Profile for Kathy Lang > Reviews

Content by Kathy Lang

Kathy Lang (Cornwall, U.K.)

Hard Crystal Clear Case for iPod Classic 80/120GB/160GB
Hard Crystal Clear Case for iPod Classic 80/120GB/160GB
Offered by Digibuys

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work in docking-station. Otherwise OK if you never need to take it off again, 4 Aug. 2012
Do not buy if you use your iPod in a docking station! I bought this case for an iPod that is used both with earphones and with external speakers in a docking station. I fitted my iPod into the case reasonably easily, but once in, the iPod would no longer fir in the docking station. I then set about removing the case... Three broken fingernails later, I tried - carefully - first a small srewdriver as a lever in the only possible place, the gap where the PC connection cable fits, and succeeded only in bending the iPod case so that the connector has not quite the space above the plug that it had before. Fortunately the iPod will still fit into the docking station, and the cable into the connector, but it was a scary moment! I got the case off in the end by cutting it with small scissors inserted into the space made by the screwdriver. So if you need to take the case on and off regularly, as in my environment, this case is definitely not recommended.

Netgear DG834GT 108Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 switch

5.0 out of 5 stars Disconnection is probably NOT down to the router!, 14 April 2007
We have had this model for 15 months, and it's in use at least 12 hours each day in our work-from-home office. It has never dropped the connection - not once. And it was recommended to us by a friend whose business it is. So those who report constant connection-dropping may need to look elsewhere for the reason?

Your Body's Many Cries for Water: A Revolutionary Natural Way to Prevent Illness and Restore Good Health
by F. Batmanghelidj

4.0 out of 5 stars Water, water everywhere - but do we drink enough?, 9 Nov. 2005
In the west, most people drink little or no water, and often do drink lots of dehydrating liquids such as coffee or alcoholic drinks. The health pundits tell you to drink more without being very clear on why. And if you've ever tried to lose weight, you'll almost certainly have been urged to drink lots of water - as my mother used cynically to say, ‘to fill you up’.
But is there more to it than that? Dr Batmanghelidj thinks there iis. I found this book by accident when I was trying to find out just WHY water is supposed to be good for you, and I was riveted from the first page. It's easy to be sceptical of anyone so enthusiastic, but, if Dr Batmanghelidjhe is right, then far too many people are taking medication for problems such as high blood pressure and raised cholesterol, when all they really need to do is to drink a lot more water.
I don't suffer from either of those conditions myself, thankfully, but since I started taking the book's advice and drinking at least two litres of plain water each day, I've noticed a huge improvement in my energy levels. It's often hard to keep to this regime when I'm away from home, and I really notice the difference – even when I'm on holiday, I get fatigued much more easily when I drink less water.
My one criticism of this book is that there is not enough independent confirmation of the many fascinating anecdotes. I guess the idea of water being a cure-all is too dangerous for the pharmaceutical companies' profits and too naive for most doctors!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2014 5:41 PM BST

Roxio Easy CD & DVD
Roxio Easy CD & DVD

1.0 out of 5 stars An ex-user writes..., 8 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Roxio Easy CD & DVD (CD-ROM)
(Please note: the star rating relates to an earlier version.)
I used earlier versions of Easy CD Creator that came free with PCs, and had trouble especially with recognition of recorders and with long filenames. I read all your reviews of the latest edition to help me decide whether to upgrade Nero or go back to Easy. The reviews vary so much - from 5 stars to `don't buy whatever you do' - that they don't really help! As someone who's manned help lines for years, I suspect that the only possible explanation for the variability must be in the devices attached to reviewers' PCs - Easy must work a treat with some recorders and not with others. (Driver incompatibilities are a technical support person's nightmare!) But of course there is no means of telling, before you buy, whether you will be one of the lucky ones. So I shall upgrade Nero and keep my fingers crossed.

Flying Finish
Flying Finish
by Dick Francis

5.0 out of 5 stars From a flying start to a breathtaking finish, 6 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Flying Finish (Paperback)
This great novel can be read as a straightforward thriller with plenty of excitement, an unusual hero, a really unpleasant and thoroughly believable villain, and a finish of rare suspense. The writing is taught, economical and draws you into the story so that you feel completely involved with it.
But two elements make it much more than just a thriller. The love story running through all the blood and thunder is among the most touching I've ever read. And, as in all Dick Francis' books, the underlying theme is the triumph of the human spirit over evil and disaster, written without schmulz or overpainting. I've read all his thrillers more than once, and this is my top favourite.

Streets Of Laredo
Streets Of Laredo
by Larry Mcmurtry

3.0 out of 5 stars Sequels don't always live up to the original, 30 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Streets Of Laredo (Paperback)
Having very much enjoyed Lonesome Dove, McMurtry's classic Pulitzer-Prize winning epic about the American West, I was looking forward to finding out how the story continued. The adventure is well described and the characters, especially the new ones like Brookshire, the accountant pitched by his irascible boss into the very wild no-man's-land of the Texan Mexican border, are as ever excellent. But the weaknesses of Lonesome Dove are here, too, especially the apparent inability of most of the characters to change or to learn from experience. And the greatest turnoff of all was here in a far worse form: the emphasis on mindless, hideous cruelty, including, this time, sadistic treatment of children and animals - the stuff of nightmare to the extent that I could not read this book again.

Theirs Was the Kingdom (The Swann Family Saga: Volume 2)
Theirs Was the Kingdom (The Swann Family Saga: Volume 2)
by R. F. Delderfield

5.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing saga of Victorian Britain, 15 Sept. 2001
Theirs Was the Kingdom is the second in a trilogy about people, events and the life and times of Victorian Britain. It's an old friend of mine: I've read the trilogy three or four times, and find it a great holiday read - it's too absorbing to risk having around when work is pressing. Delderfield uses the fortunes of the Swann family to portray Victorian society as Britain develops from a small but energetic nation to the head of the greatest empire of modern times. But Delderfield was a man of his times too, and, although by trade a journalist, he loves the stately prose of a more leisured age than ours. So it's not for the concentration-challenged; but if you appreciate good writing and an absorbing story, you'll value every page.