Profile for Rebecca Short > Reviews

Rebecca Short

Timberland 63672 Mount Holly, Women's Boots - Tan, 38 EU
Timberland 63672 Mount Holly, Women's Boots - Tan, 38 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect boot!, 9 May 2014
I needed a good sturdy allrounder boot and this is just the pair!

I spend a lot of time out walking in the countryside, up the yard, mucking out, wading in mud and water and this boot has lived up to it. Totally waterproof and warm. Incredibly comfortable with lovely soft supple leather. Could not be happier.

I am a size 5 and these are the perfect fit. Not too tight and not too roomy. Can wear thermal socks or thin socks or indeed go sockless! Fabulous boots. Can't see me ever taking them off.

Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't usually write reviews but I felt compelled to..., 9 May 2014
I am not really one for writing reviews but I feel I have to when it comes to the Kindle Paperwhite.

What a gadget!

I used to own a Kobo (I know I shouldn't mention that on Amazon right?) and it died not long after getting it. So I deliberated for a long time about whether I should get another Kobo or change over to a Kindle. I asked a lot of people and the resounding answer was the same...get a Kindle.

So then came the quandary of which one? I read a lot of reviews and spoke to a lot of Kindle owners and it came down to two. The Kindle Fire or the Kindle Paperwhite. Based on the fact that I am easily distracted I decided to go for the Kindle Paperwhite. The thought of having emails and notifications popping up on the Kindle Fire whilst I was trying to read would prove too much of a distraction for me. I have also heard that the screen glare on the Kindle Fire can be quite bad when reading outside so that was another reason for choosing the Paperwhite. I like to read outside, on holiday and on public transport so screen glare could not be an issue.

It arrived yesterday and I have not been able to put it down! The reading quality is immense. The text is so crisp and clear even when sat outside in the bright sunshine and night time reading is a joy due to the backlight feature. If you want a straightforward reading device with no distractions and a good screen to read from then this is the Kindle for you. It also has a wireless feature which means that I can download books anywhere that I can connect to wireless and I don't have to plug it into my laptop (take that Kobo!). Turning the pages are seamless and there are many great features such as dictionary, character reference and book marks that make this device a true force to be reckoned with.

All in all I'd give it 10 out of 10 (and that is saying something coming from a technophobe).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2014 12:13 PM BST

The Safe Word (The Eleanor Raven Series Book 1)
The Safe Word (The Eleanor Raven Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have read in a long time!, 9 May 2014
I initially brought this book (paper copy) as a present for a family member who is a big crime fiction fan. I read the first page, with the intention of then wrapping it up and giving it to them, but got hooked and couldn't put it down! I have recently purchased this book for my kindle as my paper copy has been read so much it is literally battered to death!

The Safe Word will have you gripped right from the first page with its riveting narrative and ever-so-human characters (you will literally feel as if you know them by the end). It's great to have such a strong female lead like Eleanor in a world where male characters usually dominate the thriller/crime genre.

An amazing debut novel by an incredibly talented writer. I cannot wait to catch up with Eleanor again in the future.

Definitely in my top 5 books! Highly recommend!