Profile for Slawkenbergius > Reviews

Metro 2033 (PC DVD)
Offered by Digitalville UK

4.0 out of 5 stars how to get it working, 4 Dec 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Metro 2033 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I'm writing this in case anyone else has the same difficulties I had. When I ran the setup file and tried to enter the product key, the installer kept telling me it was an invalid key so I couldn't proceed. What I had to do was:

1) go into the Steam client

Roland 32 Key MIDI Keyboard Controller
Roland 32 Key MIDI Keyboard Controller
Offered by EESMusic

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent MIDI controller, 28 Aug 2012
I bought this as the primary MIDI controller for my bedroom recording set-up and have been very happy with it so far. Knobs, buttons, sliders and keys are of a decent quality and have a nice feel about them, with just the right level of resistance. The biggest issue I have is with the 'dynamic pad', which I sometimes find doesn't respond the way I would like, skipping notes/beats here and there.

The manual is also a bit daunting for those like me who have no experience with MIDI, as it seems to assume prior knowledge. I wasted a fair amount of time trying to work out how to program control maps and the like, before realising that I could just make the settings in my DAW.

The keyboard looks like it would be a good size to travel or gig with. If I had the space I would have probably bought the next size up though, just for the extra range on the keyboard. Fortunately there are convenient buttons for transposing up/down octaves, and you can also transpose by semitones - useful if you like playing pentatonics and find it easier using just the black keys.

As a side note, I'm using this on the Windows 8 release preview. The drivers didn't work straight from the disc as they detected it was not a supported OS, but with a bit of searching the net I found a workaround which works perfectly.

All You Need Is Love : The Story Of Popular Music - Tony Palmer's Classic Series [5 Discs - NTSC Region 0] [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Lennon
Offered by Good Guys Media

4.0 out of 5 stars It's the transfer what lets it down, 14 May 2008
Apparently these documentaries have been remastered for this DVD, but the quality (especially the picture) still leaves much to be desired. There is enough noise and digital grain to actually spoil the viewing experience slightly - a massive shame as there is some absolutely amazing footage.

If this were re-released tomorrow with improved visuals and sound, I'd rush out and buy it all over again... it really is that good. As it is, something's better than nothing and this is great TV in a way that is unlikely to be repeated.