Profile for R. Bruce Crelin > Reviews

Content by R. Bruce Crelin

R. Bruce Crelin "Badlands Manx" (Long Valley, NJ USA)

Phantom of the Opera (Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray]
Phantom of the Opera (Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Lon Chaney

5.0 out of 5 stars Is This Region-Free?, 12 Oct 2012
Thia is not really a review, but a query. I'm in the US. This looks like a very nice version of the film (both the '25 & '29 versions, in fact) & appears to be superior to the Blu-ray available in the US. The product information does not say what region the disc is - does anyone know if it is region-free?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2013 12:52 AM BST

The Seventh Collection: Midsomer Murders  [DVD]
The Seventh Collection: Midsomer Murders [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Nettles

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Episodes, 3 April 2010
I have not purchased this particular boxed set, although I've got sets 1 through 6. The packaging of the sets is quite good - very secure, and does not take up too much shelf space. I couldn't wait for the set to come out, so I've been buying the individual episodes as they are released, and my wife & I have been watching them as they come in & I've got, & have watched, all the shows that are in this set. The show doesn't air in the U.S. (we had a cable channel that used to air the old episodes, but no longer does - that is how my wife & I got hooked on the show in the first place). The episodes are all quite good, although some of the plots are a little improbable. The producers have been able to maintain a very high level of quality even though the show has been on the air for many years. As for "Talking to the Dead," for some reason the DVD was not released in sequence, but is supposed to come out on April 12, 2010 (I had pre-ordered it ages ago, that order was cancelled, and I pre-ordered it again on 9/22/09, so I've been waiting for it for quite some time). I agree about Joyce Barnaby being involved in every social event in the county - there also seems to be a murder connected with every such event. I wouldn't be surprised if the show ended with the revelation that she is a serial killer, and was actually responsible for most of the deaths on the show! (Just kidding - I know it's just a plot device.)

World War 1 : The Great War - Complete BBC Series (7 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
World War 1 : The Great War - Complete BBC Series (7 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ralph Richardson
Offered by cult_stores_ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Classic BBC Documentary, 13 Jan 2010
This was a Christmas present, and I've only watched the first 5 episodes so far, and it is a very well done, classic BBC documentary. I've read quite alot about the First World War, histories, literary works (Graves, Blunden, Sassoon, Owen, Gurney, etc.) and literary criticism (Fussell, Hynes), but have not seen very much film or video on WWI. There's nowhere near as much video material out there on the First World War as there is on the Second, but this series is the best overview of the war on video that I've seen, at least based upon what I've seen so far. As it was made in 1964, many of the participants were still alive, and it is quite marvelous to have their reminiscences captured on film. It's too bad the DVD set is out of print, but I received excellent service from the third-party seller I purchased it from (Gift of Sound). Highly recommended to anyone with an interest in the Great War.

The Courageous Exploits Of Doctor Syn
The Courageous Exploits Of Doctor Syn
by Russell Thorndike

5.0 out of 5 stars Out-of-Print Book in Good Condition, 9 Oct 2009
After watching the DVDs of the Walt Disney program from 1964, "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh," I decided to read the books. Amazon in the U.S. has the "complete" Dr. Syn series in a Kindle edition (6 of the books by Russell Thorndike from the first third of the 20th century, but not "Christopher Syn" from 1960 by Buchanan, which is actually the book the Disney version is based on), but it is missing this book. I found that price and availability were better on the U.K. site than the U.S. site, so I ordered it. It is a hardcover from a later set of the Dr. Syn stories, but I was looking for a book to read and not a rare collectors' item. It is in fairly good condition, the binding is solid, the pages are intact and it is readable. I'm about halfway through, and am enjoying it very much. An old-fashioned "ripping yarn" - Dr. Syn's/the Scarecrow's amazing adventures and narrow escapes are pretty farfetched, but it's lots of fun.

Space Patrol : The Complete Series (6 Disc Set)
Space Patrol : The Complete Series (6 Disc Set)
Offered by g515tfl

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Re-Living My Childhood, 5 April 2009
I remember watching this show when I was very young - I live in the U.S., where it was called "Planet Patrol." I didn't remember much about the details, mostly just Professor Haggerty, Husky & Slim, the aliens and some of the gadgets. I think it holds up pretty well - I've only watched the first 2 discs so far, but the plots are well done for a childrens' show, and they tried to keep things scientifically realistic (to a degree) - for example, it takes many weeks of travel to reach other planets, and the crew goes into a "freezer room" for the trips. Enjoyable even for an adult to watch.