Profile for signet > Reviews

Upstairs Downstairs - The Complete Series [DVD] [1971]
Upstairs Downstairs - The Complete Series [DVD] [1971]
Dvd ~ Rachel Gurney

5.0 out of 5 stars Only took me over 40 years to watch this!, 30 Aug 2014
I remember watching this in my early teens, but not taking that much notice of it at the time. I was inspired to buy this after watching several repeat episodes over the last few years and realising what great drama this series offered.
I have now watched all 17 discs since acquiring the boxed set several months ago and it was rather bizarre that as I viewed the period covered by World War one in the series, this coincided with the 100th Anniversary of that conflict. Brilliant depictions of the ravages of war played by Simon Williams as David Bellamy and Christopher Beeny as Edward( the footman). In fact every actor-including the late, great Gordon Jackson as Hudson the butler- could not be faulted for their abilities to portray life in London in the early 20th Century. This series gave great depth to a multitude of varying storylines without really detracting from the real backbone of the show which centred on the Bellamys and their servants. What a pity they don't make them like this anymore; certain period dramas are a pale imitation in comparison.

The Helm Guide to Bird Identification
The Helm Guide to Bird Identification

5.0 out of 5 stars A CLASSIC REBORN, 30 Aug 2014
I bought the hardback version of the earlier version on this book neatly 25 years ago when books on the subject of "difficult" species groups were seldom published and, back then, I thought it was superb and hugely informative for its size
This new version, which was one of the first books I downloaded onto my newly acquired Kindle, is even better and reflects the modern treatment of some species such as large Gulls and vagrant Warblers. The text is more extensive( with a valuable "Where and When" intro) and written with clarity, yet conciseness , without rambling into specialist ornithological terms so both the beginner and advanced birders can understand. There are some new illustrations of the "new" species with some revisions of the older ones and yet again wonderfully reproduced with relevant accompanying text.
This book will appeal to birders on every level; from those who can't tell a Carrion Crow from a Raven to those struggling with juvenile Herring & Caspian Gulls. Well worth the £11.32 I paid--just to look at it!!! Now if Bloomsbury or Helm can provide a Kindle version of its counterpart-The Birders Guide to European and Middle Eastern Birds- published in 1996, my life will be complete.....

Kindle Fire HDX: Go From Kindle Fire HDX Beginner to Master in 1 Hour or Less! (Kindle Fire HDX for Beginners: The Complete Guide to Mastering Your Device Quickly)

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy read, 30 Aug 2014
This book is fine if you are a complete Kindle or tablet novice like me and points you in the right direction to get the most of your device. However, it is really tailored to the USA market so a few chapters are not relevant to the UK market e.g. Amazon Instant Video and I've marked it down a star due to the fact it contains links to the author's other commercial interests which are not related to the topic. I downloaded this free on my Kindle last week, so I can't really grumble.
Well worth having though if you can download it for free!

New Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7 inch 7" 2013 (ALL Model Versions - 16GB, 32GB & 64GB Wi-Fi + 4G LTE) BLACK Multi-Function Leather SMART FOLIO Front & Back Case / Smart Cover / Typing & Viewing Stand / Premium SLIM Flip Case With Magnetic Sleep Sensor & Screen Protector Shield Guard & Amazon Kindle Fire HDX Tablet Black Stylus Pen Accessory Accessories Pack by InventCase®
Offered by Sunny Savers Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT VALUE CASE, 27 Aug 2014
I should have bought this AFTER buying my Kindle HDX instead of getting an inferior one at the same time!
A lovely case: appears sturdy, fits my device like a glove so there's no need to separate the case from the Kindle as the power/volume control/charging slot + earpiece jack are all easily accessible. Comes with a stylus and screen protector at a price well below Amazon's own. Highly recommended

Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Tablet...., 24 Aug 2014
I had been thinking of buying a tablet for some months and did a lot of research before actually buying this one. In the end it was a toss up between a Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HDX; the reviews were mainly positive for the latter, so when a certain high street store were doing the 32GB version for £60.00 less than advertised on Amazon, I took the plunge...
I've had the device for three days now and really glad I opted for this version.The screen is fantastically clear and bright with the device itself very light and thin. When I registered my Kindle with Amazon( just type in your log-in details), all my purchased music was instantly available and there is a facility for you to download it all to your device so you can play it all off-line. Navigating the web and e-mails is very fast- sometimes faster than my PC and downloading books take a few seconds. The only quibble I could really honestly say that I had issue with was transferring my own files from my PC to the Kindle. All my personal MP4 videos appeared to take an age to upload to the Cloud Drive, so I converted them to avi files and they took a fraction of the time and almost instantly synced with my Kindle. It's really best to upload to your Cloud Drive as transferring photos and videos point to point takes an age. Some non-Amazon bought music wouldn't upload either i.e. from CDs or music files on my PC as they are DRM registered. The power button is a little awkward being on the rear of the device- as is the volume control- so makes it a little troublesome when your Kindle is in a protective case.
Other than these minor points, I'm really pleased- couldn't decide whether to give this four or five stars, but gave Amazon the benefit of the doubt as I've never personally had any negative product associated with them. Hope this review helps someone out there...
UPDATE: If you want a decent case for this device, then get the one from InventCase advertised on Amazon for less than £15 as it has all the right holes in all the right places for the Kindle 7 HDX; I guess I bought my first case rather rashly in hindsight: go toNew Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7 inch 7" 2013 (ALL Model Versions - 16GB, 32GB & 64GB Wi-Fi + 4G LTE) BLACK Multi-Function Leather SMART FOLIO Front & Back Case / Smart Cover / Typing & Viewing Stand / Premium SLIM Flip Case With Magnetic Sleep Sensor & Scr...
UPDATE NUMBER TWO; Had the Kindle for a few weeks now and I am still really pleased with it. A few things worth mentioning; I had to contact the help facility- the "Mayday" button- as my web browser appeared non-responsive. I was connected in less than 10 seconds and the solution was actually " drawn" on my device by my contact. Brilliant- wouldn't hesitate to use it again if I became stuck. I've now downloaded a lot of my non-Amazon music and personal videos to my Kindle via Cloud; once you've uploaded them and they sync to your device, simply download them onto your Kindle, then delete them from your Amazon Cloud, freeing up your free 5GB of storage. The battery life can be a little draining- I watched a video from BBC I-Player for two hours and the power discharged nearly 40 per cent from a full charge-but will last a lot longer just listening to music, reading books or when you are generally on-line. The Amazon AppStore suits my personal needs very well so I don't have to go through other channels, though other reviewers have commented on their paucity.
I have found my Kindle much easier to use that I thought I would and the fabulous resolution on the screen has made my friends and family think that I am a great photographer too!!! If I can understand and actively enjoy this device, then anyone can. Hope this helps.

Rokono® BASS+ Mini Speaker for iPhone / iPad / iPod / MP3 Player / Laptop - Black
Offered by Gadget Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars A great ball of sound!, 20 Aug 2014
I just received this today and have spent the last hour or so testing it out. For its size- no bigger than a tennis ball- the overall sound is extremely pleasing with no distortion at full volume whether it be the LSO or Radiohead! The volume is ample for a medium size room and thankfully lacks the tinny-like tones of some other speakers I've had in the past with a great basal quality which I can enhance even further using the settings my MP3 player. The product comes with a handy 80cm extension lead too which is a real plus. If you want it as a travel speaker only as I do, this this will more than suffice, though you can link in additional speakers if necessary. Amazing price too- thoroughly recommended.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 User's Manual
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 User's Manual
by Mr Graham Houghton

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous handbook, 4 May 2014
When considering and researching to buy a bridge camera to photograph wildlife a year or so ago, I actually learnt to use the Panasonic FZ200 from Graham's tutorials on UTube before I bought it and this was instrumental in my purchase. This manual goes hand in hand with those videos and explains in greater depth the technical details in simple language that anyone can understand for a novice photographer like myself. The layout is easy to follow with supporting photographs taken with the camera to illustrate various subjects with diagrams that decipher all those photo jargon terms that can be daunting; the "Exposure Triangle " on page 44 is a case in point.
Although a little large to carry around in your pocket, this manual is a marvellous resource and totally eclipses the rather muddled and confusing material that comes with the FZ200( I have the latter on my PC, but have only referenced it twice in a year!). I cannot speak highly enough on this book and would thoroughly recommend to buy it if you have this camera.

BEATLES VIDEO COLLECTION, 2 DVD SET, RARE, REGION FREE, PAL, NEW
BEATLES VIDEO COLLECTION, 2 DVD SET, RARE, REGION FREE, PAL, NEW

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab value for the money, 4 May 2014
Ok- some of this is of variable quality(rather grainy in some parts) and some of the sleeve titles are rather amusing e.g. PaperBlack Writer, Hey Tude, A Day in the Line- but overall this "video" collection is well worth having. A lot of the content die-hard Beatle fans will have most of them already on the Anthology series or on the recently remastered films, but there's some great clips from TV shows in the UK . USA, Japan and Europe with a few NME Winners Polls concerts from the 1960s. Standout rarities are Rain, Paperback Writer, Strawberry Fields, Day Tripper and -my fave- footage from A Day in the Life sessions which are rarely seen nowadays. Running time is a whopping 204 minutes over 2 discs and truly represents a great buy for the price. If you have no "live" video of any of the Beatles' performances, then get this!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for all Beatle fans!, 19 Mar 2014
I last saw this over 35 years ago & time has not diminished it's historical value. For the price- this is well worth the odd grainy shot and variable tinny sound as the music is fab(!) and the interaction between the four is absorbing. A lot of modern bands could do with watching this and see how it's done! A worthy addition for any Beatle collection in the meantime until someone somewhere puts out a remastered version with al the bits that were left out originally. Buy this!