Profile for CatherineB > Reviews

Content by CatherineB

CatherineB

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
4 PACK AARU Toothbrush heads for Philips Sonicare ProResults Replacement Fully Compatible With The Following Philips Electric ToothBrush Models: DiamondClean, FlexCare, FlexCare Platinum, FlexCare(+), HealthyWhite, 2 Series, EasyClean and PowerUp
Offered by mobizone

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 5 Feb. 2016
These seem to be very good and I can't tell the difference from the branded and much more expensive ones we have previously bought. They arrived very quickly too.

Coastlines: The Story of Our Shore
Coastlines: The Story of Our Shore
by Patrick Barkham

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit patchy!, 5 Feb. 2016
Having read Patrick's Barkham's previous two books, I was expecting this to be a lot more about the wildlife of Britain's coast, whereas wildlife is often not mentioned at all. The book is more about the relationship (or sometimes lack of it) between people and the coast so it's interest depends on how interesting you find those people. I think this is why I found it quite patchy. There were bits I found fascinating, such as the story of Brownsea Island's various owners and inhabitants. Others I found very dull, for example I found it hard to take much interest in the lives and loves of the aristocratic family who owned Plas Newydd on the Menai Strait, and the endless section on John Fowles felt a bit like reading a teenage lit student's diary of a holiday in Lyme.

It also felt very bitty: the writing flits back and forth between different parts of the country, and even a single chapter covers two or three areas with only a tenuous connection. It's divided into thematic sections exploring different ways in which humans connect with the coast - war, passion, work, faith, etc - and the author then explores different areas of coast that fit with these themes. I felt there was just too much covered and would probably have preferred a book looking at either a smaller geographical area or fewer themes.

The parts I enjoyed the most were the ones where Patrick Barkham engages with current residents of the different areas, describing 'ordinary' people's relationship with their coast. Winkling interesting stories out of everyday life and empathising with a wide range of personalities is something he excels at. So for example he spends a lot of time discussing the military history of Orford Ness, but where it really came alive for me was in the brief interviews with previous employees, rangers and locals.

There have been a few reviews criticising this book for it's omission of Scotland. Barkham is very clear that this book is about the 'Neptune Coast', the stretches owned by the National Trust, which does not cover Scotland (which has its own National Trust for Scotland). His explanation of this can be read in the introduction which is on the 'see inside' feature. He doesn't claim that it's a comprehensive guide to the coast of the British Isles, so it seems very unfair to criticise him for not writing such a book.

I feel a bit mean giving this just 3 stars. I think it's very well written and I loved some sections, but for me it was too inconsistent and I just didn't enjoy reading it as much as I'd expected. I still look forward to reading Patrick Barkham's future books, but I hope he chooses a narrower subject next time.

Scholl Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi Extra Coarse Power Hard Skin Remover
Scholl Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi Extra Coarse Power Hard Skin Remover

4.0 out of 5 stars Review comparing this to the Ped Egg, 5 Feb. 2016
I have had hard skin on my feet for decades & have tried dozens of different products. Up to now the best thing I've found was the Ped Egg, so I am comparing the Scholl with that.

Where the Scholl is excellent is on the areas which the Ped Egg is the wrong shape to get to. I have strips of hard skin in a V shape under the balls of my feet and haven't previously found anything that helps with that as the Ped Egg is not narrow enough to be able to manoeuvre there. I've done two sessions with the Scholl and it is much better and I can no longer feel the hard skin patches when I'm standing. I think it will take another couple of sessions to get rid of the hard skin properly, so I am very pleased with how well it has worked here.

On areas like heels and the side of my big toe I think the Ped Egg does better. The grating actions gets rid of more hard skin than the coarse head on the Scholl, and the Scholl takes longer to do a less good job. But I think if your hard skin isn't too bad or you are filing it regularly so it doesn't build up much then the Scholl would be sufficient.

It says on the instructions that it shouldn't be used for more than 3-4 seconds on one area! I can't think the person who wrote that has ever seen hard skin and if I'd followed that instruction then I'd be giving it 1 star. But, having used it for as long as I needed to - often a few minutes on one area, it works well. It seems very safe & I have caught it on my knuckles a couple times without any harm done. I haven't used it enough for the batteries to run out so can't say how well they last, I've probably used it for around half an hour in total so far (not all at once). I've also tried the regular version and found this extra course version much better and it still leaves the skin feeling smooth.

It is easier to use than a manual file because you don't have to exert any pressure, so for anyone who finds it difficult to reach your feet and use a manual file effectively, this would be a good option because you just need to hold it in the right place & the handle makes it a bit easier to reach your feet.

In summary, I don't think this is more effective overall than a manual foot file but it does reach some areas more easily, and in general it is easier to use. I think it's good value and would recommend it.

Staedtler Noris school pencil, pack 12
Staedtler Noris school pencil, pack 12
Offered by AbbeyShake

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality pencils, 4 Jan. 2016
The best pencils you can get - they last ages and don't shatter when they are sharpened.

Large 3D Advent Calendar 24 doors Advent Calendar Theatre style 1955 3 d freestanding 480 x 215 x 295 - traditional antique German Design
Offered by Delicious Designs

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice calendar. My only reservation would be that, 4 Jan. 2016
A nice calendar. My only reservation would be that, if you are buying it for a child, the pictures in the windows are a bit dull and not very Christmassy, so maybe not as much fun for a younger child as other calendars, but it's a pretty scene and good value.

Spares2go GN Type Hoover Bag for Miele S2110 S2111 S8330 S8340 Cat & Dog Vacuum Cleaners (Pack of 20 Bags)
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as Miele bags, 4 Jan. 2016
These seem to work just as well as the Miele branded bags and for a much lower price. I am very pleased with them.

3D Victorian House Advent Calendar
3D Victorian House Advent Calendar
Offered by Delicious Designs

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 4 Jan. 2016
A lovely, detailed and large advent calendar. One of the best 3D calendar's I've seen.

Bond 11+: English: Comprehension Papers: 10-11+ years
Bond 11+: English: Comprehension Papers: 10-11+ years
by MIchellejoy Hughes

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for 11+, 13 Nov. 2015
Useful for 11 plus preparation. The questions ask for full answers not multi-choice. As we were preparing fo the CEM multi-choice test I didn't used these as tests but worked through them verbally with my son, which was really helpful in identifying the areas of comprehension he was having difficulties with. I found there's a shortage of good comprehension books for 11+ as most of them use the same (out of copyright) classic texts - Little Women, Alice in Wonderland, etc, etc. This book was great in that respect as it has a good range of different texts including non-fiction and poetry.

Synonyms and Antonyms: Vocabulary for the C.E.M. Style 11 Plus
Synonyms and Antonyms: Vocabulary for the C.E.M. Style 11 Plus
by Christine R Draper

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for 11 plus preparation, 13 Nov. 2015
If your child is doing the 11+ they will need to know a lot of synonyms and antonyms. We found this book really useful for learning and practising these. We only bought it about 5 or 6 weeks before the exam but wish I'd started using it in Year 5. Very useful.

Record Breaking Comprehension Purple Book (Guinness Record Breaking Comp)
Record Breaking Comprehension Purple Book (Guinness Record Breaking Comp)
by Guinness World Records

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, 13 Nov. 2015
Quite a fun way to help your child with comprehension.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10