Profile for squareloop > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Illusion Of Safety, The
Illusion Of Safety, The

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Your Ears A Favour!, 28 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Illusion Of Safety, The (Audio CD)
This is Thrice's best CD so far, up to "The Artist In The Ambulance." It is clear from owning all their three CD's that with each CD they are progressing further and further in their music, but for me this CD packs more emotion than TAITA and is better.
Dustin has a very good voice, both singing and the shouting. The lyrics are very meaningful, without resorting to swearing at any point during the album. If you are a swearing freak, then go and listen to Limp Bizkit or something because Thrice won't be for you. Thrice will be for you if you appreciate clever music.
Teppei does some amazing riffs and plays some beautiful pieces of guitar. Riley is a fantastic drummer, certainly not plain, but not over the top either and Eddie does his job nicely as a bassist. As a group, they work fantastically together.
Songs like "Deadbolt", "Kill Me Quickly", "The Beltsville Crucible" and "To Awake And Avenge The Dead," are fantastic and deserve to be in any music lovers collection. This music isn't easy going, but it is fantastic. It's my favourite album, and if your tastes are in this section of the rock market, then it will quite possibly become yours also.
The sound quality is also very good, something you don't ALWAYS recieve from underground record labels like SUB CITY but on "The Illusion Of Safety" the sound quality definately delivers.
Do your ears a favour and go and buy now! >_<

The Artist In The Ambulance
The Artist In The Ambulance

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Hardcore Band Out There!!!!, 13 Feb. 2004
I will start my review by saying that Thrice are one of my favourite bands, and ever since I bought this album I needed no convincing that this was a great album. It is simply the greatest hardcore album that I own, and one which I thoroughly love.
Thrice are like in-between Finch and Poison The Well in terms of heaviness, yet they outstrip Finch due to their overall quality of music and they pack more emotion into their songs than PTW simply due to the more clever lyrics and more melodic parts rather than just constant screaming. This isn’t saying that Thrice are an easy-listening band because they simply aren’t, the thumping bass, great guitar riffs and fantastic visceral lyrics (both shouting and singing) can at times give you a headache, but it’s worth it in the long run.
If you are thinking off purchasing this album simply off hearing “Stare At The Sun” then I would re-consider simply because that is not a fair reflection of Thrice. Thrice on a whole are much heavier than “SATS”. If you prefer the lighter style of “SATS” rather than heavier stuff, then it is doubtful that you will enjoy this album as much as others. If that is the case, then Thrice aren’t really for you, and you should delve into the music market a little further. However, if you feel you can cope with “Hardcore” then that is great, because the greatest band in the world awaits.
Also, the fact that they donate a certain % to the Syrentha J. Savio Endowment charity is another reason to splash out on this album. Basically, Thrice are a great hardcore band, but your tastes will vary on this band depending on the type of heaviness that you are used to in music. If you are used to the heavy stuff, then you’ll love Thrice, that’s a guarantee, as I do. I will be going watching Thrice live in the next month, and I’m excited already (get your tickets NOW!
Dustin, the lead singer and songwriter, has created some wonderful songs and his talent is immeasurable. Also, Teppei is amazing on lead, giving you some wonderful riffs as well as some pumping chords that make your ears shout “More More More!” Eddie is a cool bassist, and Riley is a beast at keeping the ol’ beat with a few flourishes to spice the music up also.
Great band, great album; if you feel you can handle it, then go and buy this. >_<

Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Start Something? Indeed They Will., 24 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Start Something (Audio CD)
Before I start, I would just like to thank the 'Prophets for many hours of listening pleasure, of this album and their previous attempt which both make music to my ears.
After thoroughly listening to "The Fake Sound Of Progress LP" and wearing the CD down through thorough use, when I was offered a chance to recieve a copied version of this new CD I jumped at the opportunity, in hope to skip the two months wait until it was released.
And I would like to say that I am not in any way dissapointed. It is by far my favorite CD out of the forty that I have in my collection, just the great visceral lyrics, pumping guitars, great bass and drums they just combine to form an all round godly sound. Their songs in themselves are nothing short of miracles, that I'm sure you'll agree with.
I am going to the 'Prophets concert in Manchester, on the strength of these two CDs, and seriously, I cannot sing their praises high enough. Songs like:
We Still Kill The Old Way
Burn Burn
We Are Godzilla, You Are Japan
: are the sort of songs that you just need in your life.
You need this album in your life, go on, it's worth it!

