Profile for OTFD2010 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Induro AKB2 Adventure Tripod Kit
Induro AKB2 Adventure Tripod Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, top quality product, 22 Mar. 2014
We have a timelapse system that carries a camera along a 6 foot track as it takes photos. We were recommended two of these for their quick release capabilities, their handling and their build. And we cannot fault them at all. We've had them for almost two years now and they're in great condition. Everything is still working.

Some tripods suffer bad design, using cheap plastic mechanisms. However, the Induro AKB2 design is lightweight, and nowhere near cheaply built. Even after two years all the locks and grips are in great condition.

It comes with a carry case, which has protected the product from the elements when we've been out, or had them thrown in the boot of the car. It comes with ONE quick release plate. I recommend buying a couple of spares, just so you can quickly switch between devices.

Overall these are top quality, quick release works a treat, strong, lightweight and survive in all conditions.

WD My Passport Studio 1TB Portable Hard Drive with Firewire and Metal Casing - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid device. And quick., 22 Mar. 2014
I bought one of these for our studio as we required separate storage via Firewire to reduce the strain on our main CPU and storage system. It works exactly as described, and is fast too.

My only issue with this, and the reason for the 4 stars, is the confusion between what it's called, and other WD accessories. Basically, Western Digital also sell hard cases for their external HDD's. I bought one branded as "WD Nomad Rugged Case for My Passport". Unfortunately, the Nomad hard case is too small for this HDD. I assumed all the drives branded as My Passport were the same dimensions. Turns out they aren't. Just something to be aware of.

331PVD 1CH Passive Video Balun With Video Power Data Audio
331PVD 1CH Passive Video Balun With Video Power Data Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a CCTV system, using a standard network cable, 22 Mar. 2014
I use these throughout my home for our CCTV system. Using network cable is so much easier than running separate power and video cables. The added ability to have PTZ (Pan Tilt Zoom) control is excellent. Works a treat. Using network cable means you can also upgrade your system later to baluns which also have the audio circuits.

SoundMAGIC E10M Isolating Earphones with Apple Mic - Black/Gold
SoundMAGIC E10M Isolating Earphones with Apple Mic - Black/Gold

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound quality, though not exactly like the picture!, 22 Mar. 2014
Firstly, the sound quality on these is great but I've given this 4 stars because there are slight differences between the image and the item. I went for the black/gold version. To my eye, they are pink in real life and not gold! I was expecting them to be a dark gold colour, almost brown copper. But they're more skin tone. Also, from the image it looks like the control section is chromed and copper too, whereas it's actually plastic. And definitely pink. Feel free to do a Google search and you'll see the difference.

However, the quality of the sound is second to none. I've had many types of headphones over the years and struggled to find a pair that stayed in my ear, had significant bass and inline control. These tick all the boxes for me. Plus a mic thrown in for good measure with the E10M version (the E10 doesn't have a mic).

The other issue I had initially is that the description said you can skip the tracks back and forward. I've never had an inline control before so it took me a while to figure it out. The skipping control is as follows; a quick double-press of the centre button (the pause and play button) will skip forward, a quick triple press skips back a track. I haven't found a way of being able to fast forward or scrub rewind through the track. I'm not sure that's actually possible.

Overall, I'm used to wearing rather expensive £300+ Sennheiser 650 over-ear headphones, but I hate wearing them out and about. These SoundMAGIC E10M headphones are just as good with the sound quality (in my opinion) being comparable to what I'd hear with the expensive Sennheisers.

Just be cautious of the black/gold colours. I wish I'd gone for black/silver instead, which would have been £8 cheaper too.

2400w Continuous Light Kit -3X Adjust Light Stand 3X Red Head Continuous Light Projectors Lighting Kit for Video Shooting 2400W Redhead +12X 6" Barn Door +3x 800W Halogen bulb +3 adjust Light Stand + Case and so on-3x 800W Redhead Continuous light kit -800 Watt Red Head Quartz Tungsten
Offered by bpsltduk

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter kit, though cheap plastic., 28 Feb. 2014
I've used these for more than 18 months now. Only one bulb has gone in that time. They do get incredibly hot, which is to be expected. They are powerful, and perfect for 3 point lighting.

Only issue to complain about is that the plastic lock mechanism on one of the stands no longer works. The steel bolt inside the plastic clip just rotates when you turn the lock. This means I cannot extend one of the stands. It can be pulled up and forced back again, but I expected the plastic to be more rigid, and not just warp.

