Profile for D. Bruce > Reviews

Out Among The Stars
Out Among The Stars
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Cash., 30 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Out Among The Stars (Audio CD)
Listened to this on a recommendation from my son (boy was he brought up well...) and it's as good as everyone else says it is. We were lucky enough to visit Nashville a couple of years ago and I love listening to all the Tennessee references on this album. John Cash was possibly the coolest dude to make music and only he could have kept an album like this secret until after his passing. It knocks all the other posthumous albums into a cocked hat - or should I say Stetson. Magic stuff..and for those interested I can thoroughly recommend a trip to both Grand Ol Opreys - the original and modern version are both brilliant and unique.

Now That's What I Call Relaxing Classical
Now That's What I Call Relaxing Classical
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic FM without the annoying adverts.., 6 Jan. 2014
If you like Classic Fm - which I do - you will love this; it's a good and varied selection of relaxing tunes and is ideal irregardless of musical sophistication; everybody will recognise at least some of these tunes and being able to name them is really not important (OK I can name Clare De Lune, but that's about it). 4 discs makes it good value and, of course, no adverts (a couple of John Suchet comments thrown in would have made it almost perfect).

Here's To The Good Times
Here's To The Good Times

5.0 out of 5 stars This will make you smile, 14 April 2013
When is this going to be released in the UK? It's music to make you smile and goodness knows we need a bit of that. Wife and I were lucky enough to do a mini road trip to the deep south of the USA in March 2013 and whilst there we visited the Grand Ol' Opry; not particularly into country music but amazing how good it sounds when you are actually there (and we've listened to loads since the trip) - one of the acts on the show (which was a fantastic experience) was a young duo that the younger sections of the audience went crazy for; they played 3 songs including 'Cruise' and 'Get your shine on' and they lit the place up. Back at the hotel we Googled them and discovered that they are the latest rising stars of country music and we determined to download any album they might have out so we ended up with 'Here's to the Good Times' and what a slice of feelgood music it is - yes it's country but also rocky and rappy, produced by the same person who produced Nickelback and is a good summertime soundtrack. All the tracks are excellent and name check lots of Americana (cars,booze and places) in a Beach Boys kind of way. Next time it's raining, grey and your creeping through traffic on the M25 play this album and I promise you will be cruisin' Route 66 in an open top Ford Mustang (or some such), the sun will be shining and you will be 20 years old again.....and not on the way to/from work haha. Enjoy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2013 2:38 PM BST

Jake Bugg
Jake Bugg
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought I'd heard it all....., 21 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Jake Bugg (Audio CD)
48 years old and thought I'd heard it all until I walked through HMV and they were playing what I later knew to be 'two fingers' - liked it so much I wanted to ask them to play it again but left it until I got home and my daughter had Spotify playing and she asked me how old I thought the singer was - well he sounded like Bob Dylan but held a better note so I suggested 30's - turned out to be another track from Jake Bugg's debut album and, wow, what a revelation; obviously very derivative (as everything is when you think about it) but it turns out he's 18 and from a Nottingham council estate (apparently) and manages to sound like a mix of Dylan, Noel Gallagher, Simon Garfunkel, Lonnie Donegan and even a little bit of Johnny Cash.... writes his own songs....and every one of them is a killer....simple tales beautifully and clearly told with old school musical backdrops (and I mean old school - late 50's and 60's) - buy this, turn the volume up loud, sit back and smile - music lives and not with Simon Cowell, thank God. Well done lad - just keep your feet on the ground and remember those 2 fingers when the devil/devils come calling....
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2014 2:06 PM BST

Planet 51 [Blu-ray]
Planet 51 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Jorge Blanco

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film, 2 April 2010
This review is from: Planet 51 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
First class animation, entertaining story, lots of nice 'sci-fi movie' references (especially ET & Star Wars), good music and it's set in a 'alien' version of 1950's America - what's not to like. As a 40-something year old male I wasn't expecting much from this film but it really is very good and certainly not merely a 'kids' film (the various references to old movies and a few grown up jokes kept this relative oldie entertained). Perhaps it's not quite as 'cool' as Shrek! but in the privacy of my own front room (or the dark of the cinema!) who cares about that. If you are looking for a bit of escapism done in a style that would have been truly sci-fi when I was a kid (especially in Blu-Ray) then this is well worth a look.

Coles Corner
Coles Corner

5.0 out of 5 stars lyrics and melody, 24 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Coles Corner (Audio CD)
I bought this album somewhat belatedly after hearing 'hotel room' on the Wogan show - it was just so nice to discover a new song with melody and evoking lyrics (and the slide guitar sounds lovely too). Did'nt really know what to expect from the rest of the album but its just really lovely - mellow and nostalgic - a little downbeat perhaps but its perfect when you are just kicking back and contemplating life and its ebbs and flows - this guy really wears his influences on his sleeve - early and late Elvis, Roy Orbison, Dean Martin (Elvis' favorite singer!) and in particular that late 50's sound when country/blues was just becoming rock and roll. He has one of those voices that reminds you of many other artists (even Morrissey in places) and you can actually hear the lyrics - bloody miracle nowadays! (yes I'm 42!). This album contains songs that set scenes rather than bash you about the head - recommended.

Console Bundle (Inc: PSP Value Pack, Virtua Tennis World Tour, Spiderman 2) (PSP)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant games! brilliant machine! brilliant offer!, 2 Feb. 2006
Hi this is a brilliant deal because amazon sell this separatly for same price so you are getting 2 good games with it. Firstly PSP IS amazing. the screen is so smooth and plasma - like. The analog stick really does make the gameplay so much easier and the menu is so high quality. Only criticism is that PSP Is extremly fragile so i would get protective case. Firsly virtua tennis have amazing graphics and the gameplay is brilliant
x = normal return
o = slice return/ drop shot
Serving
back side buttons = toss ball up
hold down back side buttons= power of serve
Also loads of players from men and women tour.Loads of courts of different types from all over world. Finally great career mode.
Finally spiderman has good graphics and good gameplay although it is a bit short.

Back to Bedlam
Back to Bedlam
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars my kids (and me) are sooo spoilt, 6 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Back to Bedlam (Audio CD)
for many years now I've felt sorry for my teenage daughters - they have had to grow up with 'pop idol' and 's-club' as the soundtrack to their young lives and very little music to really touch the soul......well thats all changed now and how; the music business has really turned itself around recently and they have finally persuaded me to listen to some of the new stuff - ie 'back to bedlam' - and bloody hell music never sounded so good did it - at 40 years of age I can honestly say this is the most beautiful album I've ever listened to - good simple soul affecting stuff - every track is marvellous (ignore the picky comments about 'goodbye my lover' - it's heart wrenching and touching with lyrics suited to any age group)and it's impossible to pick a fovourite - we are all spoilt by this album and if in any doubt - stop listening to the voices (except mine) and BUY IT

Swing When You're Winning
Swing When You're Winning
Offered by streetsahead

5.0 out of 5 stars Last of the great showmen?, 24 Nov. 2001
Having watched the 'Albert' show this became a must have CD; although generally ctitical of cover versions this has been done with such panache that its quite irresistable and soul lifting. Every song will make your face smile and your toes tap (difficult to choose a favourite but 'Mr Bojangles' is excellent and quite affecting). Once again Mr. Williams shows himself to be a supreme showman, surely all too rare in this day and age of conformity and 'career' pop/rock stars. As a bonus my teenage daughter now has a taste for swing and jazz and might even buy herself a real Frank Sinatra album - a job well done Robbie Williams!