... And Out Come The Wolves
... And Out Come The Wolves

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Listed MIA !, 24 Dec. 2003
One of, if not Rancid's most famous albums and by no means thier worst.
A good album and the best songs are:
Time Bomb,
Listed M.I.A ,
Ruby Soho,
Olympia WA,
and my personal favourite(on this album); Maxwell Murder, because it has the best bass solo in any song I've ever heard.
The album is only let down by Tim Armstrong's singing, which is too course for my liking, and a little too raspy (because Tim has a lisp.)
Overall though, the level of songwriting is great, and the melodies are very good and uplifting. You are left with a nice punk album. Thanks Rancid!

Peter Kay - Live At The Bolton Albert Halls [DVD] [2003]
Peter Kay - Live At The Bolton Albert Halls [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Peter Kay
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Thing I Have EVER Seen!!!!, 19 Nov. 2003
I bought this DVD the week that I had flu, and there is only two words to describe this DVD……. laughter therapy!!!
I haven’t laughed in quite a lot time as hard as I did when watching this stand-up show first time through.
His brilliant observation of life adds amazingly to the show, and how he had managed to find side-splittingly funny things that everybody does, such as asking the taxi driver, “been busy?”
I also love how he can turn a perfectly plain story about dipping biscuits into your tea, or a crime scene on CrimeWatch into the side-splittingly funny thing that it is.
I would highly recommend this DVD, since Peter Kay is truly a marvellous stand-up comedian, and just for laughter value this is definitely worth it. I have been singing it’s praises to friends and family ever since my first viewing

The Stand (The Complete and Uncut Edition)
The Stand (The Complete and Uncut Edition)
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars M.O.O.N. That spells the best book I have read! Laws, yes., 15 Oct. 2003
The Stand is a classic story of survival, of good versus evil, written by the world’s best selling author. At first, I wasn’t sure whether to gamble on buying the book. Firstly, it is huge. Never before had I embarked a reading such a book in excess of 1000 pages and I wasn’t sure whether to make it a first. Luckily, I sucked up the courage and did it. I was lucky because what is underneath is one fantastic book.
It is about a virus that spreads rapidly around the world killing the vast majority of the world’s population. The survivors start to re-build their own lifestyle on either the side of the devil, or of an old black woman called Mother Abigail. There then is a stand, between good and evil. The story is divided into 3 sections; the first being about the virus, the second about them setting up their new life, and the third about the conflict between the two sides.
The story is filled with believable characters. Tom Cullen, the mildly retarded boy, who still likes to play with toy cars and comes up with some tremendous comments. Stu Redman, the quiet man from Texas who ends up with a lot of responsibility in his hands. Nick Andros, the deaf-mute who can only contact other people through his writing. Glen Bateman, a very clever, wise man who enjoys a good laugh. Larry Underwood, the rock star drugged up to his eyeballs, who then decides to change his life for the better and redeems himself. Frannie Goldsmith, the young girl who has one in the oven even before the superflu; and last but NOT least, Randall Flagg, the devil.
All of these characters (and the many more, this was just a quick list) you feel compassion or hatred, and can really sympathize with them and realise the position that they are in. You feel very close to the characters, and the book becomes a real part of your life. It has all the elements you would ever need in a book, romance, horror, adventure, grief, etc etc.
The only drawback to the this book, and I repeat the ONLY one; is that whilst some move at a great pace and have adrenaline up to the eyeballs, some parts (due to the size of the book) amble and meander along slightly. I must admit the second part to this book is quite a bit weaker than the other two, and a hell lot more descriptive.
Still, if you are looking for some adventure in your life, for something interesting to read or simply for something to do, invest your hard-earned cash in the stand. It’s one absolutely stunning read and I must say the best book I have read. And I’ve read a lot!

