Profile for Mr. M. Powell > Reviews

Mr. M. Powell

PestBye Battery Operated Cat Repeller - Ultrasonic Cat Scarer
PestBye Battery Operated Cat Repeller - Ultrasonic Cat Scarer

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 11 July 2015
I'm a week into using two of these repellers they seem to have done the trick. The cat which was prowling around and taking a dump on our path has gone. The product feels a bit cheap when you first take it out of the box, but considering the price I'd recommend them. Couple of points: Simple to install (about 10 minutes), they emit a high pitch ticking sound when you cross their path. I can just hear it even at the highest pitch setting, but others I've asked can't. You know it's working because of a blue glow from the PIR unit when the sound goes off. Haven't had any issues with batteries running low, I was worried that plants swaying would set it off, but this hasn't been an issue. All in all, a good humane option.

EcoAir DD122 Simple Desiccant Dehumidifier, 7 L - Blue
EcoAir DD122 Simple Desiccant Dehumidifier, 7 L - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this, 6 Dec. 2014
Very happy with this. It's about the size of a hand-luggage suitcase, it pulls about half a pint of water an hour out of the atmosphere, is clean and quiet when on the half-power setting, and pushes out a nice warm flow of air whilst it's working. Has reduced condensation on my windows, so would definitely recommend it for your average home in winter.

Samsung UE19D4000 19-inch Widescreen HD Ready LED Television with Freeview
Samsung UE19D4000 19-inch Widescreen HD Ready LED Television with Freeview

2.0 out of 5 stars Tinny sound, 9 July 2011
On first impression this tv is deliciously thin and stylish, but I returned it within a couple of hours of owning it due to the terrible audio quality. It sounds like a clock radio - no bass, even on the best setting. Apparently, its quite common for small LED tv's to have tinny sound, but I exchanged this model for 22" JVC with Dolby and I'm much happier.

If you have some powered speakers to hand, you should be okay, the picture is good and the set is more solid than wobbly cheaper models. However, even if this is a second set for a bedroom, the sound quality will disappoint.

Cops and Robbers (Picture Puffin)
Cops and Robbers (Picture Puffin)
by Allan Ahlberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Ho Ho for the robbers!, 21 Sept. 2008
This is an outstanding book for children, with fascinating, detailed illustrations and a beautiful rhyming flow to the story. My 3 and a half year old daughter insists on me reading it to her whenever I am on bedtime story duty. Look out for Grandma Swagg on the final page, pinching sausages!

Sony KDL32S3000 - 32'' Widescreen Bravia HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Bravia - sometimes the obvious choice is the right choice, 31 Mar. 2008
I was pretty content with my old widescreen Sony Trinitron, but made the jump to the 32" Bravia LCD when the price fell to my liking. You can always get it for a few quid cheaper elsewhere (I looked around using all the price comparison sites), but I like knowing who I'm buying from, and when it arrived two working days after placing my order with Amazon, I knew I'd done the right thing.

This TV is great. Everything everyone else says is true - clean picture, simple to get it going, easy to adjust colours, easy on screen nav etc. What I would add is:
1. It has a nice, clear remote control with everything in the right place.
2. I had no problems pairing it up with my V+ box and DVD player using an HDMI cable (although you will need to adjust your box settings to tell it to push out a 720 high def signal)
3. If you have an Xbox, PS3, or are buying a very big screen, consider the Sony KDL32D3000
4. Everyone seems to be talking about the 'well known supermarket' deal, but this buys you a Sony KDL32U3000, which has a lower spec.

My only criticisms of all LCD tv's - and the Bravia is no exception - is that the colour does get considerably weaker if you view it from an acute angle, and because the screen isn't glass, it's more vulnerable to attack from small children. Nevertheless, this is a super tv that you won't regret buying.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon Ixus - speed is everything, 29 Dec. 2006
The best thing about the Canon Ixus 800IS is it's speed. Press the power button and its ready to take a photo in a fraction of a second. When you view photos it displays them crisply - as fast as you want to skip through them. Plus theres very little delay between pressing the shutter and it taking the shot, and the zoom is responsive compared to an equally priced Sony - This speed makes for a really frustration-free experience.

I haven't seen a drastic improvement in image quality from my old Olympus Mju, but I'm still glad I bought this - its quality, easy to use and solid.

ON THE GO BOOSTER SEAT
ON THE GO BOOSTER SEAT

4.0 out of 5 stars On the Go, 4 Dec. 2006
This review is from: ON THE GO BOOSTER SEAT (Toy)
I'd call this a must have item for new parents who are out and about. Folded up, this booster seat is small enough to tuck into a buggy, and it makes life much easier in restuarants and cafes. I wouldnt leave our baby in it unattended, but provided you're sat at the same table, its quick to set up, straps to almost every type of chair, and wipes clean. A smart idea.