Profile for Mongoose > Reviews

Content by Mongoose

Mongoose

KFA2 75IGH8HX9KXZ - Nvidia Geforce GTX750ti OC - 2GB DDR5 PCIe Graphics Card HDMI D-Sub DVI-D
Offered by Kikatek
Price: 117.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Card! Probably the best performing Low Profile card ..., 21 Aug 2014
Great Card! Probably the best performing Low Profile card you can get on the market (although it does take up about 2 slots worth of height). My only gripe with it is the stock fan - it is still very audible at its minimum speed which is locked at 40% iirc. However I replaced the fan with a cheap 45mm fan which I bought off ebay for a few quid and it now runs much quieter.

If you would like to see my video guide on how to change the fan on this card, check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PWA0pFPdM

Pros:
-Performance is fantastic!
-The power to performance of this card is next-gen, a big step up in efficiency from basically any other card on the market. No strong PSU needed.
-Ultimate HTPC card

Cons:
-The stock fan is not silent at idle RPM - see above for how to fix this.
- If your mini-itx case is very small, you may need extra ventilation to expel the heat this thing produces (you will need at least an 80mm case fan as an exhaust, and another preferably larger fan as an intake if you want to do heavy gaming on it).

Livewire 3M Stereo TRS Jack To Jack Lead - Balanced Cable
Livewire 3M Stereo TRS Jack To Jack Lead - Balanced Cable
Offered by Inta-Audio
Price: 6.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic quality!, 29 Jan 2014
I bought two of these for my high-end Fostex Monitors for my home studio, for the purpose of reducing some slight analogue noise which I was experiencing some of with my old cables. I'm please to say that it has successfully eliminated all noticeable noise.

However, I WASN'T expecting any increase in Sound Quality, but these cables has made my speakers sound so much better! I would never have imagined that a change in audio cable could change the sound quality by any noticeable amount, but the difference is like night and day. Music sounds way better than than before, and I can actually hear parts of songs that I wouldn't have heard with my old cables! I assure you this isn't a placebo effect because I'm an experienced music producer and wasn't expecting to hear any difference with these cables.

This could be saying more about how bad my old cables were rather than how good these ones are - but at least I know that these cables do provide great quality audio.

Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A 140mm CPU Cooler Silent Fan for Socket 775/1155/1156/1366/AMD/AM2/AM3
Price: 39.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Cooler - but hard to install, 23 Jan 2014
In summary: This cooler offers absolutely fantastic cooling performance, however the difficulty of installing it made me wish I had gone for something else (will explain this in more detail later).

Pros:
-One of the best air coolers you can get, at any price
-Runs completely silent on idle, increasing to a gentle breeze at full load.
-Since the heatsink is so large it benefits from extra airflow generated by the back/top case fans.
-Best Price/Performance ratio (cooling and noise included)

Cons:
- The largest CPU cooler I've ever seen. Barely fits in most mid tower cases. It fits in my Cooler Master Elite 430 but the fan clip does scrap the side panel when attaching/removing.
- The size of the heatsink means that you cannot access any of the motherboard slots below it without removing the heatsink, e.g. fan slots. Also one of the top fans had to be removed (the top rear) due to the size of this thing.
- Installation is DIFFICULT. This is by far my biggest issue with the cooler. Admittedly this was the first Socket 1150 cooler I've had to install, but I have had experience other CPU coolers.
- If I could sum up my experience with installing the cooler, I would describe it as one of the worst experiences I've ever had in system building. Firstly, the instructions are hard to follow, and you have to spend a good 10-20 minutes just finding out which screws, nuts, washers and other parts you need for your particular socket. Then putting the parts together is tricky. Attaching the mounting plate to your motherboard will most probably require you to remove the entire motherboard and all its connections (unless you don't mind not putting in the washers, which could cause damage to your motherboard in the long term). Then, finally, after installing it, you realise that you've blocked access to all the headers on the motherboard and if you need to plug or unplug a fan or other cable to the motherboard, or move a fan around to experiment with cooling, you will need to remove the entire heatsink again. I ended up having to remove and re-attach a few times, including re-applying thermal paste. Ugh. The entire process took what felt like around 2 hours of suffering. This might seem like an exaggeration, but that's actually how I felt at the time! :P

Conclusion:
Installation troubles aside, I couldn't be happier with the cooling and noise performance. However, the installation process made me wish I had gone for an alternative option, even if it meant sacrificing performance.
If intending to overclock, and don't mind putting aside an hour or so for installation, then I highly recommend this cooler. Just make sure you've got a suitably large PC case.
If not overclocking, go with something smaller.