Profile for Roger J. Pettitt > Reviews

Content by Roger J. Pettitt

Roger J. Pettitt (Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Story of a New Name : My Brilliant Friend Book 2 (Neapolitan Novels)
The Story of a New Name : My Brilliant Friend Book 2 (Neapolitan Novels)
by Elena Ferrante

5.0 out of 5 stars The saga continues, 21 July 2015
Very enjoyable second novel in the Neopolitan series. Some people may flinch at some of the brutality towards the women in these novels but they were, and in some cases still are part of some people's lives. I am familiar with many locations in which these novels are set and am a self confessed Italiphobe so maybe this enhances my enjoyment. I was a little perplexed wit some of the time scales of events towards the end of the novel and one of the settings for one of the scenes was a little clichéd. Still, and enjoyable novel with part 3 waiting to be read.

Something More Than Free
Something More Than Free

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb singer/songwriter, 21 July 2015
Bought this after thoroughly enjoying his previous effort "Southeastern ". This is quality Americana with Isbell in superb form writing and singing. Strange thing is I Dont really enjoy him when he fronts the 400 Unit but maybe I should go back and have another try. My ambition now is to see him live.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2015 9:20 PM BST

Dark Eyes Limited Edition Digipak
Dark Eyes Limited Edition Digipak
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Guess the Influence, 21 July 2015
Have not read other reviews so may be repeating what others have said here. Bought this after listening to a few tracks following an Amazon recommendation. While listening to this CD you could play a game of "Guess the Influences". There are some obvious ones here including Radiohead, Supertramp, Sparks, The Beatles ( Lennon) etc. Standout track is the opener but it is a quality well produced listen from first to last.

Sennheiser PX100 Earpads
Sennheiser PX100 Earpads
Offered by Analogue Seduction

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits the bill., 3 July 2015
As described, perfect fit.

Banana Boat Ultra Defense Sheer Protect Advanced UVA/UVB Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 236 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 28 Jun. 2015
I use this as I am allergic to many other sun creams. First started using while in the UAE. It does the job.

Chasing Someday
Chasing Someday
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock on....., 21 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Chasing Someday (Audio CD)
My third dip into Drew Holcomb after purchasing and enjoying the later recordings of "Medicine" and "Goodlight". This slightly earlier CD find the band in a slightly more country/Rock radio friendly mood with shades of Lady Antebellum at times. Ellie Holcombs voice is more forward here than on the other recordings And although I prefer the newer music but this is still a great band with original songs and recommended.

Head over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy
Head over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy
by Chris Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for lovers of Italiana., 21 Jun. 2015
Bought this as my holiday read for a recent trip to Puglia, Italy. By coincidence I found myself driving through Port Andrano where much of the book was written. I am annoyed at myself for not making the short detour inland to the village of Andrano where much of the action takes place. Enjoyed the book immensely especially as I visited many of the locations mentioned but to be honest the book is a good read for anyone interested in La Dolce Vita. I can not only recommend the book but also the area of Puglia which is a beautiful part of Italy.

Strange Trails
Strange Trails

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised., 5 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Strange Trails (Audio CD)
After reading a good review of this CD for some reason I purchased the earlier release of "Lonesome Dreams". After thoroughly enjoying "Dreams" I listened to a few samples from "Strange Tales" and was not sure but finally decided to take the plunge. What a pleasant surprise. Slightly different feel with plenty of reverb and twangy guitars making a great listen.

Harlequin Dream
Harlequin Dream

5.0 out of 5 stars Just good music., 25 May 2015
This review is from: Harlequin Dream (Audio CD)
Unfair to compare styles of music but obvious influences are Fleet Foxes and Mumford. But there are also lots of other influences here that make this an excellent musical treat. All round good song writing and musicianship.

New York Times E.P.
New York Times E.P.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another slice of Americana., 25 May 2015
This review is from: New York Times E.P. (Audio CD)
I discovered Simon Felice quite late and am currently buying into his back catalogue. I just love his laid back Americana and although some people find him a bit repetitive I personally love his sound and style.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5