn't strong enough and that it might break or be bitten through, but with this lead I attach one end to the halti and the other to his collar so that he's secure. It's comfortable to hold. It's quite versatile, so you can use it as a single long lead, a lead for 2 dogs or you could attach it to your belt. It's well made and quite comfortable to hold.

100ml Organic Avocado Oil - 100% Pure Carrier Oil
100ml Organic Avocado Oil - 100% Pure Carrier Oil
Offered by Naissance

5.0 out of 5 stars Great moisturiser for older skin, 24 April 2015
Great stuff! I used this as a night time moisturiser. I have added a few drops of essential oils to make it smell luxurious. It is a much better moisturiser than any expensive creams I have used. I am middle aged and spend a lot of time outdoors in all weathers so I tend to get dry patches on my skin. This oil deals with the dryness really well but without making my skin greasy and spotty. A little goes a very long way - I use about a quarter of a teaspoon on my face and neck at night so the bottle lasts ages. I also use it on any dry areas occasionally like elbows & hands. A brilliant discovery and an amazingly cheap but very effective moisturiser, especially for 40+ dryer skin.

Nikwax Tx. Direct Wash In Wash In Waterproofer - 1lt
Nikwax Tx. Direct Wash In Wash In Waterproofer - 1lt
Offered by AB hats-accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, 22 Feb. 2015
Works really well - has re-waterproofed my well-used jacket and over-trousers and have had no leakeages so far.

1 Pair Of Nordvek Genuine Lambswool Insoles - Adults / Childrens Sizes Available - Adult - 9 UK (43 EU)
Offered by Oakgrain Leather

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 22 Feb. 2015
Ok for what it is, but be aware that this is wool stuck to a synthetic insole, NOT a sheepskin insole which would keep you much warmer and last much longer!

iGadgitz Black Silicone Skin Case Cover with Tyre Tread Design for Samsung Galaxy S3 III Mini I8190 Android Smartphone Mobile Phone + Screen Protector
Offered by iGadgitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it!, 22 Feb. 2015
Looks good, nice quality and does a good job protecting my phone.

Philip's Guide to Butterflies of Britain and Ireland
Philip's Guide to Butterflies of Britain and Ireland
by Jeremy Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, highly recommended., 22 Feb. 2015
Great book! It starts with a general info section on butterflies, habitats, spotting tips, etc. Next there are several pages devoted to a quick reference field guide, beautifully illustrated with all of the native butterflies, including underside of wings. This section is handily coloured at the edge so you can find it quickly. It then has a double page on each native butterfly with a photograph and lots of information on lifecycle, habitat, feeding plants, distribution, etc, plus a small illustration of a caterpillar on the relevant plant. Unfortunately the caterpillar illustrations are not detailed and clear enough - my only (little) criticism of the book. Finally there are a few pages on migrants seen in Britain and the major day-flying moths. With all that info it still manages to be a nice small size for carrying. Highly recommended.

Geemarc CL1100 Hard of Hearing, Hearing Assistance, Amplified Corded Telephone - White
Offered by Co-operative Independent Living

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought for person with dementia, 22 Feb. 2015
Buttons nice and large & easy to see. I bought it for my mother who has dementia and struggles with dialling long sequences of numbers so I mainly wanted a phone where the stored numbers are easy to use.
She isn't hard of hearing so didn't need the volume features, but the ringer is certainly very loud!
With the stored numbers it looks from the picture as there is a removable plastic cover & you write the numbers on the paper underneath this. This isn't the case - the plastic is not removable and you need to write the numbers on the plastic either in pencil (not so easy to read) or permanent marker pen - clear but writing cannot then be altered. For this reason I've marked it down as I think it would have been relatively easy to have a removable cover with paper underneath and thus give more options to change the numbers stored.
Ideally I would have preferred a phone with more than 12 storable numbers but had to compromise as this one seemed the easiest for my mother to use. It is easy to use but it was hard to just choose 12 numbers. The stored numbers section could also be clearer - the buttons are smaller and fiddiler than the number buttons and it's slightly complicated for my mother as the button is next to the name - that might sound silly but she tends to press the name and not the button.
I think there's a need for a company which can produce a phone with capacity for 20+ stored numbers with large clear buttons - perhaps the name could be written on the buttons themselves for maximum clarity. There are so many people with dementia, sight problems & other conditions who might find this really helpful.
So the 3 stars is because it's not the ideal design for someone with dementia but, given that it is the best option I could find, I would recommend it, at least for someone with early stage dementia.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2015 9:00 AM GMT

Bond How to do 11+ Verbal Reasoning New Edition
Bond How to do 11+ Verbal Reasoning New Edition
by Alison Primrose

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 22 Feb. 2015
Currently working through this a few pages at a time with my son. Explains how to do the different types of question and helps identify strengths and weaknesses.

New Premier Rounded Oval Design Non Slip Suction Feet Pvc Bathroom Bath Tub Mat
New Premier Rounded Oval Design Non Slip Suction Feet Pvc Bathroom Bath Tub Mat
Offered by My1stWish

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mat, slightly bumpy underfoot, 22 Feb. 2015
I like this mat - it is well made and looks as good as a shower mat can look! It's a good length and is easy to clean with a brush. It is a bit bumpy - fine with me but I know some people with foot problems don't cope well with bumps underfoot so in that case I'd avoid this mat, but otherwise I'd recommend it.

The complete wildlife pond: Wildlife Ponds. How to make, maintain and enjoy a wildlife pond. 2014 edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and enthusiastic book, 13 Nov. 2014
I found this book useful and interesting to read. It's written by someone who runs a company creating wildlife ponds, so he has the practical know-how needed. As well as practical info it also includes info on what species you might attract to your pond and what plants to choose.

I like that he takes a low tech approach, so a lot of the time he is suggesting the cheaper, easier way of doing things and telling you what you won't need (pumps, filters, lots of plants, etc). His approach is to look at what nature does naturally and use that to work out what will best encourage local wildlife to your pond. If, like me, you have a small garden and not much room for a pond, this book is good as the author includes ideas for even the tiniest area.

I enjoyed the author's enthusiasm for his subject - his passion for wildlife comes across very strongly and is a pleasure to read about, and he is also very encouraging to readers to have a go at pond building.

It's a short book but no worse for that - it's a quick and easy read. Its main shortcoming is that (presumably because it was self-published) it's not been well edited or proof-read, so the text rambles a bit in places, and there are quite a few grammar or spelling mistakes. Having said that, it's a low-priced book and includes good info so is good value for money, and I would recommend it because of the author's knowledge and enthusiasm.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7