Profile for Alexander Matthews > Reviews

Norpro Cast Iron Bacon Press 8.75" W/ Wood Handle Doubles as Panini Press NEW
Norpro Cast Iron Bacon Press 8.75" W/ Wood Handle Doubles as Panini Press NEW
Offered by US-Kitchen Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Home Should Have One, 20 Nov 2013
First identified this product in the USA a fwe weeks ago but didn't buy at the time because of weight restrictions on flight and believing I'd find one in the UK. Got blank stares in kitchen shops but found it at Amazon. I don't know where it started its journey (final postmark was Belgium or Holland - I forget which) but it reached me in less than a week from my order.

Crispy bacon and burgers have never tasted so good (I haven't tried it on steak yet but I'm sure it will be just as successful). It is well made and will probably outlast me - but don't drop it on the tiled kitchen floor.

My thanks to all who played their part in enhancing my breakfast experience.

A R N Matthews

Hozelock Vortex 2n1 Sprinkler 2520
Hozelock Vortex 2n1 Sprinkler 2520

4.0 out of 5 stars Hozelock 2520 Vortex 2-n-1 Sprinkler, 29 July 2009
The Vortex sprinkler could not be simpler but is 100% effective, with such a simple operating principle as to be more or less fool proof and maintenance free. I say "more or less" since my own first experience was less than encouraging - until I discovered that a piece of dead leaf had partially obstructed the filter through which water enters the spray chamber. Easily fixed, and apart from such a simple glitch there's nothing to go wrong - and it drenches an even bigger area than my previous rather complicated Hozelock sprinkler.

One slight apprehension - I'm not sure how well it would stand up to being dropped on a hard surface. Seems a tad fragile , but maybe that's just me.

A R N Matthews
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2011 8:58 AM BST

The Chambers Dictionary Thumb Index, 11th edition
The Chambers Dictionary Thumb Index, 11th edition
by Chambers

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cruciverbalist's Bible, 18 April 2009
It is almost obligatory that anyone seriously into crossword puzzles must keep up with the latest edition of this crucial publication. It's not that each new crop of words enriches our vocabulary in any practical way but those who compile the puzzles obviously scour each edition for gems that weren't in the previous one. Even if it's never used for anything else, the crossword buff must automatically award five stars for the content, but I can't think what possessed me to go for the thumb index version - a useless device that can only serve to accelerate the onset of dog ears.