SoulCalibur II (PS2)
SoulCalibur II (PS2)
Offered by multimedia-online

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite Fighting Game!!!, 15 Oct. 2003
This review is from: SoulCalibur II (PS2) (Video Game)
I will start off by saying that I have been a fan of beat-‘em-ups for quite a while now. In my opinion, there is no finer genre out there. The feeling of kicking a buddy’s ass is tremendous I feel, and also the fact that the gameplay is so fluid, intense and adrenaline-filled just gives me a buzz. True, you may opt for longer-living puzzle games like Ico, but for me the excitement just isn’t quite there.
So after being a fan of beat-‘em-ups for quite a while, when I heard about the most hyped beat-‘em-up of all time; Soul Calibur 2; I simply had to get myself a copy. So I pre-ordered it. And I am not in the slightest disappointed with the game.
The game has an array of characters, each with their own personality and feel to the fighting. Some are easier for newbie’s to master, whilst some are increasingly difficult to master but are doubly rewarding. For instance, Voldo has lots of stances and different moves that HAVE to be learnt. If you were to choose him and press any button then you would get hammered. This variety between characters increases the game’s shelf life. For instance, you may opt to master one character one week and a different one the next.
The gameplay and graphics are solid. I haven’t seen prettier graphics anywhere on the PS2, they are simply gorgeous. The gameplay is very very fluid, and could be mistaken for real-life fighting. Where Tekken is like a phrase, in that it ends once the combo ends; Soul Calibur is like a descriptive sentence with commas that flows on and on, maybe with a pause here and there. The gameplay is adrenaline-filled and fun to play.
There is also the “Weapon Master” mode that gives you a goal when playing on your own. You can work through it to get better weapons and costumes etc. Sure Arcade mode is fun, but the “Weapon Master” gives it a little bit of purpose, a little bit of finesse.
Overall it’s a lovely game and one which I would encourage you to buy. If I could only keep one game for the PS2 this would be it!!!

Dutty Rock [New Version]
Dutty Rock [New Version]

1.0 out of 5 stars Really.... I hate this guy!!, 5 Oct. 2003
In short, Sean Paul is a waste of time, and I don't know why anybody actually purchases this music (actually I don't know how anybody can call this music.) It is dreadful.
He has a really deep and irritating voice; and everything about him makes you loathe him. His lyrics are usually about drugs etc. I just really wish that somebody good would get into the charts and kick off all this retro-style rap.
Don't be fooled by the fact he is near top of the charts, he is a really boring music artist. Invest your music in something with a GUITAR in it, or at least some sort of time rather than somebody with a monotonic voice.
Just my $.02.

28 Days Later (2002) [DVD]
28 Days Later (2002) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cillian Murphy
Offered by I-Deal Media

4.0 out of 5 stars High On Ketchup, And Sometimes Mindless, But Fun Overall!, 21 Sept. 2003
This review is from: 28 Days Later (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
The story starts when a virus is unleashed into the world; a virus called Rage which turns the receiver into a state of murderous rage.
A man called Jim, a cycle courier, wakes up from a coma 28 Days Later from the day the virus was released to find London deserted, except for two people called Salina and Mark.
They then find two other people, called Hannah (an adolescent girl) and Frank, who is Hannah’s father. They then take a big trek up to Manchester (whilst being constantly attacked by trillions of Rage carriers) where help is supposed to be lying.
They get there; but all is not what it seems………
Overall, not that bad a film, just a little bit heavy on the ketchup, and a bit mindless. It is every few minutes that they are getting attacked by hordes of zombies, with blood flying everywhere, other people hacking other people to death, and bullets ricocheting into people’s torsos.
I feel if it wasn’t quite as heavy on the gore, and could have a little better plot, or some more events then the film as a whole would benefit.
But if you like hordes of undead soldiers and LOTS of gore then you’ll enjoy this.

The Penguin Dictionary of Geography (Penguin Reference Books)
The Penguin Dictionary of Geography (Penguin Reference Books)
by Audrey N. Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough, and will contain all the words you need., 21 Sept. 2003
A very high quality geographical dictionary, that will contain all the words you need EVER. The dictionary goes very in-depth with each of the words you will look up meaning that you will have a very good understanding of a word after you have searched for it.
This dictionary contains annotated diagrams, and graphs/tables etc, just to help you that little bit more. Very useful if you are studying Human or Physical Geography, or if you are just learning about it or dabbling in it in your own time.
Very very high quality; if you are buying a Geography Dictionary make sure you invest you're money in this one. It'll be worth it!!!

Page: 1 | 2