Disguise Tron Legacy - Deluxe Adult Costume Size Standard (Standard)
Disguise Tron Legacy - Deluxe Adult Costume Size Standard (Standard)
Offered by WholesaleHalloweenCostumes

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, if not slightly flimsy, 28 Feb. 2014
These feel more like pyjamas. The material is thin elastic material. It's well constructed with double stitching etc, and has velcro closures up the back. Mine was rather wrinkled when it arrived, and I've been struggling to get rid of them either with an iron or with a steamer. I know there are a couple of different types of this "costume".

I can confirm the one I received is the same as the one in the image and not the other dodgy copy I've seen elsewhere. It's also possible to get extra segments from eBay which do actually light up, but these can cost more than the costume itself.

AVerMedia C875 (GL710) - Live Gamer Portable (LGP) - HD Game Capture for PC/PS3 & 4/Wii U/Xbox360 and one up to 1080p, 60Mbps
Offered by elevenfirst

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, and works on Mac now too!, 26 Feb. 2014
This device does exactly what it says it'll do. It's small (about the size of a large smartphone), comes with all the cable connections you'll require for capturing (HDMI, A/V) and can capture straight to an SD card without having to use a PC or Mac as an interface.

I work in telly, and sometimes there are shows on my Sky+ box I'd like to keep. I used to use a DVD recorder to record episodes, copy the DVD onto my Mac, re-encode the video to an editable version and away I'd go. That method is not only massively time consuming, a waste of DVD's, but also provides poor quality video in the Edit.

However! Using this device, I can capture from my Xbox, video cameras and Sky+ box (via an HDMI splitter, which also removes HDCP) and can record the clips I'd like to keep straight onto my Mac in FULL HD. And yes, I do mean *Mac*. AVerMedia currently (Feb 2014) have Beta versions of the RECentral software that works perfectly on Mac. I use it, and have no problems at all.

I mainly purchased this device because you can record straight to SD card. This simple feature is such a time saver! It now means I can record the same clips I want to edit straight onto a card and edit them later, without having to have a PC or Mac connected. I can capture clips at work, or a friends house, or anywhere there is an HDMI cable. Brilliant concept.

The only main thing to be aware of with capturing HDMI (and this goes for any HDMI capture device, including my Matrox MX02) is a thing called HDCP. HDCP is a Copyright Protection method employed across HDMI. It means that some HDMI video cannot be captured. I use a splitter box which sends one HDMI signal to 4 outputs, and this splitter also had the unexpected bonus of stripping out that HDCP protection. If you'd like more information on that splitter box, you can read about it on my blog over at Mercian Media (dot) co (dot) uk: http://goo.gl/SZKavn
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2014 10:03 PM GMT

WD Nomad Rugged Case for My Passport Hard Drive
WD Nomad Rugged Case for My Passport Hard Drive

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not fit all WD Passport HDD's, 18 Feb. 2014
I bought this for my WD My Passport Studio. Unfortunately my HDD is a different shape, and therefore this case doesn't fit. The description needs to be clearer to specify what sizes fit.

Black Adjustable Extendable Handheld Monopod+Tripod Mount Adapter for GoPro Hero
Offered by Mestall(Ship from HongKong)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite useful!, 18 Feb. 2014
I bought one of these as a cheap alternative to buying a GoPro pole, mainly as this one has a screw hole in the bottom and allows it to be attached to other things. Unfortunately attaching my rather light-weight GoPro was problematic. The GoPro simply started to rotate till it was upside-down! The aluminium poles have no friction to them, and this makes it redundant for what I wanted it for. Attaching anything heavier than a GoPro is impossible. I certainly can't use it with my Canon 5D or 550D.

If you need a GoPro extension pole that is useable, go for the official GoPro Reach pole. The official GoPro item allows you to twist the extending segments which causes them to tighten with friction and therefore a heavy attachment will not rotate if heavy.

The Goblins of Labyrinth
The Goblins of Labyrinth
by Brian Froud

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and magical!, 18 Feb. 2014
As an 80's kid I grew up watching the movie Labyrinth over and over. This book delves into the goblins from the world of Labyrinth, and at no point does it disappoint. Every page rediscovers those fabulous characters, giving insight into their history and being. Absolutely love this book!

Page: 1 | 2