Profile for Bookwyrm > Reviews

Bookwyrm (UK)

M.R. James' Whistle And I'll Come To You
M.R. James' Whistle And I'll Come To You
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars The only thing in common with M R James is the title., 5 Aug. 2015
Not an adaptation of an M R James story since it bears no resemblance whatsoever to 'Whistle'. The earlier adaptation with Michael Hordern in it was close to the original short story (not 'book' as one reviewer has written) though irritatingly quirky and fitful. Watch this by all means but not to be reminded of the greatest writer of the English ghost story.

Providence (The Providence Series Book 1)
Providence (The Providence Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable thriller up to the point where one of ..., 10 July 2014
Highly enjoyable thriller up to the point where one of the characters admits to being a half-angel, whereon the story and my brain turned to mush.....

The House at Sea's End: A Ruth Galloway Investigation (Ruth Galloway series Book 3)

1.0 out of 5 stars So annoying, 20 April 2014
I read the promising blurb and reviews for this one and though it might be a good read. I should have taken a look inside it first. Stay away from this book if, like me, you hate lazy authors who write in the present tense. It is such an unnatural and irritating way of telling a story. The plot may be excellent, the characters believable and interesting, but the dreadful gimmick of having everything happen in the present is irritating and tiresome. It may a terrible failing on my part but I only read the first few sentences, randomly flicked through the rest of the book, then deleted it.

The Soulkeepers: The Soulkeepers Series, Book 1
The Soulkeepers: The Soulkeepers Series, Book 1
Offered by Audible Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Good start..., 12 Nov. 2013
But then it trails off into some fundamentalist Christian, Narnia-for-adolescents fairy tale about descendants of Adam and Eve who have super powers because of magic water that flowed out of Eden. By all means rewrite or update any myth for re-tale purposes, but I distrust (and despise) any novel that uses a ridiculous bible story as a factual basis for its plot. It is'nt badly written, though I gave up at the point where Jacob and his Helper planned to travel to visit Africa through a tree shaped wormhole to stay overnight with a medicine woman who might be able to dream if Jacob's mother - last seen stabbing a monster in a forest - is still alive.

Jacob, no-one cares either way....

Thankfully, it was a free download.

Will and Grace: Complete Series 6 [DVD]
Will and Grace: Complete Series 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eric McCormack
Offered by BAZZMEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless series, 24 July 2013
One of those rare sitcoms that are just as funny at the tenth viewing. Timeless comedy, faultless acting, funny and life-affirming. Can't help it but I use some of the one-liners in real life!

The Jewels of Paradise
The Jewels of Paradise
by Donna Leon

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, this one., 10 July 2013
This review is from: The Jewels of Paradise (Hardcover)
I wanted to read this book because it was NOT a Brunetti novel (all of which I love in varying degrees) and felt I needed a change. I also love Venice, mysteries, Baroque music and historical research, and thought that all four combined in one book would make a fascinating story. I was so wrong.

I didn't try and compare it to Ms Leon's previous books, but I did find it incredibly hard to read more than a few pages without setting it aside and going off to do something less laborious. Generally I read a novel quickly, especially one that grabs my attention, and wouldn't normally bother with one that I found such hard going but, respecting Ms Leon's talent for springing surprises, I persisted nibbling away. The trouble is that, three weeks on, I am still gnawing on what is truly a dreary meal of more bones than meat, waiting for something to happen and, oddly, not caring if it does....