Profile for Elizabeth Owen > Reviews

Content by Elizabeth Owen

Elizabeth Owen "Lillibet" (England)

Gertie Sews Vintage Casual: A Modern Guide to Sportswear Styles of the 1940s and 1950s
by Gretchen Hirsch

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Vintage Style, 14 Sept. 2014
Arrived today (Sunday - after a failed attempt on Saturday!) and I love it so far. The first book had more 'me' patterns, but there is still plenty in here for me. I have been desperate for some cigarette/capri trousers so I am delighted that they are here. I think I will do more from here than I initially expect as they are more practical clothes for the school run than my usual frocks.

I love Gertie's chatty style in the 'how to' section, although I have only read the 'history' bit so far. I love the level of information - informative, but not going on and on and on .....

As one of the other reviews implies, Gertie has her own sizing, based on American sizing, but very much more generous at the hips. Reference to the sizing chart is essential, but I found it quite accurate. The guide to adjusting trousers is very good as this can be tricky.

I am very much looking forward to making something from here

Liddabit Sweets Candy Cookbook, The
Liddabit Sweets Candy Cookbook, The
by Liz, Gutman

5.0 out of 5 stars What I had been searching for, 27 Nov. 2013
I have several sweetie/chocolate making books and have made things that I have been really proud of BUT they havent been, erm, exciting. Standard flavours and combinations. Well this book has blown them away. It does have the technical stuff you need but I cannot express enough just how fabulous the things I have done from it have been. I have banned myself from doing anything until I know I can gift most of it away as I cannot stop picking at it! RThis is the one I had been waiting for!

Christmas Gifts from the Kitchen
Christmas Gifts from the Kitchen
by Georgeanne Brennan

5.0 out of 5 stars Will use every year, 26 Nov. 2013
I bought this book last year and love it. I have used several of the recipes for Christmas foodie gifts and all have been very well received. A beautifully laid out book with a good choice of recipes suitable for all levels of cooking ability.

Tea with Bea: Recipes from Bea's of Bloomsbury
Tea with Bea: Recipes from Bea's of Bloomsbury
by Bea's of Bloomsbury

5.0 out of 5 stars Tea with Bea, 20 Aug. 2011
A lovely book, beautifully illustrated. I like Bea's easy going introduction and descriptions of recipes. It gives good, simple, clear advice on technique which will hopefully make me a better baker. The recipe selection is good and she give some nice variations with some of the recipes. A lovely book I had been waiting for for several months. I would say it was suitable for most levels of baker to use.