Profile for Michael Wadge > Reviews

Content by Michael Wadge

Michael Wadge (Bristol England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Classic FM - Summer Guitar
Classic FM - Summer Guitar
Price: 9.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Wadge of Bristol, 11 Aug 2009
This is excellent value and, like other Classic FM CDs I have purchased very well recorded. I particularly enjoyed listening to the new pieces specially composed for the CD and especially the one written by John Brunning who is also my favourite presenter on Classic FM. However, the music is not just the usual hackneyed mixture put together by all too many record companies.

Tormis: Choral music
Tormis: Choral music
Price: 14.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike Wadge Bristol, 5 July 2009
This review is from: Tormis: Choral music (Audio CD)
Tormis's music was completely unknown to me until I saw the excellent reviews given by the Sunday Times of this particular CD. I am very familiar with the music of his fellow Estonian, Arvo Part, who, of course, has achieved international renown, but the music of Tormis on this CD is very different. It is performed quite admirably and is very distinctive in its flavour. I have certainly never heard anything like it before. For adventurous listeners of modern, but accessible, classical music this is a must acquisition.

Howard Goodall / Enchanted Voices (Classic FM)
Howard Goodall / Enchanted Voices (Classic FM)
Price: 14.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike Wadge Bristol, 5 July 2009
I regularly listen to Classic FM in my car and the Station has been very heavily promoting this CD. I have loved classical music for many years and have a particular love of ethereal female voices. Thus this CD really seemed to tick all the right boxes for me and I have certainly not been disappointed. I suppose some listeners may become somewhat tired of the apparent lack of variety and generally slow tempos used by Howard Goodall but I do not find these cause me any problems at all, bearing in mind his vision of the message that he was trying to convey when composing the music. As an example of modern music successfully harking back to its roots in mediaeval plain chant, I think Howard Goodall should be congratulated on his achievement.

Farrar
Farrar
Price: 13.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Mike Wadge Bristol, 5 July 2009
This review is from: Farrar (Audio CD)
I first became familiar with Duncan Chisholm through his work with Julie Fowlis's Band. I last saw him with her in Bath in April. I have always enjoyed music with Celtic roots and I thought it was worth giving this CD a try. I have not been disappointed as his playing throughout is excellent. My only slight reservation is that I wish he had included more up tempo tracks. If he had done so, I would have without hesitation given the CD 5 stars. However, it is still well worth listening to.

Vaughan Williams: The Pilgrim's Progress
Vaughan Williams: The Pilgrim's Progress
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 21.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike Wadge, 26 Jun 2009
This is a wonderful work, stunningly recorded, as always, by Chandos. As a great lover of the music of Vaughan Williams I rate this as one of his very finest creations and the recording itself has now acquired an additional resonance for me following the tragic early death of the Conductor, Richard Hickox, who had a deep understanding of the music of Vaughan Williams. Very strongly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2010 3:29 PM BST

Goldberg Variations BWV 988
Goldberg Variations BWV 988
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike Wadge, 26 Jun 2009
I acquired this album some weeks ago and had the privilege of hearing Catrin perform The Goldberg Variations live at St Georges in Bristol. I was also able to have a brief word with her after the Concert at which time she signed my copy of the CD. I think her virtuosity is stunning and my only real criticism is that the harp is perhaps unable by its very nature to produce all of the nuances of the music as performed by the best pianists, such as, Glenn Gould, whose famous 1980s recording I also own. Despite this, I would strongly advise anyone who loves this work to give the CD an airing.

In Love + Light
In Love + Light
Price: 9.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Mike Wadge, 2 Jun 2009
This review is from: In Love + Light (Audio CD)
This is an excellent CD. Heidi Talbot has a rather unusual voice, which is perhaps best suited to some of the more reflective songs, such as Tom Wait's "Time", even though the lyrics are completely impenetrable! Her version of the old Ink Spots song "Whispering Grass" is also pretty extraordinary, but very enjoyable, all the same. The recording quality of the CD is very good. My only criticism is the very flimsy sleeve and virtually illegible lyrics in the accompanying booklet. Surely the record company could have done very much better than this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2010 9:15 AM BST

Contact
Contact
by Carl Sagan
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike W of Bristol, 29 April 2009
This review is from: Contact (Paperback)
I have a great interest in astronomy and have recently completed an excellent course at Bristol University. The course tutor recommended this book. I have found it to be a riveting read to date. I gather that a good film has been made which I have not yet seen but apparently the ending to the book itself is particularly intriguing and I cannot wait to find out what it is.

Carl Sagan, the Author, is a very eminent scientist and clearly knows what he is talking about.

This is a must for all people interested in astronomy and the possibility of extra terrestrial life.

Holst: Perfect Fool, The Lure, Golden Goose, Morning of the Year
Holst: Perfect Fool, The Lure, Golden Goose, Morning of the Year
Price: 14.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Mike W, 16 Mar 2009
I am very familiar with the music of Holst and the interpretations of it by Richard Hickox recorded on the Chandos label. Very sadly he died recently at the tender age of 60. As ever, the recording was impeccable and the music, most of which was already known to me but is, I suspect, not familiar to many classical music lovers, very enjoyable although not of Holst's highest quality.It was greatly enhanced by Hickox's obvious deep insight into Holst's less well known pieces and his music generally. I can recommend this CD unreservedly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8