Profile for C. Poulson > Reviews

Invisible Ink: How 100 Great Authors Disappeared
Invisible Ink: How 100 Great Authors Disappeared
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely entertaining, 2 Jun 2014
Fowler cover a huge range of writers, some more forgotten than others. I was reminded of old loves and introduced to writers that I want to try. I read it pretty much at a sitting and am looking forward to a follow-up volume

LOW VISIBILITY
LOW VISIBILITY
Price: 0.80

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read, 1 April 2014
This review is from: LOW VISIBILITY (Kindle Edition)
Yes, it's short, but it packs a powerful punch. A thought-provoking account of an abusive relationship, wholly convincing and beautifully written.

Death Walks in Eastrepps (Arcturus Crime Classics)
Death Walks in Eastrepps (Arcturus Crime Classics)
by Francis Beeding
Price: 6.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 8 Feb 2014
Death Walks in Eastrepps was first published in 1931, but is surprisingly contemporary in its concerns - a serial killer, the power of the press to influence the course of a murder investigation, a crooked financier - I did guess the plot twist, but no matter. It was an interesting and unusual motive for murder. The blurb claims that 'this thrilling page-turner was once pronounced one of the ten greatest detective stories of all time.' That is pitching it a bit high, but it's very readable and hadn't dated too much.

Northern France: What to Do and See Within 90 Minutes of Calais
Northern France: What to Do and See Within 90 Minutes of Calais
by Angela Bird

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous guidebook, 9 Nov 2013
We go to Northern France often and this is the one indispensable guide-book. So much so that when I lost my copy on a recent trip, I had to order a new one as soon as I got home. I can't be without it! It's especially good if you are travelling with children. It's packed full of ideas and advice and I really can't praise it highly enough.

Plotting for Grown-ups
Plotting for Grown-ups
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, perceptive, and well-written, 16 Sep 2013
I first encountered Sally Howe in Sue Hepworth's very funny PLOTTING FOR BEGINNERS. In PLOTTING FOR GROWN-UPS, we meet her again when her marriage has finally collapsed, and so has her writing career. Her agent can't find a publisher for her new book. At sixty is she all washed up? She decides to self-publish. It turns out that the best available printer is a man that she has already tangled with - literally - when she caused him to fall off his bike on the Monsal Trail. Can their mutual attraction win out over this unpromising start and the hostility of Kit's grown-up daughters? The novel is perceptive about the joys and the pitfalls of late-flowering love - and very funny. It's great fun and I especially loved Sally's tweets and the way they comment obliquely on what's going on. Highly recommended.

The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch 1)
The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch 1)
Price: 0.84

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 6 Jun 2013
This is an excellent debut novel. Mike Bowditch is a game warden in Maine. The dramatic landscape and the details of his work are very well described and this was what I really enjoyed the most. The story begins with Mike's estranged father on the run after being accused of murder and continues with Mike's efforts to clear his name and find a way to be a worthy son. Although the plot passed muster, I did towards the end feel that Mike acted in a self-destructive way once too often and was let off the hook a bit too easy. But for a first novel I thought it was very promising and I look forward to reading the others in the series.

How To Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk
How To Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk
by Adele Faber
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars First-rate advice, 15 April 2013
Excellent guide to how to communicate effectively with your child - or anyone else come that. The challenge will be remembering to put the principles into practice when in the thick of things.

White Heat: Edie Kiglatuk Arctic Crime Series Book 1 (The Edie Kiglatuk Arctic Crime Series)
Price: 3.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 21 Jan 2013
I loved the Arctic setting of White Heat and all the details of a culture very different to my own. It's very nicely written, with lots of vivid descriptions. But I did guess one of the villains quite early on - they were an obvious suspect - and this made Edie seem a bit slow on the uptake, and I did get a bit irritated by the way she kept taking foolishly unnecessary risks, which is why I have given it four instead of five stars.

The Messenger of Athens (Mysteries of/Greek Detective 1)
The Messenger of Athens (Mysteries of/Greek Detective 1)
by Anne Zouroudi

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 25 Nov 2010
Though at first I found it a little hard to get into (though that might have been the author's fault) by the end I was loving it. Full of atmosphere and wonderful characters, it's beautifully written and has stayed with me.

Sigg Classics Bottle - Red, 0.6 Litres
Sigg Classics Bottle - Red, 0.6 Litres
Offered by 365onlineshop
Price: 12.08

5.0 out of 5 stars simple classic design, 1 Oct 2010
Simple, light elegant, a classic design. Keeps liquids cool and tasting good. Perfect. This was to replace one that I lost and that I used all the time.

Page: 1 | 2