Profile for TheReader > Reviews

TheReader

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
In Decay
In Decay

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting compilation but start with Galactic Melt, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: In Decay (MP3 Download)
I discovered Com Truise on Youtube and I was immediately impressed with his unusual, experimental retro sound. I loved Galactic Melt - his only full album release to date. In Decay represents a compilation of predominately earlier work. There are some real gems on this album but I did find the theme that runs through many of the tracks a little tired towards the end. If you are an existing fan and have his album this is a good purchase but for people new to his work, stick with Galactic Melt.

Smart Snacker Classic Colours Food Bowl for Cats and Dogs 1.5ltr
Smart Snacker Classic Colours Food Bowl for Cats and Dogs 1.5ltr
Offered by Equestrian Performance
Price: 12.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Product, 23 July 2012
A good product overall, dispenses biscuits from the hopper reliably and no mechanical moving parts to go wrong. The biscuits stay quite fresh by virtue of the hoppers cap. My only issue with this product is that the bowl is too small for larger cats to eat from without scooping the biscuits out and making a mess of the floor.

Redline
Redline
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, try this modern, retro masterpeice!, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Redline (MP3 Download)
I discovered Lazerhawk while on Youtube. He is part of this new wave of retro sounding electronic artists such as Kavinsky, Electric Youth and Com Truise. Some tracks reach a dangerous level of funk, all feature great retro beats and synth's. In short this is a great little album well worth the money. Check this guy out!

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Price: 17.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality headphones at a fair price, 10 May 2012
I was pleased to find these headphones particularly comfortable and light on my large noggin. Not only do they adjust for depth but they actual headphones actually also able to rotate to a degree making them easier to put on/take off and creating a good fit. Build quality is of a high standard, I have had them for several months and can see nothing degrading. Do watch out that you don't ever put pressure on the cable, I have ruined a good headset before doing this!

Sound quality is quite impressive. I do how ever feel they lack bass a little in comparison to my last headset. Overall, a good quality set of phones for listening to music or gaming for a top price!

The Blooding of Jack Absolute
The Blooding of Jack Absolute
by C.C. Humphreys
Price: 6.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this top notch historical novel!, 2 April 2012
Being a huge fan of George McDonald Frazier's 'Flashman' Series I was interested in reading some more historical novels. I was certainly not disappointed with C.C Humphrey's book. It tells the tale of young Jack Absolute around the mid 18th century. The author gives great depth both to his many vivid characters and the places they inhabit. We are taken on an exciting journey from Cornwall to the bustling metropolis of London described in all it's pomp, debauchery and squalor. Later on we come to Canada's bleak wilderness and a war between two superpowers.

I really enjoyed this novel. I found it more humorous and enjoyable than just about any of the Bernard Cornwell's 'Sharpe' series. The book is brilliantly well researched with notes on the authors reading list and adventures at the end. Save a tree and buy this great novel from one of Amazons great 2nd hand book dealers.

Shogun 2: Total War (PC DVD)
Shogun 2: Total War (PC DVD)
Offered by Moeroshop-UK
Price: 12.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A Well Balanced, Dynamic Strategy, 27 Sep 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Having enjoyed Napoleon Total War a great deal I was keen to play Shogun 2. At first I must admit that I was disappointed. I had ordered a game on DVD as opposed to Steam and found out I still had over 19 Gig to download! The second DVD in the case appears to have no use what so ever.

When I finally downloaded the game I found it a very different experience to Napoleon. It is a great deal more dynamic than it's forbear, infantry cover distances much more quickly. Individual mele battles are fought at a much faster pace than the exchange of musket volleys. Siege mode has been altered, you will often find yourself attacking or defending a multi layered fortress. Attacking at several different points will either give you more options or keep you on your toes!

Multiplayer battles are fought in three different ways: Campaign, Avatar and my personal favourite Classic Battle. I dislike Avatar mode as your unit selections are extremely limited to start with, around only 3 units! More often than not you'll be 'matched' against someone of a much higher level who there for an unfair advantage in unit choice.

I enjoyed the campaign mode of Shogun 2 more than Napoleon. Your ultimate aim is to conquer Japan and become Shogun. You can use a mixture of warfare, diplomacy, assassination and trade to bring this about. Overall a top strategy game with a few downfalls.

Rifles: Six Years with Wellington's Legendary Sharpshooters
Rifles: Six Years with Wellington's Legendary Sharpshooters
by Mark Urban
Price: 6.62

4.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning Of The End For Line Infantry, 27 Sep 2011
Mark Urban gives us an incite-full look at the now legendary riflemen of the 95th. Set largely during the Peninsula Campaign, he draws on many sources of information and gives a well balanced account. We hear in detail of the long marches and hard fought battles as well as the unusual and forward thinking battle tactics used by the regiment. We are also told of the less glorious pillaging, desertions and punishments.

Urban puts exerts taken from memoirs and diaries to good use, we really get a feeling of what these men endured and experienced. He also uses material taken from French sources giving us the Rifles reputation from the other side of the coin.

The maps included in this book where a little unhelpful and could have used further work. Overall an informative and interesting read for anyone into the Napoleonic era.

The Crossing (Border Trilogy) (paperback)
The Crossing (Border Trilogy) (paperback)
by Cormac McCarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars A western epic and so much more, 20 Sep 2011
After reading All The Pretty Horses I was keen to read the next part in the border trilogy. I have to say that McCarthy certainly did not disappoint and I enjoyed reading The Crossing even more than it's predecessor.

The story follows Billy Parham, a 17 year old boy living with on a cattle ranch near the Mexican border. Set in the late thirties we journey across the southern US and into Mexico in three perilous adventures. Cormac describes an epic landscape steeped in a terrible history. He manages to capture the wild and dangerous nature of Mexico at that time whilst portraying it's people as being largely generous and kind despite their obvious hardships.

The novel deals with suffering, bereavement, the uncertain nature of life and loosing faith in God. Billy encounters people who not only tell him their often remarkable tales but offer unique philosophies. A Dark, remarkable, thought provoking read.

Flashman and Royal Flash
Flashman and Royal Flash
by George MacDonald Fraser

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Omnibus, 17 Aug 2011
Flashamn: The first novel in a series that spanned most of the authors life. We are introduced to Harry Flashman, a lecherous, cowardly cad. We follow his adventures through early 19th century England, India and ultimately Afghanistan. The book is largely set in the latter and follows the events of the First Afghan War. Brilliantly written and researched, it will have you hooked from cover to cover. 5 STARS

Royal Flash: Following his "Heroic" Afghan adventure we catch up with Flashy back in England. A mysterious letter prompts a trip to Germany. Bedroom romps, swordplay and dastardly plots await us. Like it's predecessor this novel is brilliantly and researched. We are entertained AND taught a history lesson almost imperceptibly. A very good read but not as great as the original Flashman. 4 STARS

Sharpe's Fortress: The Siege of Gawilghur, December 1803 (The Sharpe Series, Book 3): Richard Sharpe and the Siege of Gawilghur, December 1803
by Bernard Cornwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but repetition does not make perfect., 17 Aug 2011
Having read the two previous novels in Cornwell's "India trilogy" I was keen to read the finale instalment. To it's merit, the action is well described and like the other books gives us a feeling of what it would have been like to be present.

Characters how ever feel a little 2D and unconvincing. Also the plot line is a little too similar to the previous novels. Yet another attempt on Sgt Hakeswill's life is made. It's hard to suspend your disbelieve during some of the plot twists.

Overall an enjoyable read but not with out it's faults.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3