Profile for Sam Tatton-Brown > Reviews

Sam Tatton-Brown

More Mile Piu Miglia Thermal Mens Cycle Tights PM1358
More Mile Piu Miglia Thermal Mens Cycle Tights PM1358

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, came quickly, 20 Oct. 2014
Great product, came quickly, extremely comfortable and warm for cycling. Very good value for the price (I got them for £20) – so chuffed with them that I ordered a couple more (sad person that I am).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2014 8:27 AM GMT

The Things I'd Miss
The Things I'd Miss
by Andrew Clover

5.0 out of 5 stars I've rarely read a book that cast such a spell., 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Things I'd Miss (Paperback)
Lucy, a young mother, leaves her kids at home, while she drives to the shop, but she has a terrible car crash. When she comes round, she's a student again, and she's lying beside the man she always loved - the one she never kissed. Can she do it now? Can the past be changed?

I loved Andrew Clover’s last book (Learn Love In A Week) and the Sunday Times columns, so my friend got me this as a gift. I wasn’t sure I’d enjoy it. There's a whiff of fantasy about the premise, which isn't a genre I'd normally go for. And the book is compared to Jojo Moyes and Maggie O’Farrell, who I wouldn’t normally read. But I thought I’d give it a few pages, and then got utterly hooked.
The first surprise was that Clover’s writing seemed to have grown far more sophisticated since Learn Love. There are a few moments of comedy and great observation, as you’d expect. (I laughed at the chaotic opening scene, with the dog-obsessed boy, and the newt in the bath!) But there was a gorgeous passion about it that surprised me: “I press my lips to his... I pause as the ecstasy of love explodes slowly like an orange firework in my heart.”

The next surprise is how much it affected me. The idea is that Lucy is reliving the key scenes of her life. She is able, for example, to be five again, back in her childhood garden, back at that wonderful moment where each dandelion seed looks like a fairy, but Mum is huge and inexplicably angry. I found that terribly easy to imagine, and so moving, I put the book down, and went off into my own memories and longings.

The meat of the book concerns a love affair which happened when Lucy was a student. It conjured that time of life, where every frown caused heartache, and each smile made joy, but there’s an edge to the writing since Lucy, like the reader, is revisiting this story, hoping somehow it will have a better outcome.

But then as the book went on, I became less concerned about the student love affair, and more about the kids at home, and, rather like Lucy herself, I became really really concerned she might get back to them. Would she? Could she? And if she could, could the pace of the novel be sustained? Obviously I won’t say what happened, but might I just record that I found the end continually surprising, and that I haven’t wept so much, since I was a heartbroken teenager.

I even choked up a bit at the Acknowledgements, which explained something of Clover’s change of tone. He credits his main inspirations as Scott Fitzgerald, Evelyn Waugh, and Sylvia Plath. That made sense. I wouldn’t compare it to Jojo Moyes. The most obvious comparison, surely, would be The Time Traveller’s Wife. That’s the book this is most like, although this is less American – it’s a shorter, lighter, more humorous read. But I’d recommend that anyone would read it. It's original, brilliantly structured, and superbly moving. I've already started rereading it again myself!

Le'Xpress Replacement 3 Cup Glass Jug
Le'Xpress Replacement 3 Cup Glass Jug

5.0 out of 5 stars Cafetiere Replacement Jug, 29 Feb. 2012
All good - it's a simple piece of kit that does what you'd expect & not found any faults with it. Delivery efficient and seemed to be one of the cheapest available for performing this simple function, so no complaints.

I personally find the "3 cup" size description a bit confusing. I guess it may be 3 of the tiny cups you only find in continental cafes or costly restaurants, but it is basically the size that does 1 mug of the sort you're likely to find in your kitchen or at work (others more literate in milliliters doubtless know this intuitively, but it left me in slight uncertainty that I was getting the size I wanted).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2015 11:36 PM BST

Boxing Hand Wraps SHIHAN-MAX - 1 Pair BLUE
Boxing Hand Wraps SHIHAN-MAX - 1 Pair BLUE
Offered by BOXING SHOP-POWER SPORTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Boxing Hand Wraps - Shihan, 29 Feb. 2012
No complaints at all. Hand wraps are hardly complex bits of kit, so there's not really much that can go wrong, but these seem great for the job and do all they say on the tin: good length, made of that very slightly stretchy material (have used some hand wraps with no stretch in them - I prefer some slight stretch for getting a tight binding that is more resistant to getting loose/unravelling in kick boxing training session which may involve taking gloves on & off to switch between gloves & pads) and the stitching around the velcro straps (about the only thing that can go wrong) seem to be holding up fine. All seem great for a decent price. Delivery was also quick & efficient - w'd recommend.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Bag OK, but stitching poor, 19 Mar. 2011
Decided to apply my Old Pop's advice on marriage ("Son, don't get overly herng up on looks (n' besides, y've no right ter, lookin' as yer do like a turnip head w' two left feet) - any old bag will do, jes so long as it's cheap n' cherful n' will carry whatcha need it to") to my choice of bag to keep my shower kit in at work.

The bag is indeed cheap, it carries what I need it to, and its looks do me proud (all of which is splendid), but it's not quite as cheerful as I'd hoped. The material of the bag seems fine (looks like it probably is pretty water resistant & should ware as I'd expect for the price). The failing is in the stitching: within a week the main shoulder strap has already bust due to the stitching coming apart as one end (so I need to sew the end buckle back on) and the sticthing on the interior dividing panels separating the main body of the bag from the end pockets has also come apart at both ends.

But I guess it's how the vicar said it would be at the wedding - it should last a life time, but you'll need to work at keeping it all together. Just not sure how much time I want to dedictate to keeping my shower bag together.