Profile for L. R. Pycock > Reviews

Content by L. R. Pycock

L. R. Pycock "Blah Flowers" (London, UK)

Adventures of Herge
Adventures of Herge
by Jose-Louis Bocquet
Price: 10.39

2.0 out of 5 stars Know Everything About Hergé Already? Then You May Understand This., 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Adventures of Herge (Hardcover)
I'll admit, I've never read any of the Tintin books. My knowledge of the franchise is that the dog appears to be speaking because Hergé didn't know about thought balloons and that there was an Eighties British pop group named after the detectives in the books. Growing up, Asterix was more my thing. Which is probably why I found this book next to incomprehensible. The last few pages contain potted biographies of most of the main people in Hergé's life, it might do to read this first if you don't already know the details because you won't be getting them from the story itself. If it doesn't chose to make clear his relationship with his first wife, their break-up and his long relationship with the woman he would eventually marry in his old age then surely something is wrong? Did Hergé keep secret how he invented the characters and stories of Tintin? Because you won't be finding out anything about them here. There is always a risk when telling the story of the life of a creator that their creations overshadow them, in this more space is given to the tale of a female actress who is indignant at being cut from the first Tintin film that about the entire creative process of all the stories in the canon. When, towards the end, we suddenly start hearing about a Chinese man who Hergé is concerned about do even Tintin fans know he was a real person who was written in to a couple of the books?

The idea of copying the style of the books to tell the story of the creator is a good one, but while the lines are crisp and neat the characters look far too similar, an endless procession of (mostly) men in different coloured suits. Again the unclear storytelling makes it difficult to know who is who.

Like I said above, maybe my dissatisfaction comes from not already knowing the life story of Hergé before I sat down to read the book. But if we always knew the story before we read a book, what would we ever bother reading?

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars The Sizeable Disappointment, 25 April 2008
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
Having read this because of hearing someone gush about how wonderful it was it came as a real disappointment that 'The Lovely Bones' is just so dull. I'm not going to recount the plot as I assume that you've looked at the synopsis already, but I found all the characters, whether Susie, her family, her friends or her murderer extremely dull and unmemorable. While perhaps Ms. Sebold is to be congratulated for avoiding going all Hollywood with some Lector-like charming psychopathic serial monster, it is possible to go too far in the opposite direction. The fact that Heaven to Susie bears a remarkable similarity to her comfortable, middle-class, suburban home just underlines the paucity of imagination behind the whole enterprise.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2008 6:58 PM BST